Dune (2020)

spronk

FPS noob
you know dune is penetrating the zeitgest when even spirit halloween is getting into it

image0.jpg

• 9Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 10 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
The voice acting in the audiobook is pretty legit. I highly recommend it.
Simon Vance is always amazing. He does a really good version of Dracula. I've never been disappointed with any audiobook that he's narrated.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
This movie felt soulless and boring. Even compared to 1980s movie only thing improved was the special effects. Even if you ignore the SJW joggerwashing of the film it was missing any emotion. I give it a meh out of 10.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, for some reason they decided to not show ANY actual citizens or "real" people ANYWHERE.

Just empty vistas and large hallways.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is incredible in IMAX. It’s so rare to have a great sci fi movie.

• 1Solidarity

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
This was really good. I was pleasantly surprised.

Black Chani is as ridiculous as expected from previews but its one character in an otherwise really good movie. Aquaman was fine as Duncan; shaving the beard made a big difference.

First time I've seen ornithopters done right.

It bothers me they were using lasers left and right during the big attack, and no one said anything about it. Yeah, no chance there would be any shields active during a giant fucking attack, should be np to just fire lasers around randomly!

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Yueh (who they totally wasted as a character by never mentioning the breaking of his conditioning) disabled the shields on the building, the ships and individuals still have shields up, right?

spronk

FPS noob
to be fair atomics is more a 60s and 70s threat than to modern audiences, so I kinda get why the whole family atomics and lasers/shields thing was more or less stripped from the movie. I wonder if younger people even think about nuclear weapons as a real threat.

it is funny though how AI is more severe and pervasive threat today than it was in the 60s, but the movie also essentially strips that completely away. I'd expect it to be a big part of the TV show though, which revolves around the founding of the Bene Gesserit and should be at the tail end of the Butlerian Jihad.

also what the FUCK was that spider thing in the Harkonnen house, was that Yueh's wife?!?

• 1Solidarity

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finally saw it last night. it was ok. Sad to say it. I thought the cast was very good. Faithful to the books, a lot of times I knew exactly what they were going to say before they said it. It has to be really tough for someone new to Dune to catch all the nuance.

Gom Jabar scene was anti climactic. Didn't really sell how far he was able to go or the pain he suffered. Hunter Seeker scene was not great, although I did like the design a lot. Did they even mention Doctor Yueh's imperial conditioning? I may have missed it. I also didn't catch anything on Mentats and their function. I did like Stilgars scene when he met the Duke. I thought he did a good job portraying Fremen.

Other than the Ornithopters (awesome) everything seemed very generic. Hard to distinguish ships and soldiers, compare it to say Star Wars or Battlestar Galactica where you can tell at a glance who is who.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Finally saw it last night. it was ok. Sad to say it. I thought the cast was very good. Faithful to the books, a lot of times I knew exactly what they were going to say before they said it. It has to be really tough for someone new to Dune to catch all the nuance.

Gom Jabar scene was anti climactic. Didn't really sell how far he was able to go or the pain he suffered. Hunter Seeker scene was not great, although I did like the design a lot. Did they even mention Doctor Yueh's imperial conditioning? I may have missed it. I also didn't catch anything on Mentats and their function. I did like Stilgars scene when he met the Duke. I thought he did a good job portraying Fremen.

Other than the Ornithopters (awesome) everything seemed very generic. Hard to distinguish ships and soldiers, compare it to say Star Wars or Battlestar Galactica where you can tell at a glance who is who.

Yeah that's about the exact same as I felt. I am surprised how many are saying this was a good movie with how devoid of any substance it was. It has good source material, decent casting, but nothing in this movie had any feeling. It was a bland meal with no spice.

• 2Like
  • 1Cringe
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users