Dune (2020)

spronk

FPS noob
What was up with the Bulls/Bullfighting and Leto's Dad? Was that the one and only connection to their Greek/Minoan past or something? Or am I thinking too hard and was that just regular old Spanish bullfighting.

View attachment 379398

yeah bull fighting is a big part of Leto's Dads backstory, as they are walking away from his burial site on Caladan they make a passing reference as to how he died fighting bulls. The giant bull head that is crated I believe is the one that killed him.

I think its sort of meant to suggest that leto's dad was sort of the typical noble, doing weird personal shit and not too interested in galactic affairs, and Leto is much more into politics and stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
yeah bull fighting is a big part of Leto's Dads backstory, as they are walking away from his burial site on Caladan they make a passing reference as to how he died fighting bulls. The giant bull head that is crated I believe is the one that killed him.

I think its sort of meant to suggest that leto's dad was sort of the typical noble, doing weird personal shit and not too interested in galactic affairs, and Leto is much more into politics and stuff.

Leto's dad never gets more than passing references. I think from the fact that he raises someone so aware as Leto, that he probably was very keen on politics.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Wait are these humans descendants from earth or is this a galaxy far far away?
Don't know if anybody answered this one, but it's in the far future. After humanity has long left earth and colonized.

• 2Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
What was up with the Bulls/Bullfighting and Leto's Dad? Was that the one and only connection to their Greek/Minoan past or something? Or am I thinking too hard and was that just regular old Spanish bullfighting.

View attachment 379398

Leto's dad never gets more than passing references. I think from the fact that he raises someone so aware as Leto, that he probably was very keen on politics.

He enjoyed putting on a show for his people and the bull head is the one that got him. One of the horns is supposed to have his blood still on it.

Don't know if anybody answered this one, but it's in the far future. After humanity has long left earth and colonized.

So far in the future that Earth has been pretty much forgotten.

Sterling

El Presidente
i mean it's the far future but not absurdly so. it's about 10k years after the jihad which was about 10k years from now.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
People like you are the reason they can get away with this.

James Bond has always been a retarded franchise that I have zero attachment to. But for fucks sake, you're fine with blackwashing Bond because you get to fantasize about BBC while you watch him swagger? I didnt follow your logic.

Fuck black Chani and fuck black Chani's defenders. Chani is a white girl with red hair. Fuck any casting director that casts black people in white roles. Want to cast some black actors? Awesome. Tell a fucking story about black people you talentless fucking parasites.

At least the skinny jeaned leftist cucks get virtue signaling points for saying they like raceswapping. Whats in it for you?
Ginger alert.

• 2Worf

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I always assumed that the Fremen were based on early Israelites back when Jehovah was literally the God of the Desert.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
the fremen are based on arabs, they use a ton of arabic words in the 2021 movie including Mahdi (prophet), lisan al-gaib (teller of the future), sietch, and shai-hulud (immortal one). The book is even more arab for them with dozens of islam/arab references for the Fremen and their religious beliefs.

Later books bring up Jews as a seperate diaspora.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I know jack shit about the franchise other than I think i watched the original movie back in the 80's.

It was a good show. My wife who has read all the books liked it too and got excited when she read they were doing a trilogy. All in all, they knocked it out of the park here. I wish I could watch it in the theater to add to the box office, but I hate all my local theaters now. Maybe we'll buy tickets and not show.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I know jack shit about the franchise other than I think i watched the original movie back in the 80's.

It was a good show. My wife who has read all the books liked it too and got excited when she read they were doing a trilogy. All in all, they knocked it out of the park here. I wish I could watch it in the theater to add to the box office, but I hate all my local theaters now. Maybe we'll buy tickets and not show.
The voice acting in the audiobook is pretty legit. I highly recommend it.

• 2Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
My Buddy that I gave the tickets too ended up getting a refund because he wanted to keep our Bro-Date. This is what I call a good friend! We have rescheduled for mid-November, because life is busy and I am hoping I get my taste back by then so I can enjoy a few beers after the show.

• 1Solidarity

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
The problem with all these discussions about the history of the Dune universe is separating the fake, fucked up, bad-fan-fic history in those books that were never written, from any hints of the real history in the books themselves. Mixing the two won't lead to anything good or useful.

AFAIK the answer to most of these questions based on canon is "we don't know for sure", because Herbert didnt spell things out in that much detail for ancient history.

• 2Like

Burns

If you already have HBO, you could gift a month to a few people. I don't know if you can use paypal, but you should be able to use the 1 time credit card "gift cards." Sign someone up using their email account, then immediately cancel, for a 30 day gift and a small bump for Dune.

The HBO Max cancel page does not have a custom "why are you canceling" box, but it does have an option along the lines of, "I finished the show I wanted to watch."

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I am hoping I get my taste back by then so I can enjoy a few beers after the show.

Did you try miracle berries? Heard from a couple of friends who lost their taste after covid and got it back after trying them. They're supposed to make everything taste sweet for regular people. Like, you can drink vinegar and it would taste sweet. Anecdotally (those friends and people they knew and had try them) it seems to have an effect on people who lost their sense of taste about 30%- 50% of the time. One person I talked to said he got full taste back immediately. One lady said she gets taste back for about an hour at a time. I'd probably try them if I had that problem.

• 2Solidarity

Burns

Did you try miracle berries? Heard from a couple of friends who lost their taste after covid and got it back after trying them. They're supposed to make everything taste sweet for regular people. Like, you can drink vinegar and it would taste sweet. Anecdotally (those friends and people they knew and had try them) it seems to have an effect on people who lost their sense of taste about 30%- 50% of the time. One person I talked to said he got full taste back immediately. One lady said she gets taste back for about an hour at a time. I'd probably try them if I had that problem.

You can find growers that will sell frozen fruit and mail them too you in a cold pack. That is purportedly the best way to get them. You cut them up into small slices and let them sit on your tongue.

They always sounded interesting, but never tried one. They are supposed to do a bunch of neat stuff for taste (makes everything sour/bitter into candy). Such as Lemons and Limes taste like lemon & lime drops and Dark Beer turns into cream soda-ish flavor.

I have never tried them, but I ordered a dozen seeds, ~10 years ago, and tried to grown them for a few years, they are the slowest fucking plant I have ever seen. They are a tropical plant, so they grew decently well in Houston and Austin, but died in Dallas. It would need a temp and humidity controlled growing chamber for anywhere outside of the tropics (and very south side of the sub-tropics).

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>

These?

1635529462416.png

• 2Like