Dune (2020)

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I dont care how shit the list is, it has Dune. It could be 15 romance comedies and Dune and I would still subscribe.

Dont hate: how good is the original Dune? I started it, couldn’t get past about 10-15 minutes. Does it get a lot better?

• 1Clown World
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It is like a cult classic, not really a quality movie. I watched it a couple of times, and I would say its worth watching if you are a fan of Dune in general.

It does get better, yeah, and its fun to watch some of the things you read about be translated to screen. It doesnt get THAT much better though.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Dont hate: how good is the original Dune? I started it, couldn’t get past about 10-15 minutes. Does it get a lot better?
I'd read the book if you are interested enough. A LOT of what goes on in the dune series is character perception and insight/thought processes. It's the best stuff about the series by far and it's incredibly hard to translate to screen.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
lol, wrong thread
Nope. He was talking about how good the original Dune is.

1607201117122.png

1607201136589.png

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

nu_11

Dune 1984 does not get better. It's not a good movie nor is it faithful to the source material. But it is interesting.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
So is all the love for this upcoming Dune movie because of the books?
Because of the best selling sci fi books of all time, yes.

I read that on a book jacket once. Not gonna look it up and confirm cause it damn well should be true

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Because of the best selling sci fi books of all time, yes.

I read that on a book jacket once. Not gonna look it up and confirm cause it damn well should be true
I'm reading this post in a place that sells the world's best coffee. It says say on the sign out front.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

Nineteen Eighty-Four 30 million -------- Dystopian, political fiction, social science fiction
The Hunger Games 29 million (US only) --------- Adventure, Science fiction
Catching Fire 21 million (US only) --------- Adventure, Science fiction
Mockingjay 20 million (US only) --------- Adventure, Science fiction
Dune 20 million --------- Science fiction

from wikipedia, not verified, the Dune numbers were based on note from publisher from 2016. the Dune series is not listed

Star Wars 300+ books 160 million
Hunger Games 4 books 100 million
Discworld 41 books 90 million
Divergent trilogy 35 million

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Nineteen Eighty-Four 30 million -------- Dystopian, political fiction, social science fiction
The Hunger Games 29 million (US only) --------- Adventure, Science fiction
Catching Fire 21 million (US only) --------- Adventure, Science fiction
Mockingjay 20 million (US only) --------- Adventure, Science fiction
Dune 20 million --------- Science fiction

from wikipedia, not verified, the Dune numbers were based on note from publisher from 2016. the Dune series is not listed

Star Wars 300+ books 160 million
Hunger Games 4 books 100 million
Discworld 41 books 90 million
Divergent trilogy 35 million

1984 is a great book. Dune is also a great book. Hunger Games is shit.

• 2Like

Sterling

El Presidente
So is all the love for this upcoming Dune movie because of the books?
I mean that's why people were hyped for LOTR and that turned out pretty well. Awesome book, great director, interesting cast, has an excellent chance of being awesome.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
While I agree with you Lith about the streaming , theaters, especially the modern ones are still and event that you cannot duplicate that easily at home without tens of thousands of electronic and sound equipment. And even if you can set up a home movie theater in the basement or some shit, it still does not match the big huge IMAX screens and sound systems in modern movie theaters.
Those screens and sound systems hurt my neck and ears anyways.
grumpy old men oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I mean that's why people were hyped for LOTR and that turned out pretty well. Awesome book, great director, interesting cast, has an excellent chance of being awesome.

Sounds good to me! I didn't meany anything negative by it, for sure. I think the trailer looks good.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Movie theater sound systems are one of the best reasons to watch movies at home.

The big screen is awesome and has no downsides assuming you get a good seat.

In theaters, the sound that is always turned up roughly 5 to 10 times louder than it should be, with the bass cranked to 11, and a weird sound mix so the environmntal sounds make your seat rumble and your eardrums bleed but you still sometimes strain to hear dialogue (and theres no fucking subtitles option)

Sound is tied with concession prices for the worst thing about movie theaters.

• 2Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
For all the hate that movie gets it has really cool visuals and it's aged well.
Nah it’s a great movie.

Some of those same haters liked the final Season of Game of Thrones, Fallout 76 and Last Jedi.

Fuck Them Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users