Dune (2020)

Sterling

El Presidente
Nah it’s a great movie.

Some of those same haters liked the final Season of Game of Thrones, Fallout 76 and Last Jedi.

Fuck Them Schitts Creek GIF by CBC
Not sure I'd call it great. It is certainly very visually interesting. Some of the ways that it strays from the source material is really strange though, and not necessarily in good ways.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not sure I'd call it great. It is certainly very visually interesting. Some of the ways that it strays from the source material is really strange though, and not necessarily in good ways.
Nah it’s great shut your whore mouth.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Goatface

I’m hearing that Legendary Entertainment either has or will send legal letters to Warner Bros as soon as today, challenging the decision to put the Denis Villenueve-directed Dune into the HBO Max deal, and maybe Godzilla vs Kong as well. On the latter, Legendary reportedly had Netflix ready to pull the film from Warner Bros for around $250 million, before WarnerMedia blocked it. Sources said Legendary had no advance notice before last week’s announcement that both Dune and Godzilla vs. Kong were part of the HBO Max plan.

Legendary certainly seems to have the right to challenge WarnerMedia on its decision: Legendary and its partners provided 75% of the $165 million or so net budget of Dune, the adaptation of the Frank Herbert novel that was envisioned to be the first of multiple films exploiting the six-novel series. It put up a similar amount of the funding on the Godzilla vs. King film. Will the long-term viability of the franchises be tarnished by starting out as an HBO Max offering?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'll advise again

Everyone should read the first Dune book.

You will have an overwhelming desire to keep reading the other books in the series, but your enjoyment of those will vary person to person.

First book tho... A must read

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll advise again

You will have an overwhelming desire to keep reading the other books in the series, but your enjoyment of those will vary person to person.

I tried years ago to read it and gave up after a few attempts.

Thing is, it wasn't as captivating as the movie and seemed way to science-heavy.

Having read it last year fully for the first time I have to say I don't think it was worth the effort. Movie was still more enjoyable with the exception of the short-tongued sister ruining his owning of Sting at the end. Saying that, she grew up to be a hotty so I'm willing to give her a pass.

And the intonation on Everett McGill's Stilgar was awesome.

• 2Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I'll advise again

fap GIF

Ecology of Dune

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Sterling

El Presidente
I tried years ago to read it and gave up after a few attempts.

Thing is, it wasn't as captivating as the movie and seemed way to science-heavy.

Having read it last year fully for the first time I have to say I don't think it was worth the effort. Movie was still more enjoyable with the exception of the short-tongued sister ruining his owning of Sting at the end. Saying that, she grew up to be a hotty so I'm willing to give her a pass.

And the intonation on Everett McGill's Stilgar was awesome.
Too science-heavy? The book/story is more space fantasy than any real science. More Star Wars than The Martian.

• 5Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider

‘You Just Screwed the Film Business’: Panic Over the Warner Bros. News Sets In

The Hollywood opinion is obviously gonna be biased towards them, but even with that in mind, the announcement came as a "Holy Fuck, how do you make this announcement fucking everyone and not even tell us first?"

WB is probably going to have to buy out all their contract escalations, since they are based on a box office window and they are breaching that. They are going to have trouble getting anyone to promote these movies since box office doesnt matter. And to see any return at all, its estimated they will need to take HBO MAx subs from less than 9mil to over 25 to 30 mil over the next year.

The studio is run by two Streaming service guys who, if this is not successful for them, may have just burned every bridge in Hollywood.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
‘You Just Screwed the Film Business’: Panic Over the Warner Bros. News Sets In

The Hollywood opinion is obviously gonna be biased towards them, but even with that in mind, the announcement came as a "Holy Fuck, how do you make this announcement fucking everyone and not even tell us first?"

WB is probably going to have to buy out all their contract escalations, since they are based on a box office window and they are breaching that. They are going to have trouble getting anyone to promote these movies since box office doesnt matter. And to see any return at all, its estimated they will need to take HBO MAx subs from less than 9mil to over 25 to 30 mil over the next year.

The studio is run by two Streaming service guys who, if this is not successful for them, may have just burned every bridge in Hollywood.
To be fair, the best way to fuck someone is to not tell them you are going to fuck them before you slide it in. And as much as I rag (justifiably so) on ATT, they are still one mammothly sized company and can flip off most of Hollywood.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
It'll all work out in the end for them, I'm sure of it. We should be thankful WB decided to throw the first punch sooner rather than later. Now if only we could get something done about music copyright shenanigans on the internet.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I'll advise again

I tried it last year. My main problem with getting into it is that there's no introduction to the universe. It's just there with all these long drawn out places, people, and things that your brain has to keep track of without even really knowing where you are or what's going on.

I'd just read Dawn of Wonder, which is amazing at world buildling, so I found this certain aspect of Dune incredibly annoying and I never recovered.

• 1Pathetic

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Real shame they will only be able to retire with tens of millions of dollars instead of hundreds of millions.

• 1Worf

Oldbased

> Than U
Hah. Get fucked Hollywood.
Actors getting mega bucks for a few months work as basically a lying character art? Fine.
Actors getting more for 2-3 months work than hard working people will get in their lifetime? Get fucked.
Welcome to the future bitches!

1607424013017.png

• 6Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
Hah. Get fucked Hollywood.
Actors getting mega bucks for a few months work as basically a lying character art? Fine.
Actors getting more for 2-3 months work than hard working people will get in their lifetime? Get fucked.
Welcome to the future bitches!

View attachment 322090
When progressive liberal "Artists" decry your move... Its the right move.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I tried it last year. My main problem with getting into it is that there's no introduction to the universe. It's just there with all these long drawn out places, people, and things that your brain has to keep track of without even really knowing where you are or what's going on.

I'd just read Dawn of Wonder, which is amazing at world buildling, so I found this certain aspect of Dune incredibly annoying and I never recovered.
For me the first 100 pages were very hard. I had about three false starts over the years before I got past those 100 pages. With the help of some glossary references, once you make it past that you're golden.

I'm trying to think of some glossary items that will help the newfags.

Bene Gesserit: Space thots who try and shape the course of humanity
Melange: Intergalactic blow
Mentant: A human GeForce RTX 3090 . Computers are banned in the Dune universe due to AI becoming too woke and going all KILL ALL HUMANS.
Fremen: Badass sand ngz.

Don't think too hard on things like the box-o-pain and the Gom Jabbar. Just go with it.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
For me the first 100 pages were very hard. I had about three false starts over the years before I got past those 100 pages. With the help of some glossary references, once you make it past that you're golden.

I'm trying to think of some glossary items that will help the newfags.

Bene Gesserit: Space thots who try and shape the course of humanity
Melange: Intergalactic blow
Mentant: A human GeForce RTX 3090 . Computers are banned in the Dune universe due to AI becoming too woke and going all KILL ALL HUMANS.
Fremen: Badass sand ngz.

Don't think too hard on things like the box-o-pain and the Gom Jabbar. Just go with it.

Yeah, that would've helped a lot. But, honestly, I was already so salty that the author didn't explain that shit to me, the reader, I doubt it would've mattered.

Maybe I'll try again in 2021, but IDK.

Sterling

El Presidente
There's constant exposition, but a lot of stuff is left intentionally vague. If you prefer having everything explained then it's probably not a good series for you.

• 1Solidarity

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
There's constant exposition, but a lot of stuff is left intentionally vague. If you prefer having everything explained then it's probably not a good series for you.

There's a big gap between setting a foundation and explaining literally everything to the reader.

If you think that's what I'm saying, you're being obtuse.