Dune (2020)

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
So apparently a Children of Dune remaster was supposed to be coming Nov. 11th. Did that ever arrive?!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
People liked the test screening a lot.
tenor (2).gif

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Sounds like they're still negotiating whether or not Dune makes it to HBO Max. I just want whatever is best for a shot at Part II. If HBO Max wants to throw funding at a sequel or whatever, fuck it. Budget is apparently $165mm for Dune.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Baron Harkonnen looks way too clean in that clip.

I loved how diseased he appeared in the original with all those pustules. That scene where he pulls out the slave's heartplug is scarred on my mind.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hm, haven't been following the film much, so the apparent lack of a certain Harkonnen was a surprise.

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
#notmydune. I guarantee if you like the book you wont like this movie. The liet-kynes shows they have no respect for the source material. Also stop trying to make Zendaya a thing.

Dune-Chani-Zendaya.jpg

the outfit looks dope. But A how is she the daughter of black ass liet kynes. like charlie murphy black. and B she isnt good.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
#notmydune. I guarantee if you like the book you wont like this movie. The liet-kynes shows they have no respect for the source material. Also stop trying to make Zendaya a thing.

View attachment 332553

the outfit looks dope. But A how is she the daughter of black ass liet kynes. like charlie murphy black. and B she isnt good.
That girl looks like she would get tired of my sand worm innuendos very quickly.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Explain

Is it because it's a female cast?

Liet kynes being changed means they disregard the entire way the fremen culture works in the books.

Also randomly black. Even tho liet comes from the emperor himself which is supposedly also evil and white supremacist now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
In terms of executing a good Dune movie.. That's the least of my concerns

nu_11

In terms of executing a good Dune movie.. That's the least of my concerns
Quoting myself from before
Jason Mamoa is no Duncan Idaho. Duncan is a sleek, honorable, cool, and level-headed soldier/swordsman. Liken to how a samurai would carry himself. Jason Mamoa is a knuckleheaded, goofy caveman bro.

Also Liet Kynes is not some mystical black woman. He’s a white scientist who just gone Native like Kevin Costner in Dances With Wolves. Liet Kynes is not exotic, but he did mate with a Fremen woman.

I never got that Caladan was a dreary place. It’s supposed to be beautiful. And Paul leaves his beautiful planet for the harsh desert planet of Arrakis.

I’m really doubting Villeneuves choices.
According to Frank Herbert himself, Liet Kynes is supposed to represent "western man."

Liet Kynes is the planetary ecologist and thought as western man does. He collects data to parameterize the equations of planetary and ecological behavior. Western man uses data with the intent to subdue nature.
As Kynes is dying in the desert, he completely understands the technical details of what's happening to him. His manner of death is ironic and poignant. The planet will ultimately kill him despite his accumulation of data and knowledge about the planet, because Kynes is still subject to the systems of the planet. Kynes observes the planet. And the planet observes Kynes.

Liet Kynes is not a throwaway casting decision. And the best representation for "western man" should be a white man.

I don't expect that the essence of Frank Herbert's Dune will make it to the screen tbh

• 4Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser

According to Frank Herbert himself, Liet Kynes is supposed to represent "western man."

Liet Kynes is the planetary ecologist and thought as western man does. He collects data to parameterize the equations of planetary and ecological behavior. Western man uses data with the intent to subdue nature.
As Kynes is dying in the desert, he completely understands the technical details of what's happening to him. His manner of death is ironic and poignant. The planet will ultimately kill him despite his accumulation of data and knowledge about the planet, because Kynes is still subject to the systems of the planet. Kynes observes the planet. And the planet observes Kynes.

Liet Kynes is not a throwaway casting decision. And the best representation for "western man" should be a white man.

I don't expect that the essence of Frank Herbert's Dune will make it to the screen tbh
Litteral sand jogger, you mean?

Sterling

El Presidente

I don't totally disagree with some of this, but Villeneuve's track record is so good that I think it'll be a quality movie. There's a not unreasonable chance that it's an awesome movie that's not particularly faithful to the book which would certainly be an issue for purists for sure.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users