Dune (2020)

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Quoting myself from before

According to Frank Herbert himself, Liet Kynes is supposed to represent "western man."

Liet Kynes is the planetary ecologist and thought as western man does. He collects data to parameterize the equations of planetary and ecological behavior. Western man uses data with the intent to subdue nature.
As Kynes is dying in the desert, he completely understands the technical details of what's happening to him. His manner of death is ironic and poignant. The planet will ultimately kill him despite his accumulation of data and knowledge about the planet, because Kynes is still subject to the systems of the planet. Kynes observes the planet. And the planet observes Kynes.

Liet Kynes is not a throwaway casting decision. And the best representation for "western man" should be a white man.

I don't expect that the essence of Frank Herbert's Dune will make it to the screen tbh
A lot of assumptions for a single trailer

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
A lot of assumptions for a single trailer
Wikipedia said:
In adapting the book written in the 1960s for the 21st century, Villeneuve wanted to reflect on realities that have happened related to overexploitation of the Earth, and considered his screenplay "a coming-of-age story, but also a call for action for the youth".[28] Other changes included altering some of the arcs of the female characters in the book. According to Rebecca Ferguson, who was cast as Lady Jessica, "Denis was very respectful of Frank’s work in the book, [but] the quality of the arcs for [many] of the women have been brought up to a new level. There were some shifts he did, and they are beautifully portrayed now."[28] Lady Jessica was given an expanded role as a soldier as well as being part of the Bene Gesserit, which the studio labeled as a "warrior priestess", comparing to the joking label of "space nun" that Villeneuve felt the book gave across.[28] Dr. Liet Kynes, the ecologist on Arrakis who is male in the novel, was also given to a female lead Sharon Duncan-Brewster to help expand the cast diversity.[28] Villeneuve also wanted to move the Baron Vladimir Harkonnen from being a caricature as he was presented in the novel to a more complex antagonist.[28]
So one can hope that the Woke Garbage is limited but chances are small that "modern sensibilities" are scaled back so you don't have some serious Grrl Pwer!!! moments. /sad

Grez

Trakanon Raider
Explain

Is it because it's a female cast?
They made Liet-Kynes a female? That was dumb. Liet is basically the unofficial Fremen leader, the steward of the sands, guiding them.

And no man accepts leadership without the challenge of combat.

If the woman cast is an amazonian badass, I don't think there's an issue, but if not...

The western man can be a woman, even a black woman, just make sure that it's an intelligent scientist amazonian badass woman warrior and I think I'm ok with it, but I'm not a fanatic of the series, only familiar with it.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They made Liet-Kynes a female? That was dumb. Liet is basically the unofficial Fremen leader, the steward of the sands, guiding them.

If the woman cast is an amazonian badass, I don't think there's an issue, but if not...

The western man can be a woman, even a black woman, just make sure that it's an intelligent scientist amazonian badass woman warrior and I think I'm ok with i, but I'm not a fanatic of the series, only familiar with it.

1612339596710.png

• 5Worf
  • 2Barf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 7 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So one can hope that the Woke Garbage is limited but chances are small that "modern sensibilities" are scaled back so you don't have some serious Grrl Pwer!!! moments. /sad

Snipping one particular quote.

According to Rebecca Ferguson, who was cast as Lady Jessica, "Denis was very respectful of Frank’s work in the book, [but] the quality of the arcs for [many] of the women have been brought up to a new level.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong but some of the most powerful people in the galaxy were the Bene Gesserit witches. What new level could they aspire to beyond that? Are we going to see female Guild Navigators too?

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Wasn't meant to be racist, I don't know by that picture how big she is. Banana for scale is a meme.
Yeah, the giphy is also a meme. Was making a funny, metajoke. I thought, anyway. Don’t worry about it.

tenor.gif

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You will never find another piece of media that isnt tainted by the ilk of woke SJW bullshit again. If you want to enjoy anything that isnt tainted by SJW retardation you need be watching media from before 2010.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>

The western man can be a woman, even a black woman, just make sure that it's an intelligent scientist amazonian badass woman warrior and I think I'm ok with it, but I'm not a fanatic of the series, only familiar with it.

You will never find another piece of media that isnt tainted by the ilk of woke SJW bullshit again. If you want to enjoy anything that isnt tainted by SJW retardation you need be watching media from before 2010.
GIF by memecandy

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its not even subtle anymore. You can see right through the terrible writing and retarded premises. This "new media" is saturated in the worse kind of SJW wokeness, where its not even things like a certain character, or specific piece of dialogue, its literally part of the fabric of the show/movie. Everything revolves around these principles one way or another.

Its sad, as any producer of content in this day and age who doesnt go that route is labeled a sexist, bigot race monger.

• 3Like

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Like me, not a fanatic for Dune. Played the games and shit.
But I understand if people get mad even if it's about "minor" (debatable of course) changes.
Although i'm a purist, I think some changes look good if don't change too much the original idea, concept or behavior of the character.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Although i'm a purist, I think some changes look good if don't change too much the original idea, concept or behavior of the character.
Gender AND race swapping a character isnt exactly a minor change.

Ill definitely go see this, but will have to work hard to bite my tongue and shut off my brain.

• 1Solidarity

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Oh its just one minor character, its no big deal....

1612461745846.png

This is why you always fight this and call it out no matter what. A non white nobody gets brought into an incredibly popular series about white people being carried by a white man specifically because shes non white and the first thing she does? Says she doesnt want to work with people. Its a fucking cancer.

• 2Barf
  • 1Salty

Sterling

El Presidente
The only time it's gone the other way that I can think of off the top of my head is Mindy Park in the Martian being turned into a white girl instead of being Korean.