Dune (2020)

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Trolls be trollin.

Not delayed lol.

And yeah the dialogue from trailer was....

When Leto was talking to Paul and said some people answer the call and some dont, but he isnt worried either way because....YOU ARE MY SON.

Wut?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Denis was very respectful of Frank’s work in the book
Lady Jessica was given an expanded role as a soldier as well as being part of the Bene Gesserit, which the studio labeled as a "warrior priestess", comparing to the joking label of "space nun" that Villeneuve felt the book gave across.

These people live in an upside down universe.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Bene gesserit were assassin's, nuns & warriors all in one package. Their goal was to produce the perfect human. jessica was supposed to have a girl who in turn was to be bred with a harkonen.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Knowing how to fight doesnt make you a "soldier", as that implies you are something very specific.

Theyre an organization that used manipulation over thousands of years to achieve their goal. Describing them as soldiers shows they dont really understand whats going on.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
These people live in an upside down universe.

Right? They basically feel they could do a better job than Herbert to define Lady Jessica's character. I mean c'mon. Talk about hubris. Its considered one of (if not THE) greatest Sci-fi novels of all time. Maybe you should just not try and rewrite and re-define the source material.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Knowing how to fight doesnt make you a "soldier", as that implies you are something very specific.

Theyre an organization that used manipulation over thousands of years to achieve their goal. Describing them as soldiers shows they dont really understand whats going on.
The bene gesserit in the books are intentionally extremely non-interventionalists. They go to absurd lengths to keep some of the powers they already have secret and most of the assassinating they do is their own. Defining them as soldiers goes strictly against their code of remaining as neutral as possible and something they'd never adhere to, even quasi-traitorous bene gesserit like jessica. If I'm not mistaken, isn't there literally a scene where Jessica refuses to carry any extra weapons because bene gesserit aren't soldiers. The director using that term for one is a big sign he's retarded and doesn't understand Dune even a little.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
I would assume the issue is him using the term soldier, when he probably means it more as warrior. Also, sort of specific to her, her loyalties were at issue for much of the story.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
This isn't really a take I've come across before. I've seen people that just don't like either movie because the genre doesn't do it for them and I get that. But to really like the first one and hate 2049 is just strange to me.
I'm not particularly a huge fan of the original Bladerunner, but I respect it for the enormous impact it had culturally and visually that continues even today. As an example, George Lucas ripped it off big time for a lot of the visuals in the prequels, which severely dents his reputation as a 'uniquely creative genius' IMO.

What I DO think though is BR 2049 was shit. If not liking that boring pile of garbage makes me an edgelord then fuck it, consider me a master of the hidden art of the blade. Razorfist said it better than I ever could (and I don't even hate on Gosling as much as him, he was great in The Big Short, for instance):

As for Dune, I AM a huge fan of that. I've read the first book MANY times and I think it remains the finest work of science fiction ever written and that Frank Herbert was an underrated genius. In a just world, his son and Kevin J Anderson would be pariahs of the book industry for what they've done to Frank's legacy. But since we live in clown world they are rewarded with consulting credits on terrible prequel bullshit HBO series that will be churned out to be consumed by 90 IQ idiots, IE: anyone dumb enough to pay money for HBO max.

• 2Edgelord
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'm not particularly a huge fan of the original Bladerunner, but I respect it for the enormous impact it had culturally and visually that continues even today. As an example, George Lucas ripped it off big time for a lot of the visuals in the prequels, which severely dents his reputation as a 'uniquely creative genius' IMO.

What I DO think though is BR 2049 was shit. If not liking that boring pile of garbage makes me an edgelord then fuck it, consider me a master of the hidden art of the blade. Razorfist said it better than I ever could (and I don't even hate on Gosling as much as him, he was great in The Big Short, for instance):

As for Dune, I AM a huge fan of that. I've read the first book MANY times and I think it remains the finest work of science fiction ever written and that Frank Herbert was an underrated genius. In a just world, his son and Kevin J Anderson would be pariahs of the book industry for what they've done to Frank's legacy. But since we live in clown world they are rewarded with consulting credits on terrible prequel bullshit HBO series that will be churned out to be consumed by 90 IQ idiots, IE: anyone dumb enough to pay money for HBO max.
ROFL Razorfist? Lol now I'm pretty sure you're trolling.

• 1Like
  • 1Direct to DVD

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
ROFL Razorfist? Lol now I'm pretty sure you're trolling.
Anyone who says dune is the best sci fi ever written and doesn't look at book 4 is 100% troll mode. Maybe a small argument could be made for book 5, but book 4 is clear genius while book 5 is convoluted genius in the turmoil of descent. When someone comes up to me and says book 4 was when dune got weird, I can instantly identify a retard. A failed duncan as it'd be said in that context.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Great reply to substative criticism. Go fuck a hologram in a tranny-body, it might set your eyes right.
Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>

BR2049 is one of the very few movies I've seen in the cinema and actually contemplated walking out on mid film. I'll give it that the scenes were beautiful, but jesus fucking christ it was slow paced and boring. In the end I stuck it out but fuck me. It's why I'm not over eager about this film in spite of being a huge fan of the books. Sure, it's going to look amazing, but I doubt I'll enjoy the pacing.

• 1Edgelord
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>

spronk

FPS noob
For those who hated BR2049, did you also hate the original or like Blade Runner? The original imo was even slower and "not much going on for long scenes" than 2049.

BR2049 was a box office failure so it clearly didn't connect with audiences, but I've always found it fascinating how some people absolutely detest it. My wife hates it, and its because of the audio track - the deep bass BRRRRR stuff really just sets her teeth to edge and she literally got a headache watching it (walked out halfway thru). I love the movie and saw it like 3 times in theaters but I dunno really why, its not as philosophical as the OG but there is just something I enjoy about a simple story of a robot who wants to be a man living in a world that does not care about him. I mostly honestly just enjoyed the visuals, it just looks so amazing and on an imax/dolby screen with 100,000 watts of audio is a singular experience.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Original Blade Runner also tanked at the box office (as did all previous attempts to do Dune). This stuff just isn't 4-quadrant block buster material, generally speaking, even in non-Covid times.

In definitely makes sense on that end to give Dune trailers (the movie?) a spin towards space-action-flick-with-somewhat-more-hollywood-romance-subplot, I guess.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
The original BR was amazing. Apart from some of the visuals and both having Harrison Ford in I found very little similarity between the two. I just don't see these two films as all that similar.

• 2Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The original BR was amazing. Apart from some of the visuals and both having Harrison Ford in I found very little similarity between the two. I just don't see these two films as all that similar.
Original BR was crap. It's a great book and that movie takes a huge, steaming pile of shit on everything that book was about. The androids in the book are so convincing that the character struggles with the idea that he's just some murdering lunatic and the book does little to clear that up. Having an android go on some diatribe about android suffering and not die like a human is completely antithetical to the story.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Solidarity

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Great reply to substative criticism. Go fuck a hologram in a tranny-body, it might set your eyes right.
Substantive criticism from a guy who might as well be the fucking poster child for edgelords? Razorfist is literally Captain Edgelord. He's perpetually stuck in the fuckin' 1993 emo scene. Any adult male who wears fucking leather gloves unironically is Commander of fucking cringe. He's basically trying as hard as he can to be the American version of Yahtzee.

"Hurrrr durrrrr I'll string a bunch of word vomit with curse words together really quickly for 15 minutes and then raise my voice on the punchlines! I'll do this in black and white, with sunglasses and leather gloves on, indoors, while rocking a hair metal cut that went out of style 40 years ago and shitty ass posters can liter my wall likes it's 1986. Hell, we could even open and close the show to some edgy hair metal too!! Because that's how edgy I fuckin' am!!!!".

I'm fine with people thinking BR2049 was shit, especially if you weren't a big fan of the original. There are plenty of things to hate about BR and BR2049. The movies, to me, were always more about the atmosphere and cinematography though. The dialogue, "story", etc. always came second. That's why it's an especially shitty take to throw shade at the score when that's probably the 1st or 2nd best part of 2049. Hell, it's the same in the first movie too.