Dune (2020)

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
1630705470940.png

oof

1630705602076.png

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
This version might indeed be terrible, but that author seems like an insufferable cunt.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I'm immediately skeptical of that review for several reasons:

First, he wraps a ton of his criticisms in generalities and cleverly worded puns that actually don't mean much when you parse them out. His writing is unnecessarily dense and hard to decipher, which always makes me suspicious that the writer is more interested in how he's saying something than what he's actually saying. You are writing a review damnit, not the next to James Joyce novel.

Second, a ton of his criticisms seem to be centered around the original source material. He seems (again, it's hard to decipher) like he's suggesting the director should have altered more of the source material to make it fit some type of modern day political agenda. And anybody who would suggest that kind of bullshit immediately falls into my "not worth taking seriously" category.

He does list a few specific criticisms for the actual movie, but not many. Those criticisms are super similar to the criticisms he had for Blade Runner 2049, and I thought that was a fantastic movie.

So, yeah, I'm taking that review with a huge grain of salt.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So I'm immediately skeptical of that review for several reasons:

First, he wraps a ton of his criticisms in generalities and cleverly worded puns that actually don't mean much when you parse them out. His writing is unnecessarily dense and hard to decipher, which always makes me suspicious that the writer is more interested in how he's saying something than what he's actually saying. You are writing a review damnit, not the next to James Joyce novel.

Second, a ton of his criticisms seem to be centered around the original source material. He seems (again, it's hard to decipher) like he's suggesting the director should have altered more of the source material to make it fit some type of modern day political agenda. And anybody who would suggest that kind of bullshit immediately falls into my "not worth taking seriously" category.

He does list a few specific criticisms for the actual movie, but not many. Those criticisms are super similar to the criticisms he had for Blade Runner 2049, and I thought that was a fantastic movie.

So, yeah, I'm taking that review with a huge grain of salt.
I immediately dismiss any dip shit that thinks it’s important to put pronouns in their bio.
A9B9DFAF-D926-4AC5-BC96-8893E21D10C0.jpeg

• 6Like
  • 4Solidarity
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 11 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
LLR disagrees

I'm sure with enough Google searching I can figure out what you mean, but who is LLR and what does he disagree with?

Edit: Nm I know who you mean. Ok, well I haven't heard his argument but he's a pretty reasonable guy so /shrug

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
in 2021 critic reviews are pretty much meaningless, but even still I don't have much hope for this movie. I'm hoping its ok but knowing its part 1 of 2 is a real boner mind killer

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
in 2021 critic reviews are pretty much meaningless, but even still I don't have much hope for this movie. I'm hoping its ok but knowing its part 1 of 2 is a real boner mind killer

Yep, got suckered into seeing Candyman 2021 because I went by general critic score and didn't do a deep dive.

I'm not personally bothered by the fact that there is a part one and part two to Dune. The only time that stuff bothers me is if they drag it out by adding non-canon shit and it's clear they are doing it just for a money grab.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
If I remember correctly, its an elf who shows up exactly that one time in the book and has no further appearances in the Trilogy, so they just gave it to Arwen, since its a pretty meaningful moment wasted on someone the audience would otherwise never see again.
The book also had Frodo stand up to the Nazgul at that point, telling them to go fuck off. The movie? Not so much.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Two Towers is -not- perfect.. why the fuck would anyone say that? It basically ruined the stoicism of the character that was Faramir. Like I left the theatre going "wtf, why would they do that?" He's never entranced by the ring or what it could do; he finds out the hobbits' mission and lets them go, not obviously tempted and then a dick about it. That scene ruined the entire movie for me.
I think that's the one where Aragorn falls off a cliff, right? Lol.

• 1Pathetic

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Yep, got suckered into seeing Candyman 2021 because I went by general critic score and didn't do a deep dive.

I'm not personally bothered by the fact that there is a part one and part two to Dune. The only time that stuff bothers me is if they drag it out by adding non-canon shit and it's clear they are doing it just for a money grab.
They are totally doing it for a money grab. Dur.

• 2Salty

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

Just going to leave this here
I scanned through reviews today looking for people who appear to have actually read Dune, and for the people who are just gay movie homos: It appeared people who have actually read Dune, liked it in the same way most of us loved BR2049.

How that translates to actual revenue success? To be seen. Apparently, there are some huge battle set pieces, though... So maybe enough large-scale action brings enough people to "like" it.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

In 2021 a lot of "online movie critics" watch movies they review at home on their iPad with 720p watermarked versions. Some of them also don't really know how to criticize a movie anymore, they'll just tell you if they like or don't like the movie, sometimes with a out of place political / social comment based on their own life which you won't care because you don't know them.

I'm not saying all of them are bad at what they do, some still write interesting stuff, but they're so many of them nowadays the good ones are diluted into this giant mass of mostly online, amateur, uneducated and anonymous noise made to feed content aggregator websites. We needed quality, we got quantity.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
bout the only critics I listen to are critical drinker and RLM. I don't always line up with them, but usually it's a good indicator.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
bout the only critics I listen to are critical drinker and RLM. I don't always line up with them, but usually it's a good indicator.
Yep. The rest of them simply point out the obvious in too many words. Most critics are the Wal Mart door greeters of the writing world.

Juvarisx

Florida
Even if the movie is a giant pile of shit (and it doesnt look like it is), Id still see it anyways to continue to support giant scifi movies to be made. This shit isnt going to be transformers bad even if it was bad, so go fucking watch it in the theater or free of HBO max.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like