Dune (2020)

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
At this point who really cares if it adheres to the books.

I mean, yeah, the series has sold 20 million copies throughout the world since the first book was published over 50 years ago but it's still an inconsequential drop in the ocean compared to something like Harry Potter which has sold over 500 million copies since in less than half that time. I'm just happy to be getting something new to watch with explosions and mystical shit.

I'd guess of the people bitching hard about this there maybe one, maximum two, folks who actually give a shit about the source material. The rest of you being just angry fuckers hijacking yet another thread to push your racist bullshit.

• 3Pathetic
  • 2EyeRoll
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 13 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
That post reminds me of the conversation between the Duncan and Moneo where the Duncan breaks down and starts whining that he wears the colors and is a useful follower, and Moneo tries to fight the hysteria with logic, and just causes it to get worse.

To bad Moneo didn't know what a troll post is. How bout you go to the potato farming thread or somewhere where you are up to the task of contributing.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That post reminds me of the conversation between the Duncan and Moneo where the Duncan breaks down and starts whining that he wears the colors and is a useful follower, and Moneo tries to fight the hysteria with logic, and just causes it to get worse.

To bad Moneo didn't know what a troll post is. How bout you go to the potato farming thread or somewhere where you are up to the task of contributing.

I don't like potatoes.

spronk

FPS noob
wait we have a thread to talk about potato farming? don't you just stick a potato in the ground

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I actually have a copy of the one below in a box somewhere.
51xWm1UBwVL[1].jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Chani casting stems from the Liet casting. Not sure why people focus on the Chani casting when it makes sense in that context. If you're going to get worked up about race/gender swapping, that should be it.

• 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Chani casting stems from the Liet casting. Not sure why people focus on the Chani casting when it makes sense in that context. If you're going to get worked up about race/gender swapping, that should be it.
It's not about the Chani casting, it's about the 'Chani is the real star of part two' when she's actually a nothing character.

We've already beaten the terrible Liet casting into the ground.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
It's not about the Chani casting, it's about the 'Chani is the real star of part two' when she's actually a nothing character.

We've already beaten the terrible Liet casting into the ground.

Denis Villeneuve mentioned in a French interview with LaPresse in Quebec that Chani is not the star of the second movie. It’s a story about Paul. It’s something that was lost in translation. He just mentioned that he was very impressed with Zandaya and that she’s a real star.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Denis Villeneuve mentioned in a French interview with LaPresse in Quebec that Chani is not the star of the second movie. It’s a story about Paul. It’s something that was lost in translation. He just mentioned that he was very impressed with Zandaya and that she’s a real star.
Just like how Lady Jessica is a soldier was lost in translation as well.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I mean it can be if he more meant it as warrior/fighter rather than specifically soldier.
from a few pages back;

On adapting the book written in the 1960s for the 21st century, Villeneuve wanted to reflect on realities that have happened related to overexploitation of the Earth, and considered his screenplay "a coming-of-age story, but also a call for action for the youth".[30] Other changes included altering some of the arcs of the female characters in the book. According to Rebecca Ferguson, who was cast as Lady Jessica, "Denis was very respectful of Frank’s work in the book, [but] the quality of the arcs for [many] of the women have been brought up to a new level. There were some shifts he did, and they are beautifully portrayed now."[30] Lady Jessica was given an expanded role as a soldier as well as being part of the Bene Gesserit, which the studio labeled as a "warrior priestess", comparing to the joking label of "space nun" that Villeneuve felt the book gave across.[30] Dr. Liet Kynes, the ecologist on Arrakis who is male in the novel, was also given to a female lead Sharon Duncan-Brewster to help expand the cast diversity.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I know this is weird, but maybe we wait and watch the fucking movie before declaring that Villeneuve has totally fucked this up already?

Sure, if the movie sucks shit all over it, but we're acting like this is going to be absolute trash when V's track record so far tells us that's unlikely.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I know this is weird, but maybe we wait and watch the fucking movie before declaring that Villeneuve has totally fucked this up already?

Sure, if the movie sucks shit all over it, but we're acting like this is going to be absolute trash when V's track record so far tells us that's unlikely.
Pretty much my view. I said all the way back on page one that the book's best material doesn't translate to screen well. This may or may not be a good sci fi flick set in the Dune universe, and that's where I'm keeping my expectations.

• 1Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i never read Dune, my dad was a big fan, but i never got around to it. that being said, ive had a lot of beloved novels altered drastically to adapt them into films and its a trainwreck almost every single time they try it. why even bother adapting a novel if you are just going to change it into something unrecognizable to the people who made it a thing in the first place? if it doesnt work as it is without major changes, then either get somebody else who can work with it or move on to something else. If Peter Jackson was able to respectfully adapt LOTR into 3 classic films, then it should be possible to adapt most anything.

• 1Garbage

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
If Peter Jackson was able to respectfully adapt LOTR into 3 classic films, then it should be possible to adapt most anything.

He did this by cutting out things, adding stuff that wasn't there, chopping up stuff that was there, and combining others.

Jackson's win came from being allowed to do whatever he god damn pleased and it turned out we all liked it.

It can go the other way as well, especially when studios meddle more (see Peter Jackson and The Hobbit)

• 1Solidarity