Dune (2020)

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
He did this by cutting out things, adding stuff that wasn't there, chopping up stuff that was there, and combining others.

Jackson's win came from being allowed to do whatever he god damn pleased and it turned out we all liked it.

It can go the other way as well, especially when studios meddle more (see Peter Jackson and The Hobbit)
Jackson didn’t do a perfect adaptation. What he did do was a pretty good adaptation where most of the liberties he decided or had to take didn’t feel like spitting on the story. Most people don’t expect perfect, but they do expect you to respect the source material. Jackson did and that’s why it’s generally loved.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
He did this by cutting out things, adding stuff that wasn't there, chopping up stuff that was there, and combining others.

Jackson's win came from being allowed to do whatever he god damn pleased and it turned out we all liked it.

It can go the other way as well, especially when studios meddle more (see Peter Jackson and The Hobbit)
Yeah, but the majority of what he left out didnt matter. Tom bombadil noped out of the story early and nobody cares about a bunch of horrible songs

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Jackson's only large failing in my mind was how he handled Faramir. Other than that, the stuff he changed was still pretty respectful to the source and mostly made sense due to film's constraints.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
For some reason, I remember nerds being super mad about the Elves at Helm's Deep, despite how cool it all was. But that was almost 20 years ago, so who knows if I am remembering correctly

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
For some reason, I remember nerds being super mad about the Elves at Helm's Deep, despite how cool it all was. But that was almost 20 years ago, so who knows if I am remembering correctly
The elves at Helm's were done for theatrics that made little sense considering where elves were "at" ideologically in that age, but I don't necessarily considering it a major failing like I do Faramir. Faramir was a total character assassination.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The elves at Helm's were done for theatrics that made little sense considering where elves were "at" ideologically in that age, but I don't necessarily considering it a major failing like I do Faramir. Faramir was a total character assassination.
The extended edition leaves him a bit less assassinated, but it still fails to adequately convey how significant it is that he's able to overcome the temptation of the ring. My main beef is the (lack of) character development for Gimli, Merry, and Pippin and their relegation to comic relief. Like yeah there was never going to be time for the Scouring of the Shire, but good god he absolutely butchered that scene where Pippin takes oath to Denethor. The movies get gradually worse as they go on, even as they become more of a spectacle.

I think the disastrous Hobbit trilogy exposes Peter Jackson for who he really is, and the success of the LotR trilogy was more due to the stronger source material rather than any virtue of his.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The extended edition leaves him a bit less assassinated, but it still fails to adequately convey how significant it is that he's able to overcome the temptation of the ring. My main beef is the (lack of) character development for Gimli, Merry, and Pippin and their relegation to comic relief. Like yeah there was never going to be time for the Scouring of the Shire, but good god he absolutely butchered that scene where Pippin takes oath to Denethor. The movies get gradually worse as they go on, even as they become more of a spectacle.

I think the disastrous Hobbit trilogy exposes Peter Jackson for who he really is, and the success of the LotR trilogy was more due to the stronger source material rather than any virtue of his.
Merry wasn't too bad, as he still got his Fields of Pelennor stuff, the Treebeard stuff, etc., even if it was altered. I thought Gimli was mostly fine as well, other than the whole "toss me!" and "dwarves are excellent sprinters!" bullshit. Pippin was definitely the worst and the Denethor stuff really pissed me off.

But yeah, the movies get progressively worse. Fellowship is almost perfect, especially the extended cut (it's basically just the Arwen and some of the Galadriel stuff I disliked). But, I go back and forth on Two Towers and Return being the worst film.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
most complaints seem to center around RotK. we can all agree fellowship and two towers were almost perfect.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole

Some idiot in a suit with a producer credit always thinks they know better than the original author

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Some idiot in a suit with a producer credit always thinks they know better than the original author
they should have combined stuff from Silmarillin with Hobbit. would have fleshed out the LOTR characters without gay dwarf shit to fill time.

Last edited:
  • 2Dislike
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Zendaya was apparently only on set for 4 days during the shoot. Chani is just set up to be a bigger character in part 2 (whenever they get around to that).

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wasn't the whole shit with liz taylor not in the book, like she's not the one who pick up frodo when he get wounded, etc. ?

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
they should have combined stuff from Silmarillin with Hobbit. would have fleshed out the LOTR characters without gay dwarf shit to fill time.

Dude, I have a first edition Silmarillion which I managed to snag from an ex 20 or so years ago. In all that time I've never made it past page 16. It really does not need to be turned into a movie.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 3 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Wasn't the whole shit with liz taylor not in the book, like she's not the one who pick up frodo when he get wounded, etc. ?
If I remember correctly, its an elf who shows up exactly that one time in the book and has no further appearances in the Trilogy, so they just gave it to Arwen, since its a pretty meaningful moment wasted on someone the audience would otherwise never see again.

Oldbased

> Than U
Ok, it's been about 4 years since my 2017 post where I watched it for the first time in like 20 years. I've already forgot everything again except water is wet and turns eyes blue and in this world they don't have Ms Dash for spices. Oh and giant fucking tapeworms needing some of that horse paste.
Does this come out something this century?

Oldbased

> Than U
I was like who is this Zen bitch. Didn't know a thing about her, color and all so can't be racist whoever that faggot is on this page.
Anyways...
1630085404996.png

Child model. Disney. Oh, ok.
I wonder how many times they let Biden sniff her hair growing up.

• 1Barf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
If I remember correctly, its an elf who shows up exactly that one time in the book and has no further appearances in the Trilogy, so they just gave it to Arwen, since its a pretty meaningful moment wasted on someone the audience would otherwise never see again.
Glorfindel. He's present for the Council of Elrond but they rationalize him not joining the fellowship as him being too powerful for a stealth mission, but not powerful enough to just slam dunk the ring into Mt Doom himself. It's a change that mostly makes sense, although I think Weathertop still ended up being one of the only things they got (badly) wrong in Fellowship.

• 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Two Towers is -not- perfect.. why the fuck would anyone say that? It basically ruined the stoicism of the character that was Faramir. Like I left the theatre going "wtf, why would they do that?" He's never entranced by the ring or what it could do; he finds out the hobbits' mission and lets them go, not obviously tempted and then a dick about it. That scene ruined the entire movie for me.

• 1Like