Dune (2020)

Burns

Perhaps "fate" is interwoven into the fabric of the universe and there's a way to read the universe's "DNA"

I didn't read Dune until fairly recently, having watched Mobile Suit Gundam as a teenager, the Spice makes me think of the Psychedelic equivalent of the Zero System

This is true, in a way (according to particle physics). If you knew where every particle in the universe was, you could predict the future and know the past with 100% accuracy. Conservation of information means all that data is out there still.

All you need is a computer the size of the universe to make the computations.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is true, in a way (according to particle physics). If you knew where every particle in the universe was, you could predict the future and know the past with 100% accuracy. Conservation of information means all that data is out there still.

All you need is a computer the size of the universe to make the computations.

2017-06-11-deep-thought.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Seeing this Thursday on IMAX with a bunch friends from high school that came out of the woodworks. It started off with 3 of us but has since have turned into a reunion of sorts.

I believe 12 people are going now.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Goatface

Dune will finally be released theatrically on October 22 and on HBO Max on October 21, 3 p.m. PDT / 6 p.m. EST.

guess they moved the time up 3 hours(?)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Caved and watched the 1080p rip. I enjoyed it a lot. Would not have minded some expansion on some of the stuff like people have said and I think it could lose some of it's punch with people not familiar with the source material but it was a good effort. Villeneuve is probably my favorite active director and this movie definitely played to his strengths. Will still be seeing this with the posse this weekend for sure.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
This is the first movie I've been looking forward to since Endgame.

This Friday the wife and I are planning on bringing home a nice dinner from a local restaurant, having a few drinks, turning the lights down, and then blowing out all our neighbors windows with the sound system as we watch this.

I'm happy to have a worthwhile Friday movie night again.

• 9Like
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 9 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This is definitely a 7.1 home theater movie. All Denis V movies are really meant for the big screen. The sound mixing is usually epic.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
This is the first movie I've been looking forward to since Endgame.

This Friday the wife and I are planning on bringing home a nice dinner from a local restaurant, having a few drinks, turning the lights down, and then blowing out all our neighbors windows with the sound system as we watch this.

I'm happy to have a worthwhile Friday movie night again.
Better end with you putting on your Deputy outfit and raiding her for loot.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My first guild in EQ required you to get the upgraded Rivervale Defender Ring before you could join.

Gotta have that rechargeable Heal, yo

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Looking forward too it. I will be watching it next week in Vegas while out there on vacation.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
My first guild in EQ required you to get the upgraded Rivervale Defender Ring before you could join.

Gotta have that rechargeable Heal, yo
The worst is when you put a wood elf crown on a dark elf necro or iksar beastlord and max out your hobbit faction only to tank it with a nice -1000 hit for becoming one with the wall.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Excellent movie, very Villeneuve. Wonderful visuals, managed to tell the story at a pretty fast pace while still being easy to follow. I can easily believe there is a 6 hour cut out there.
Cast was all solid and from memory it seemed extremely faithful to the book.
Looking forward to part 2 (please)!

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Saw the 1080p rip at home (over 2 nights) and glad I didn't go to theaters. The above comments are right, this would have been so much better as a 10 episode Netflix or HBO series. As a 2h20m movie it tells only half of a story, everything is rushed, and I have a hard time believing people who are unfamiliar with Dune will be able to make heads or tails of whats going on.

I would wait for the 4K HDR rips coming out in 2 days, in the last 20 mins there are 2 good scenes that are a bit dark and muddy in the current rip, I think HDR might give it better contrast.

Most of the movie I found pretty boring, the first hour is basically a shortened version of the 1984 movie with everything looking good but rushed to hell, the second half is better but because so much backstory and character development is missing, it feels very disjointed.

The 2000 TV series is still the best version, I'm fairly certain this movie is gonna bomb and we will never see a part 2, which retroactively makes part 1 worse imo. I know covid19 was a big part of it but fuck the WB executives for greenlighting part 1 and not getting part 2 into production, thats a huge blue balls move. I have no real desire to see this in theaters, I thought most of the scenery was just all right, nothing stood out as something amazing I gotta see in theaters like Mad Max or Blade Runner 2049. The actors were uneven, some pretty good, some I prefer the Lynch version. All were on screen too little.

imo there's only 1, long extended battle scene in the middle that is the standout scene of the movie and its just ok, nothing amazing.

IMG1973230705169982602.gif

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think some of yall would still praise it if Villenueve posted a video of himself dropping a deuce.

• 4Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 7 users

Sterling

El Presidente
I think some of yall would still praise it if Villenueve posted a video of himself dropping a deuce.
I think the movie was good and not great, but that it's strong points definitely fall in line with Villenueve's strengths. I do think that some kind of extended cut expanding on some of the compressed things could make it great. Some of that might not exist though so who actually knows. I don't think it's his best work, but his floor is very high compared to most other directors and he doesn't really do shit tier movies.

spronk

FPS noob
if WB greenlit a Birds of Prey sequel, and that was a giant turd of a movie, maybe that means if Dune does really well on HBO max this weekend they will greenlight it too

fire up your TVs and stream Dune all weekend lol

• 1Barf

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
if WB greenlit a Birds of Prey sequel, and that was a giant turd of a movie, maybe that means if Dune does really well on HBO max this weekend they will greenlight it too

fire up your TVs and stream Dune all weekend lol

Yeah, unfortunately Dune's central character isn't a bi-female.

At least on-screen.