Dune (2020)

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
ya i thought so too, she showed flashes in this movie but i thought they underplayed her powers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Things that first time viewers (non book readers) will miss:

- Imperial Conditioning: what it is, the significance of the Diamond symbol, and the fact that Dr. Yeuh had his broken and by who
- What CHOAM is
- What the Landsraad is
-
The effect the Spice has on the Spacing Guild
- What a Mentat is and why Thufir and Piters eyes rolled back sometimes. (also no red stained lips?)
- Chani's parentage I assume remains the same just gender swapped
- Jessicas parentage...to still be revealed?
- Where is Feyd...maybe in Part 2?
- Where is Princess Irulan...maybe in Part 2?
- What the 'weirding way' is. It was only mentioned once in the film and no explanation for non book readers

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Things that first time viewers (non book readers) will miss:

- Imperial Conditioning: what it is, the significance of the Diamond symbol, and the fact that Dr. Yeuh had his broken and by who
- What CHOAM is
- What the Landsraad is
-
The effect the Spice has on the Spacing Guild
- What a Mentat is and why Thufir and Piters eyes rolled back sometimes. (also no red stained lips?)
- Chani's parentage I assume remains the same just gender swapped
- Jessicas parentage...to still be revealed?
- Where is Feyd...maybe in Part 2?
- Where is Princess Irulan...maybe in Part 2?
- What the 'weirding way' is. It was only mentioned once in the film and no explanation for non book readers
I'd imagine the characters you mention would likely be in the 2nd movie. Some of the other stuff might have been fleshed out more and cut. I wonder if some longer cut will be released at some point.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I guarantee they just rolled Feyd into Rabban. Which is fine imo.

I thought the movie did a better job than the book at showing how much Paul cared for Duncan.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I'd imagine the characters you mention would likely be in the 2nd movie. Some of the other stuff might have been fleshed out more and cut. I wonder if some longer cut will be released at some point.

Good point. Btw, none of that is meant to be a complaint. The film was great. I really do wish they filmed both (ala LOTR) at the same time.

If you have not yet seen the film. It's pretty faithful to the book (first half), and what deviations are there work just fine and are not gratuitous. It does not go woke in any way.

I wish more time was spent on Rabban and the Harkonnens, also the Sardaukar. The visuals for both was fantastic and the vibe for Geidi Prime was great. I do wish they put the pedal to the floor and went to 11 on showing the brutality of the Harkonnens....like go full Eli Roth. But thats nit picky.

• 1Like

Warpath

Golden Baronet of the Realm
fyi HBO has 8 or so bonus content vids like you would get on bluray, didn't watch them yet but thought that was a nice touch

watching tonight super baked. reaction here has me pumped.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
the thing that is the real bummer is that if this IP was greenlit in 2021, it would 100% have been done as a 8-10 episode, limited series, prestige streaming TV series on HBO Max, Netflix, or Amazon Prime. Its Game of Thrones tier drama and intrigue and adult talk, maybe have some titties (and dick, its 2021) to spice it up. It would have 100% competed with Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings, Foundation, etc as a catch and starring vehicle for big names.

instead it was greenlit in 2017 when Avengers Infinity War was making $1.7b in the box office and movies were thriving, so makes sense to make it as 2 movies. What a crazy difference 2-3 years and a pandemic would have made.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Warner Bros is gonna greenlight part 2... It would be hugely embarrassing for them not to at this point. Villeneuve said in an interview that Warner wants to turn it into a whole franchise by doing all the sequels/prequels which can only happen if they finish this first magnum opus.

It's good that Chalamet will have aged a bit by the time they film it, however even if they greenlit it today we wouldn't see the result until 2023 at the earliest..maybe 2024 at this point. I suppose they could try and accelerate things given their plans for other entries such as HBO Max series, but given he doesn't wanna use green screen there's only so much you can do to accelerate a desert shoot.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
the thing that is the real bummer is that if this IP was greenlit in 2021, it would 100% have been done as a 8-10 episode, limited series, prestige streaming TV series on HBO Max, Netflix, or Amazon Prime. Its Game of Thrones tier drama and intrigue and adult talk, maybe have some titties (and dick, its 2021) to spice it up. It would have 100% competed with Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings, Foundation, etc as a catch and starring vehicle for big names.

instead it was greenlit in 2017 when Avengers Infinity War was making $1.7b in the box office and movies were thriving, so makes sense to make it as 2 movies. What a crazy difference 2-3 years and a pandemic would have made.
No reason they couldnt do that now, especially if the movie was easy going compared to the source material.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Havent watched the film yet saving it for this weekend. I have been watching some behind the scenes stuff. The chick playing Chani is stone cold stupid.

• 1Solidarity

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
  • 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
She's an attractive minority,

2df6b7d355febcf53fec5c4de2296d46.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean she's not some unfuckable CHUD, but listening to her talk out of character is pretty painful.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity