Dune (2020)

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
How disappointing is this going to look on a 65 in TV streaming on HBO? The latest Blade Runner was pretty bad visually on a small screen imo.

• 2Seriously?
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Edit: Apparently Jason Momoa is saying there is a 4-hour cut, and a 6-hour cut of the movie. I'd be very interested in seeing a big 8-hour cut if this does land a Part II.

Sound like selling extended versions and triple dipping is how they plan to make their money in the long haul.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
This was 7/10, my thoughts whilst watching was infinitely better than Star Wars sequels but the second half post the attack was anti climatic

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
It's a desert, dude!

thats honestly one of the things that bugged me the most. There was a throwaway line in the middle of the movie about a warning that its currently 90 degrees and will be 140 degrees in half an hour and everyone needs to prepare.

I never really felt the movie properly conveyed what an absolute hell hole 140 degrees for 8-10 hours a day would be. Some of the sand dune scenes were pretty, but it felt like the Sahara, not other-worldly. I dunno, with 2021 CGI I expected to be visually stunned by sand seas of Dune and I never really got that feeling, ever.

Even the worm stuff was honestly a bit disappointing. That one scene might be worth watching in IMAX for, but i'm really not sure.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Wish we had some more shots from space. I'm not familiar with the source material at all, although I did watch the original movie many years ago. How does the spice allow for interstellar travel? It looks like they are using wormholes? Does spice allow for the tech to keep it open or something?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Wish we had some more shots from space. I'm not familiar with the source material at all, although I did watch the original movie many years ago. How does the spice allow for interstellar travel? It looks like they are using wormholes? Does spice allow for the tech to keep it open or something?

The spice allows people to develop prescient abilities, so basically the spice allows a navigator to see through space and time to pick a safe path. It's not expanded upon deeply, because herbert was smart and realized trying to scientifically explain it would probably make him sound stupid. So yea, wormholes, or something sciency and similar + space magic.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider

Computers and AI are banned due robots enslaving humanity in the past. So to warp space of whatever the guild ships do they need navigators which are mutated humans that need tons of spice.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

nu_11

The spice allows people to develop prescient abilities, so basically the spice allows a navigator to see through space and time to pick a safe path. It's not expanded upon deeply, because herbert was smart and realized trying to scientifically explain it would probably make him sound stupid. So yea, wormholes, or something sciency and similar + space magic.
Not sure I buy that.

Frank has shown a remarkable ability to make something that’s currently not real sound legitimate through technical gobbledygook.

3069421.jpg

• 1Like

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Thought it was men using machines to enslave other men.
Frank Herbert was kinda vague on the details but in the shitty books by his son it was definitely machines that they were fighting.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Thought it was men using machines to enslave other men.
Yea, herbert's butlerian jihad was more about how humans became static because they let machines think for them. It's never about the machines actually ruling them. It was a contrasting phase of humanity to set up the concept of human evolution that is a pretty major focus of the dune series.

The butlerian jihad prequels with the machines being in charge are dumb.

nu_11

Frank Herbert was kinda vague on the details but in this shitty books by his son it was definitely machines that they were fighting.

harrison-ford-who-gives-a-shit.gif

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Not sure I buy that.

Frank has shown a remarkable ability to make something that’s currently not real sound legitimate through technical gobbledygook.

3069421.jpg

Perhaps "fate" is interwoven into the fabric of the universe and there's a way to read the universe's "DNA"

I didn't read Dune until fairly recently, having watched Mobile Suit Gundam as a teenager, the Spice makes me think of the Psychedelic equivalent of the Zero System

• 1Like