Dune (2020)

spronk

FPS noob
Saw the 1080p rip at home (over 2 nights) and glad I didn't go to theaters. The above comments are right, this would have been so much better as a 10 episode Netflix or HBO series. As a 2h20m movie it tells only half of a story, everything is rushed, and I have a hard time believing people who are unfamiliar with Dune will be able to make heads or tails of whats going on.

I would wait for the 4K HDR rips coming out in 2 days, in the last 20 mins there are 2 good scenes that are a bit dark and muddy in the current rip, I think HDR might give it better contrast.

Most of the movie I found pretty boring, the first hour is basically a shortened version of the 1984 movie with everything looking good but rushed to hell, the second half is better but because so much backstory and character development is missing, it feels very disjointed.

The 2000 TV series is still the best version, I'm fairly certain this movie is gonna bomb and we will never see a part 2, which retroactively makes part 1 worse imo. I know covid19 was a big part of it but fuck the WB executives for greenlighting part 1 and not getting part 2 into production, thats a huge blue balls move. I have no real desire to see this in theaters, I thought most of the scenery was just all right, nothing stood out as something amazing I gotta see in theaters like Mad Max or Blade Runner 2049. The actors were uneven, some pretty good, some I prefer the Lynch version. All were on screen too little.

imo there's only 1, long extended battle scene in the middle that is the standout scene of the movie and its just ok, nothing amazing.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
wtf is she wearing?

Those chips that come on the side when you order Peking Duck. Lanx Lanx

shrimpchips10-768x1152.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Pretty good. Villeneuve was born to make this movie. Only thing that bothered me was that it wasn't an HBO series instead, they didn't cut much of what I'd consider 'essential'--but the visuals and atmosphere were so good that I'd have gladly sat through 10 hours of minutia world building just to keep eating that up.
People have way too much time on their hands, lol. This is why the movie as an artform is dying, people want these 10 hour binge-able shows where 80% of it could have been left in the editing room.

Fucker

Log Wizard
People have way too much time on their hands, lol. This is why the movie as an artform is dying, people want these 10 hour binge-able shows where 80% of it could have been left in the editing room.
Movies are shit because the people who are making them are shit. This is a decent flick, of which there likely will not be a second part. Instead, we get garbage super hero movie after garbage super hero movie, and genuine trash like Star Wars. Covid aside, how many decent flicks have there been in the last 2 years? 3? 4? 5?

People don't want long, well-written movies. They want loud, they want CGI, they want plots and stories shallow enough so they can follow them because they killed all their brain cells with Cheetos and Mountain Dew.

You know things are bad in Hollywood when Stephen Spielberg has a hard time sourcing cash for movies.

• 2Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 2 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Saw the 1080p rip at home (over 2 nights) and glad I didn't go to theaters. The above comments are right, this would have been so much better as a 10 episode Netflix or HBO series. As a 2h20m movie it tells only half of a story, everything is rushed, and I have a hard time believing people who are unfamiliar with Dune will be able to make heads or tails of whats going on.

I would wait for the 4K HDR rips coming out in 2 days, in the last 20 mins there are 2 good scenes that are a bit dark and muddy in the current rip, I think HDR might give it better contrast.

Most of the movie I found pretty boring, the first hour is basically a shortened version of the 1984 movie with everything looking good but rushed to hell, the second half is better but because so much backstory and character development is missing, it feels very disjointed.

The 2000 TV series is still the best version, I'm fairly certain this movie is gonna bomb and we will never see a part 2, which retroactively makes part 1 worse imo. I know covid19 was a big part of it but fuck the WB executives for greenlighting part 1 and not getting part 2 into production, thats a huge blue balls move. I have no real desire to see this in theaters, I thought most of the scenery was just all right, nothing stood out as something amazing I gotta see in theaters like Mad Max or Blade Runner 2049. The actors were uneven, some pretty good, some I prefer the Lynch version. All were on screen too little.

imo there's only 1, long extended battle scene in the middle that is the standout scene of the movie and its just ok, nothing amazing.
I actually agree with this dude for once. They goofed up several important character stories by leaving important plot out.

I'm getting tired of Hans Zimmer I guess because the music was distracting and always seemed to cover dialogue and the Sardaukar looked silly to me when they entered scenes like they were on wires.

I think some of this could be fixed in editing but I'm rewatching the 2000 TV series again right now and it's just superior outside of looking a bit dated. Even so, I'm kind of impressed it's held up this well. I think they picked a decent place to stop figuring there is a time jump coming up, but if they never finish the 2nd part then all you have is an incomplete movie that ended with a whimper.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Dune is currently at $129.7 million worldwide. It opened to a very small $1.9 million in Japan. It's tracking towards a $10-15 million opening in China, thanks to a super limited amount of 2D showings. It opens in the US/Canada, the UK, and China amongst others this week.

The Japan opening seemed crazy small, then again it did fantastic in the international market early on. Halloween Kills had a surprising opening last weekend at $50 million, but on the other hand Bond is tanking like crazy.

I was hopeful for this, but I honestly don't know. Warner Brothers is saying the streaming will matter more than the box office numbers, but we shall see. I'm also in the camp that would've preferred this as a series - disclaimer I still haven't seen the movie.

Edit: Apparently Jason Momoa is saying there is a 4-hour cut, and a 6-hour cut of the movie. I'd be very interested in seeing a big 8-hour cut if this does land a Part II.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Looks like it's kinda going about how I expected, but this is common with book to movie. I said the movie was decent, but people more knowledgeable or into the story might not like it as much. The gripes are definitely credible and more could have been done. For the people who don't know or care about the books... well they'll not notice any of that and just fall into the experience.

I'm a book reader and went in expecting a lot of hand waving.... but when that scene with shadout mapes happened. I remember thinking 'you knew this was gonna happen asshole;, and luckily my brain turned off and I just rolled with the punches.

• 1Solidarity

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Many scenes just didn't have the impact the older movie had. Poison tooth scene while cool I think had way more impact in the older movie. Same with when Jessica and Paul are captured and being taken to the desert. I also like the almost seductive quality of the Voice used in the 80s movie vs this one. All of Paul's visions being voiceless was a let down too. The "Tell me of your home world Usul" is iconic. Maybe I'm just old and need to stick to telling kids to get off my lawn.

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Never saw the original, never going to read the books, thought the movie was pretty good. Feels like it should be a trilogy though if this pacing keeps up.

• 1Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 users