Dune (2020)

Sterling

El Presidente
I thoroughly enjoyed this. So much so that I wanna pickup the books.

For none book readers they could have delved deeper into some of the other houses and the lore of the books. Movie could have been a lot longer and I woulda been ok with it.
dune infographic.PNG

Option 4 is what i'd suggest, but at the very least you should read the first book and avoid all the shit that frank didn't write

• 5Like
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Just got done watching it. It was overall very good, but not great. Visuals and audio were great, but tons of important details were glossed over or completely left out. It felt way too condensed.

My biggest complaint is the dialogue though. Just like I felt after watching the trailers, It felt off throughout the entire movie. There would be a line here or there lifted straight from the book, but everything else felt "modernized" for lack of a better term. I'll have to watch it on HBO with subtitles, but it sounded like they even slightly altered the Litany Against Fear, which is fucking criminal.

Overall 8/10. It would have been far better to do this as a high budget series.

spronk

FPS noob
Just got done watching it. It was overall very good, but not great. Visuals and audio were great, but tons of important details were glossed over or completely left out. It felt way too condensed.

My biggest complaint is the dialogue though. Just like I felt after watching the trailers, It felt off throughout the entire movie. There would be a line here or there lifted straight from the book, but everything else felt "modernized" for lack of a better term. I'll have to watch it on HBO with subtitles, but it sounded like they even slightly altered the Litany Against Fear, which is fucking criminal.

Overall 8/10. It would have been far better to do this as a high budget series.

the litany against fear is verbatim from the book in Dune 2021 during the gob jabbar scene. Its slightly altered in the TV series (shortened), the 1984 Lynch version only used half of it iirc and never the full thing. The Lynch version has paul double back to the beginning of the litany during his pain, but I'm not sure if he says the full thing later.

It is interesting to read everyones reaction to the movie, I'm happy to see so many people like it. I really thought most people would be confused by all the missing pieces, but its nice to see it still stands alone with so much backstory missing.

Lot of rumors churning around that WB wants to do at least 2 or 3 more movies, and a few TV series and are pretty happy with how well received this has been. A 4-6 hour directors cut of the first movie, a nicely done part 2, and a couple of TV series that deal with God, Emperor of Dune would be amazing. Fuck Game of Thrones!!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
If they are going to announce part 2 on Monday, just spend an extra $100 million, make another 3 hour Part 2 movie and then Justice League this bitch into an 8 hour limited series for HBO Max for 2023. You'll have the whole cast there, just film the other 6 hours you need, give us the full politics/Jessica suspicion/Imperial Conditioning subplots missing from part 1 and make a 4 hour part 2, 8 1-hour episodes, BAM movie magic for Spring 2023 and then announce fall of 2023 Chinese Money Legendary Tencent brings you Dune Limited Series before 2025 Dune Messiah hits theaters.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
On Liet Kynes, I find I didn't mind the Gender/Race swap at all, although unnecessary because this movie had so many "Moor" black people I didn't know which part of the Earth Desert he was trying to emulate. Good on them but I couldn't help thinking with an insular population inbreeding over how many generations how were there any genetically dissimilar skin colors left on Arrakis? Maybe there were millions of Fremen but that doesn't ignore genetics
I was thinking the same thing, 5 or 6 THOUSAND years, relatively small population (few million at most) isolated- with no immigation per se, insular, and you have THAT diverse a population color wise? They ALL should be of similar skin color and facial features after 500 generations( 5 generations per century x10 x 5), you shouldn't have the extreme skin colors, like we see in the movie.

Other than that casting choice I has no problem with any of the cast.

nu_11

Longtime book reader here.

Loved the movie in IMAX. Visuals and scale 10/10. Overall rating 8/10.

Lots of story detail is loss but that's probably because of the 2.5 hour time limit. Maybe it was possible to add the extra details but that may have required too much exposition.

Oscar Isaac has a good face for Leto Atreides but he's still too much of a manlet. Rebecca Ferguson was great as Lady Jessica, definitely was too emotional but I think that was necessary for portraying her thoughts on-screen. The Liet Kynes character was butchered, however, not just racially but also his death.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
the litany against fear is verbatim from the book in Dune 2021 during the gob jabbar scene.

Watching it on HBO with subtitles and it's not. It's close, but not quite.

The original:

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Movie version:

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind killer.
Fear is the little death that brings obliteration.
And I'll face my fear and I'll permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye and see it's path.
And where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

The changes are small and nitpicky, but they are what feels off about the dialogue in the movie as a whole. In the book, dialogue tended to be a bit more stiff and formal.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Picard

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Ye, that dream sequence was weird, where the black guy is his friend and teaches him. Then the voice over tells us, that Paul has to die to be reborn as the one. Then it tells us, that he has to kill the black dude to take his place and start his jihad.
Like wut. Please explain. Read the book years ago. Will reread it soon though. Didn't know back then, that it was a trilogy.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Ye, that dream sequence was weird, where the black guy is his friend and teaches him. Then the voice over tells us, that Paul has to die to be reborn as the one. Then it tells us, that he has to kill the black dude to take his place and start his jihad.
Like wut. Please explain. Read the book years ago. Will reread it soon though. Didn't know back then, that it was a trilogy.
I found it interesting. Don’t think it was from the books either.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That was the most confusing part of the movie. His dreams show the black person teaching him but then Paul ends up killing him. It makes me think that an entire portion of the movie was cut between them meeting and the fight. I hope that is the case even if it would still be kind of sad.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I wish Villeneuve could make 30 movies a year.
Saaaaame. Dude was literally put on this Earth to make sci-fi epics. The visuals and audio in his movies are just absolutely top tier.

Dr Yeuh's stuff being so abrupt was the only major detail that bummed me out. Most of the other stuff is minor or nitpicky, but understandable due to cinema and length constraints. Liet Kynes was never a character I really gave a fuck about, so them giving it the "woke" treatment didn't really bother me. Jessica did seem a little "underpowered", but she does get a great scene that makes you realize, "oh fuuuuck".

Solid 8.0/10 and I'd bump is to a 9 or 9.5 if they had done Yeuh's stuff properly and rated it R.

• 2Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
one of the funniest scenes was when we first see the Sardaukar troops and some Tibetan throat singing starts booming out the speakers. like... wtf is this, the director just wanted to put that type of music (which is neat as fuck) in his movie and couldn't find anywhere else to put it, haha

I do like how they portray the Sardaukar in this movie, did a better job than 1984 or the TV show for sure. They are super weird but also crazy competent. The language stuff was interesting, I wish there was more of that to show what a crazy wacky "Empire" humanity currently had. All the Jihad stuff came across as super flat and unconnected.
Its a huge failing of both the TV series and Lynch movie that neither of them focus on troop quality. Its literally the central premise of the book and why Leto walked into the trap. In this one, he does a really good job of showing the kind of "tiers" in quality between the troops Hark>Atreides>Sardaukar>Fremen. The whole basis was that hard lives create hard soldiers, and Dune was the only planet more hostile to life than the Sardaukar's prison planet.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

There is a single line that tries to explain this..."When you kill another, you kill yourself". The dream was supposed to show that by Paul killing this man, he was also killing the naive boy (Himself), so the Kwisatz Haderach could rise.

That was the most confusing part of the movie. His dreams show the black person teaching him but then Paul ends up killing him. It makes me think that an entire portion of the movie was cut between them meeting and the fight. I hope that is the case even if it would still be kind of sad.

I think it was just supposed to show the audience why prescience hasn't been able to produce a god emp so far...Because seeing the future and how your brain interprets it, doesn't always translate into clear images. Its a major plot point of the book, how overwhelming and opaque prescience actually is. (And Paul can overcome it because he is both a Bene Gesserit and a Mentat.)

I think the movie was trying to show that difficulty by making the visions 'true' but in odd ways....So the black dude did teach Paul, but not in the conventional way...(Taught him how to literally become a man in the fremen's eyes).

There was also another aspect they seemed to downplay. In the fight, the black dude swaps his knife hand at the end...behind his back. I think the vision was supposed to warn Paul of that, but they didn't do a very good job of conveying that visually.

Last edited:

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
If they are going to announce part 2 on Monday, just spend an extra $100 million, make another 3 hour Part 2 movie and then Justice League this bitch into an 8 hour limited series for HBO Max for 2023. You'll have the whole cast there, just film the other 6 hours you need, give us the full politics/Jessica suspicion/Imperial Conditioning subplots missing from part 1 and make a 4 hour part 2, 8 1-hour episodes, BAM movie magic for Spring 2023 and then announce fall of 2023 Chinese Money Legendary Tencent brings you Dune Limited Series before 2025 Dune Messiah hits theaters.

They shouldn't even do a part 2 film...Just go right into a 10 part series. Its a great spot to do that because you can use Paul's time in the desert to explore the politics of the Empire and the great houses, the religious stuff, and other aspects they glossed over, while also showing Paul learning/adapting in the desert.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Its a huge failing of both the TV series and Lynch movie that neither of them focus on troop quality. Its literally the central premise of the book and why Leto walked into the trap. In this one, he does a really good job of showing the kind of "tiers" in quality between the troops Hark>Atreides>Sardaukar>Fremen. The whole basis was that hard lives create hard soldiers, and Dune was the only planet more hostile to life than the Sardaukar's prison planet.

A force that could rival the Sardaukar was one of the Emperor's biggest fears. It's why Count Fenring got spooked when Rabban mentioned possibly importing prisoners as laborers on Arrakis, because he knows where the Sardaukar come from.

• 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There is a single line that tries to explain this..."When you kill another, you kill yourself". The dream was supposed to show that by Paul killing this man, he was also killing the naive boy (Himself), so the Kwisatz Haderach could rise.

I caught this, and also Jessica flat out says he’s never killed anyone before.

• 2Like

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>

I think it was just supposed to show the audience why prescience hasn't been able to produce a god emp so far...Because seeing the future and how your brain interprets it, doesn't always translate into clear images. Its a major plot point of the book, how overwhelming and opaque prescience actually is. (And Paul can overcome it because he is both a Bene Gesserit and a Mentat.

I think the movie was trying to show that difficulty by making the visions 'true' but in odd ways....So the black dude did teach Paul, but not in the conventional way...(Taught him how to literally become a man in the fremen's eyes).

There was also another aspect they seemed to downplay. In the fight, the black dude swaps his knife hand at the end...behind his back. I think the vision was supposed to warn Paul of that, but they didn't do a very good job of conveying that visually.
I took it to mean learning to kill is central to learning the ways of the Fremen. So in a sense Jamis is teaching him their way.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So this was damn fantastic. Somehow felt rushed while still feeling like a slow boil at times. Cast was overall great. Visuals were stupendous. Music was fucking amazing, but I like Hans Zimmer so suck it.

Wife who hasn’t read the books at all and in general isn’t a super sci-fi nerd slapped the chair arm and exclaimed “THEY CAN’T END IT THERE!”

I think that was absolutely the right director to show most of Dune’s weird shit on screen. Wished they’d spent more time on the politics. Felt like Thufir was way underdeveloped so later shit isn’t going to hit as hard. Also, the Barron needed to diddle a kid to drive his hedonistic, gluttonous self home. It’s hinted but still.

• 1Like