Dune (2020)

Izo

Tranny Chaser
The original movie had a scene with a pilot/spacing guild monster thing that looked like the brain sucker from starship troopers. Did I miss it in the new movie or is it not in here?

A "navigator" i think?
1635024233119.jpeg

It's afraid.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
So I watched this. Yes the effects are more moderns but you know what, I prefer the original Dune movie. They fucked up on Jessica, she was way too emotional in this movie. So many of the characters were just superior in the first movie.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
So I watched this. Yes the effects are more moderns but you know what, I prefer the original Dune movie. They fucked up on Jessica, she was way too emotional in this movie. So many of the characters were just superior in the first movie.
White supremacist.

• 2Worf

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Spoilered for folks who have zero story knowledge.

They didn't really push on Jessica having defied her order by having a son, which would have fleshed out the 'did I make a huge mistake that cost everyone everything' that would explain her being played with constant angst.

Lynch's Jessica was more angry and defiant and fuckable thus more interesting.

Interestingly Paul was also way more self confident in this version. Which makes his arc a little less interesting / classic imo.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The Baron looks like Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now during the whole "when is a gift not a gift?" scene.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
My biggest complaint is the dialogue though. Just like I felt after watching the trailers, It felt off throughout the entire movie. There would be a line here or there lifted straight from the book, but everything else felt "modernized" for lack of a better term.
The line between Paul and Lady Jessica “you good?” “Yeah…” pulled me right out the movie.

Overall I loved it. Hope part two gets pushed through fast.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
For anyone who saw it in theaters, did anything stand out on the big screen? In my mind the big battle on Arrakis at the base would probably have been pretty cool, but I found the sandworm scenes underwhelming at home (OLED 77" TV too) and nothing else really stood out as "holy shit this is fucking amazing". None of the space or Caladan (water planet) were that amazing. competent, but nothing like stuff out of BR2049 or Mad Max.

Even the desert scenes looked like shit I've seen on BBC Earth when they film in the Sahara, I was really hoping for more crazy ass looking sand seas

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
For anyone who saw it in theaters, did anything stand out on the big screen? In my mind the big battle on Arrakis at the base would probably have been pretty cool, but I found the sandworm scenes underwhelming at home (OLED 77" TV too) and nothing else really stood out as "holy shit this is fucking amazing". None of the space or Caladan (water planet) were that amazing. competent, but nothing like stuff out of BR2049 or Mad Max.

Even the desert scenes looked like shit I've seen on BBC Earth when they film in the Sahara, I was really hoping for more crazy ass looking sand seas
Saw it in the Imax in downtown Austin, about half of it was in the 1.43 ratio. Biggest screen I'd ever seen in my life, and the space and landscape scenes were absolutely incredible. No way this is as enjoyable on a regular TV, just from a sheer size standpoint.

Would absolutely love to see more space scenes in the next one. The space scenes felt a ton like 2001: Space Odyssey.

Also, industry "experts" think Dune is doing very well heading into today and projects at $33+ million domestically, which would beat Godzilla vs. Kong, and they're anticipating $60+ million worldwide this weekend, which would clear the $200 million threshold. It's already pacing to beat BR2049s numbers very quickly. This is going to get a Part II, China saw a huge increase from $5 million to $16 million after Friday. I hate Hollywood, but I wouldn't mind Dune being a thing until it crashes and burns.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
The Baron looks like Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now during the whole "when is a gift not a gift?" scene.
Saw it in the Imax in downtown Austin, about half of it was in the 1.43 ratio. Biggest screen I'd ever seen in my life, and the space and landscape scenes were absolutely incredible. No way this is as enjoyable on a regular TV, just from a sheer size standpoint.

Would absolutely love to see more space scenes in the next one. The space scenes felt a ton like 2001: Space Odyssey.

Also, industry "experts" think Dune is doing very well heading into today and projects at $33+ million domestically, which would beat Godzilla vs. Kong, and they're anticipating $60+ million worldwide this weekend, which would clear the $200 million threshold. It's already pacing to beat BR2049s numbers very quickly. This is going to get a Part II.
I watched this at home in my office on my 43" 4K Sony TV I use as a Monitor. I sit about 30" away from it. So basically it fills the center part of my vision but I am not going to get the movie theater effect I get watching on my 70" TV out in the living room with a chair 6-8 feet away just because of the size. Still, you can tell what the picture looks in frame, and so much of this movie is framed to highlight the scale of the environments, the size of the objects with which the actors share the screen; there is a sense of grandeur that most movies don't find. DV, his stupid comments about various subjects like Climate change and colonization aside, should be making as many big budget classics as we can extract out of him until SJW ideology makes his head soft. He's got a sense of visual majesty that is unparalleled in modern hollywood.

• 2Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Most of you guys are probably too young, but the films pacing and tempo of cutting from epic landscape to architecture to landscape gave me a real nostalgia boner of playing with a Viewmaster as a kid. So many shots were like panoramic postcards with a twinkle of movement in them.

Classic-Viewmaster.jpg

• 6Solidarity
  • 3Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 10 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
They didn't show the navigators (yet), but they did show representatives from the spacing guild, these are the lower level guys who are not yet fully leveled up from years of living in spice gas. They were the guys with the funky helmets and rebreathers in the early scene where Leto gets control of Arrakis:

Wish I had a better picture but this was all I could find. They have some rebreather kind of thing attached to their opaque helmets.

guild navigator.jpg

I thought the movie was great. Time will tell but it may even be a masterpiece. There was one thing I really didn't like though, nitpicking here but I didn't like the way everyone pronounced Harkonnen.

Attachments

• 1635033980393.png
    1635033980393.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Like

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
They didn't show the navigators (yet), but they did show representatives from the spacing guild, these are the lower level guys who are not yet fully leveled up from years of living in spice gas. They were the guys with the funky helmets and rebreathers in the early scene where Leto gets control of Arrakis:

Wish I had a better picture but this was all I could find. They have some rebreather kind of thing attached to their opaque helmets.

View attachment 378628

I thought the movie was great. Time will tell but it may even be a masterpiece. There was one thing I really didn't like though, nitpicking here but I didn't like the way everyone pronounced Harkonnen.
First thing I thought when the Herald got off his ship.

The HAR-konnen vs. Har-KOE-nen pronunciations. Herbert pronounced it the former way, while Lynch (who worked closely with Herbert on the movie) and many Americans seem inclined to use the second pronunciation. DV in his movie seems to have chosen to go with Frank on this. Not much else to be said. Here is a video where they go into detail on the name:

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
My dad always pronounced it real fucked when I was a kid. I think he added a few letters in there. So when we both sat down and watched the Lynch version together I said outloud “that’s not how you say it dummies” and he just sat there in silent shame.

• 3Worf

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

Also, industry "experts" think Dune is doing very well heading into today and projects at $33+ million domestically, which would beat Godzilla vs. Kong, and they're anticipating $60+ million worldwide this weekend, which would clear the $200 million threshold. It's already pacing to beat BR2049s numbers very quickly. This is going to get a Part II, China saw a huge increase from $5 million to $16 million after Friday. I hate Hollywood, but I wouldn't mind Dune being a thing until it crashes and burns.
Yeah, the scenes in space with the guild were insane. I LOVED the sense of scale, especially when they are dropping into the planet and you see them in orbit.

I could literally just watch a DV movie with a score and nothing but images/shots. His cinematography is totally next level. I don't know of a recent director who even compares. Nolan's Interstellar is the only thing that comes to mind as being close.

• 2Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, the scenes in space with the guild were insane. I LOVED the sense of scale, especially when they are dropping into the planet and you see them in orbit.

I could literally just watch a DV movie with a score and nothing but images/shots. His cinematography is totally next level. I don't know of a recent director who even compares. Nolan's Interstellar is the only thing that comes to mind as being close.
I'm probably gonna see it again at the local super-mega imax once all the dirty pleebs clear out. I'm a sucker for space shit and the visuals were definitely top notch for this. Ridley Scott's prometheus is another I'd put in the same tier of epic space visuals. God that movie was so shit other than that, though.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider

I don't know about a big screen standout, other than just seeing the landscapes, but the effect of the Orni wings was incredible to me. They looked so good

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Liked it a lot on my 85” with Dolby atmos. Will probably watch again, I liked it. Felt like it should have been 10 hours long.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I've watched it 4 times in the last 24 hours. Basically just been awake for different parts in between robotussin comas

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user