Dune (2020)

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I do think a LOTR style intro setting the board would have greatly helped non-book readers.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Im not sure how I feel honestly.

I think this is one of those movies you have to watch at least twice to fully gather your thoughts regarding what happened on screen in relation to the book.

If someone watched this movie and never read the book or heard about Dune do you think they would think it was a fantastic film on its own?

There is no debating the cinematography or visuals. Villeneuve has ascended into that rare movie stratosphere like Ridley Scott, Christopher Nolan, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
They shouldn't even do a part 2 film...Just go right into a 10 part series. Its a great spot to do that because you can use Paul's time in the desert to explore the politics of the Empire and the great houses, the religious stuff, and other aspects they glossed over, while also showing Paul learning/adapting in the desert.

unfortunately that is going to be nearly impossible. The 4-5 top people they have - DenisV (director), Timothy Chalomet (Paul), Zendaya (Chani), Aquaman (Aquaman), and Rebecca Ferguson (Jessica) are all S tier movie stars and have dozens of projects lined up between them. Just getting the 5 of them into the 1 year it'll take to make Dune 2 is going to be extremely difficult and expensive, there is zero chance of getting them to sign up for 2 or 3 years of doing a multi season TV, or even single season, TV show.

I know the plan in the past was to do Dune part 2, and at the same time a TV show showing how the Bene Geneserit got established ~5-8k years in the past. Maybe another TV show about the Butlerian Jihad. I don't know how they go from Dune part 2 to Children of Dune (movie? show?) since it has a few of the same characters, and then Emperor of Dune is even tougher since it gets really out there and takes place over thousands of years.

The box office numbers still don't seem that great, $30-32m in theaters opening weekend is pretty low but since its on HBO Max WB will have direct numbers on how many people (1) streamed it and (2) how many people signed up for a new HBO Max sub and the first thing they watched was Dune.

If you want more Dune the two things you could do are (1) buy a ticket in theaters or (2) just stream it on HBO max

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Saw it, loved it, no complaints - Having not seen the original or read the book in some years left me with alot of fuzzy spots i couldnt remember but came back while watching. They should have labelled it Dune Part 1 for those who were unaware it was going to be a multi-part movie story and not a half second pop up like they were trying to hide it lol

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Im not sure how I feel honestly.

I think this is one of those movies you have to watch at least twice to fully gather your thoughts regarding what happened on screen in relation to the book.

If someone watched this movie and never read the book or heard about Dune do you think they would think it was a fantastic film on its own?

There is no debating the cinematography or visuals. Villeneuve has ascended into that rare movie stratosphere like Ridley Scott, Christopher Nolan, etc.
I never read the books and I watched the original twice - once when I was a teenager and didn't understand shit, and once about a year ago. I read a little bit about the story in this thread before watching the original again and it made more sense.

The new Dune painted a clearer picture for me on the political situation re: the emperor trying to weaken both families by putting them in conflict with eachother. That was something I didn't know before and the entire story makes more sense after realizing that aspect.

I dunno. I think the new movie is a little bit easier to grasp than the older one, but it's 3-5 minute scenes one after another that could each be 30-60 minutes to really explain whats going on. I was constantly thinking "I'd like to see way more about this...".

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The original movie had a scene with a pilot/spacing guild monster thing that looked like the brain sucker from starship troopers. Did I miss it in the new movie or is it not in here?

A "navigator" i think?

• 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
The original movie had a scene with a pilot/spacing guild monster thing that looked like the brain sucker from starship troopers. Did I miss it in the new movie or is it not in here?

A "navigator" i think?

There is a line about how the spacing guild needs spice to navigate, but they aren't in the movie. (The big ship transporting all the other ships is operated by those things).

Its a big hole in the film given Guild Navigators are actually interfering/controlling shit more than even the Bene Gesserit.

• 2Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Visually this movie is stunning and the world building has a lot of potential.

Having half-heartedly read Dune a couple of years ago, and not having seen the original movie, I was barely able to follow the story this movie was telling. Oof.

2 stars.

• 1Direct to DVD

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
There is a line about how the spacing guild needs spice to navigate, but they aren't in the movie. (The big ship transporting all the other ships is operated by those things).

Its a big hole in the film given Guild Navigators are actually interfering/controlling shit more than even the Bene Gesserit.
Next question - Is Jessica one of the space jews that Chapelle was talking about?

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Longtime book reader here.

Loved the movie in IMAX. Visuals and scale 10/10. Overall rating 8/10.

Lots of story detail is loss but that's probably because of the 2.5 hour time limit. Maybe it was possible to add the extra details but that may have required too much exposition.

Oscar Isaac has a good face for Leto Atreides but he's still too much of a manlet. Rebecca Ferguson was great as Lady Jessica, definitely was too emotional but I think that was necessary for portraying her thoughts on-screen. The Liet Kynes character was butchered, however, not just racially but also his death.
Oh that's right.
A force that could rival the Sardaukar was one of the Emperor's biggest fears. It's why Count Fenring got spooked when Rabban mentioned possibly importing prisoners as laborers on Arrakis, because he knows where the Sardaukar come from.
I totally forgot about the differences in Kynes' deaths, although they try to at least get it in the ball park, don't they? I may be conflating Lynch movie and book but I thought Lynch was book accurate.

Fenring is who I was thinking of that gets introduced later, rather than Feyd.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Very well done movie. I have seen Lynch's version upwards of 30x and you can tell the folks who made this were fans as well, many shots were direct homages to the art and architecture on the 1984 version. I really wanted to see at least one person with insane eyebrows in a background somewhere as an easter egg. the freeman being 'multicultural' was the only visually jarring SJDubby thing that was annoying.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

nu_11

Oh that's right.

I totally forgot about the differences in Kynes' deaths, although they try to at least get it in the ball park, don't they? I may be conflating Lynch movie and book but I thought Lynch was book accurate.

Fenring is who I was thinking of that gets introduced later, rather than Feyd.
Nope.
In the movie the Empreror’s Sardaukar kill Kynes for betraying the Emperor. Hard to believe any Fremen would be caught off guard by the Sardaukar like it was shown.

In the book the Baron Harkonnen deceives the Sardaukar and has his Harkonnen men sabotage Kynes and leaves him to die in the desert.

The book death also portrays one of the book’s themes. The meeting of western science with natural world. While Kynes is lying the desert awaiting his death, he’s recalling the science of planetology taught to him by his father. Kynes love and knowledge about the planet doesn’t save him from the planet swallowing him up.

• 2Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Nope.
In the movie the Empreror’s Sardaukar kill Kynes for betraying the Emperor. Hard to believe any Fremen would be caught off guard by the Sardaukar like it was shown.

In the book the Baron Harkonnen deceives the Sardaukar and has his Harkonnen men sabotage Kynes and leaves him to die in the desert.

The book death also portrays one of the book’s themes. The meeting of western science with natural world. While Kynes is lying the desert awaiting his death, he’s recalling the science of planetology taught to him by his father. Kynes love and knowledge about the planet doesn’t save him from the planet swallowing him up.
I realize you are a purist but if you don't exclude the next two sentences, I am aware of Kynes book-accurate fate. The details not withstanding, what I meant was, in the broad scope of the story, that overall fate remains the same. The place and the fate.

Having the Sardaukar there in their own uniforms is kind of a let down as well. I know that DV probably felt, at least it seems he probably felt by how little politics made it into this cut, that the audience needed a visual marker for the different soldiers (how much more did Lynch trust his audience than directors today?).

I guess DV felt the need to have the Sardaukar/Emperor built up more as villains since the Harkonnens had already been well established in that regard, so they did the deed in regard to Kynes and they were men of action, so it was a more brutal death in this version. No need to wait for the Desert. Plus the audience needed satisfaction for Duncan. As well as it gives agency to SJW Gender/Race swap Character, so no one will complain she is a victim of blah blah blah, even though that would be the book accurate fate. Now it comes together for me.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This 2.5hr movie felt like about 45 minutes.

Yeah really. Great movie. 👍

It was like those first 4 seasons of GOT. So good a 1 hour episode felt like 15 minutes. Fuuuuck now we gotta wait til next week? 😵

• 1Like

Hootie

Silver Knight of the Realm
Man i'm not a picky person. I have one foolproof rating system on movies i personally like. Will i watch it again? I saw Dune today in the theater mostly to support the second movie being made. I didn't like it. Good cast, good visuals, terrible script. No reason for me to ever watch it again. Nothing compelling, no decent dialogue, not one scene that blew me away on any level. Complete waste of several great actors. I read the books as a teenager and liked the Lynch version better, despite being a campy,strange sometimes cringeworthy effort.
Literally nothing is better about this version, except it's modern filmmaking. Who writes these blockbusters? A book is source material for a movie not a script. Like it or hate it at least the first movie and the mini series had a honest to goodness real script. This movie like many others seems to be a pre-production story board of things happening without a script!
Rant over.

• 1WTF

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Saw it, loved it, no complaints - Having not seen the original or read the book in some years left me with alot of fuzzy spots i couldnt remember but came back while watching. They should have labelled it Dune Part 1 for those who were unaware it was going to be a multi-part movie story and not a half second pop up like they were trying to hide it lol
I think they did actually label it Part 1 right at the beginning. I did not watch it in the theater, so maybe it was just on the format I watched.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I think they did actually label it Part 1 right at the beginning. I did not watch it in the theater, so maybe it was just on the format I watched.

I saw it in the theater today and its labeled Part 1 there too

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Oh no I saw it but maybe I was mid blink bc it seems like it was only on screen for less than a couple seconds before it faded away. It's also possible I was munching on the cookies I smuggled in.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Man i'm not a picky person. I have one foolproof rating system on movies i personally like. Will i watch it again? I saw Dune today in the theater mostly to support the second movie being made. I didn't like it. Good cast, good visuals, terrible script. No reason for me to ever watch it again. Nothing compelling, no decent dialogue, not one scene that blew me away on any level. Complete waste of several great actors. I read the books as a teenager and liked the Lynch version better, despite being a campy,strange sometimes cringeworthy effort.
Literally nothing is better about this version, except it's modern filmmaking. Who writes these blockbusters? A book is source material for a movie not a script. Like it or hate it at least the first movie and the mini series had a honest to goodness real script. This movie like many others seems to be a pre-production story board of things happening without a script!
Rant over.

This is why I skip reading some stories and why I don't even expect a 1:1 conversion from book to big screen. I went with 5 others who never read book or seen original and they all loved it. I'd prefer to go into movies unaware over displeased because it's not like the book. On the other chance It is something I've read i just hope it's as faithful as can be so others can enjoy the story they missed in the book and get the overall picture of the story more than anything else.

• 1Like

Juvarisx

Florida
Loved it, it's a safer film the BR2049 which I am sure was in consideration since he wants to keep making these kinds of movies so it needed to be more accessible to non book readers hence some of the cuts. I imagine a lot of part two will fill some of that in (ie. Navigators). Wife never read the books and had no problems following it at all and loved it as well. One thing to consider is WB lost Nolan so them keeping DV happy and working with them will be a big factor (hence them all but saying this will get a part 2). Also getting people to go see this without a definite promise of part 2 to make it do better is a good marketing strategy.

I remember these same complaints about shit missing in the LoTR movies, people still loved it while some book nerds bitched. These days I never hear complaints about them even from people who read the books, which the EE's helped with so hopefully this will get one of those as well.

• 1Like