Dune (2020)

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
For anyone who enjoyed the movie, I would highly recommend giving the book a try. It's reputation as one of the all time great sci fi novels is well deserved.

Herbert's writing style doesn't work for everyone, but if it clicks for you, you can get stupefying levels of enjoyment out of the books.

Disclaimer: Dune is my #2 favorite book, right behind God Emperor of Dune.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
For anyone who enjoyed the movie, I would highly recommend giving the book a try. It's reputation as one of the all time great sci fi novels is well deserved.

Herbert's writing style doesn't work for everyone, but if it clicks for you, you can get stupefying levels of enjoyment out of the books.

I just read the synopsis of GEOD. That seems tough to follow.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Everybody here should read Dune. The first book is a slightly harder to follow coming of age story, but is a very clean, self-contained story.

Everything after the first book becomes something else, and God Emperor is a totally different beast altogether. I'd imagine a 3rd movie will be a combo of Dune Messiah (book 2), and Children of Dune (book 3). I'd like to see Denis take a shot at God Emperor, but that shit is gonna get weird.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

It is to a certain extent, but it is so damn good. Leto II is both the greatest villain and hero in human history. No other book has had me just wanting to read endless conversations between characters.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Cold, 35mph winds + rain outside and I've been sick for 2 days. OCD kicking in hard today.....
1635103741808.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I feel like my brain is much smoother now having only read the synopsis for God Emperor of dune.

The sandworm god guy has an army of women who talk to fish because if they were men they would either turn on their own people or engage in homoerotic activity during times of peace. Im not sure if I can keep reading.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I feel like my brain is much smoother now having only read the synopsis for God Emperor of dune.

The sandworm god guy has an army of women who talk to fish because if they were men they would either turn on their own people or engage in homoerotic activity during times of peace. Im not sure if I can keep reading.

He becomes the greatest tyrant in human history in order to save humanity from people like him. Because Paul didn't have the will to do it.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The deaf Harkonnen that's in the dragonfly ship thing when Jessica and Paul are restrained - does he have a name? That's really close to what I imagine Bubbles Bubbles is like IRL

• 10Worf
  • 1Ice Burn
Reactions: 10 users

Staredog

Trakanon Raider
This shit sucks and the melodrama is fucking ridiculous. Anything Zendaya turns to shit.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Cringe
  • 1Worf

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Got back from seeing this with my dad. Thought it was good, not great. Visuals/Cinematography were excellent but everything else was so/so.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Watched it tonight on the Max. As everyone has said, visuals and music was stunning. While I personally despise Zendaya I totally don't get the hate here. She basically had like 5 lines and is mostly in dream sequences. She is a non-issue for me.

I think it falls on leaving out so much info. If you haven't read the book you don't know what you don't know. Yueh being a traitor is bad, but they don't discuss the imperial conditioning and non-book readers don't grasp how "holy shit" him being the traitor is or how amazing it is that Harkonnen broke it.

I read the book and knew what was what. From that point of view it didn't suck and it wasn't great. Lack of titties is a definite 1 point reduction. 6.5/10

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Rimshot

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
She reminds me of a dark skinned Kristen Stewart. Comes off as annoying on film, not particularly attractive, cant act for shit and for some reason is getting the choice prime roles because for some reason people have decided she is the new 'It'. Feels like the machine is trying to force audiences to like her. I'd blame Weinstein if her were still around. just lacking movie star charisma

but thats just me.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>

I read it decades ago and I hardly remember it, but not in a bad way, I'm just old. Ordered it tonight and really looking forward to diving into it again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Tim And Eric Reaction GIF

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Watched it tonight on the Max. As everyone has said, visuals and music was stunning. While I personally despise Zendaya I totally don't get the hate here. She basically had like 5 lines and is mostly in dream sequences. She is a non-issue for me.

I think it falls on leaving out so much info. If you haven't read the book you don't know what you don't know. Yueh being a traitor is bad, but they don't discuss the imperial conditioning and non-book readers don't grasp how "holy shit" him being the traitor is or how amazing it is that Harkonnen broke it.

I read the book and knew what was what. From that point of view it didn't suck and it wasn't great. Lack of titties is a definite 1 point reduction. 6.5/10
Watch the mini series for titties. That is all.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Everybody here should read Dune. The first book is a slightly harder to follow coming of age story, but is a very clean, self-contained story.

Everything after the first book becomes something else, and God Emperor is a totally different beast altogether. I'd imagine a 3rd movie will be a combo of Dune Messiah (book 2), and Children of Dune (book 3). I'd like to see Denis take a shot at God Emperor, but that shit is gonna get weird.
Dune messiah I didn't appreciate enough the first read. The preacher's scenes are all brilliant.

And one reason GEoD works so good is moneo. He's the pivot that the characters GEoD, duncan, and Siona all wildly spin around. GEoD is what makes the book brilliant, but moneo keeps him perfectly on track. That'd be a harder role to play right than even the worm.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users