Dune (2020)

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Back from the Imax, enjoyed the show. Muumuu Baron reminds me of Ultra Fat Homer Simpson.

One of my friends quipped "Well, if this was Duncan Idaho I can see wanting to make a bunch of clones of him making more sense."

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
Back from the Imax, enjoyed the show. Muumuu Baron reminds me of Ultra Fat Homer Simpson.

One of my friends quipped "Well, if this was Duncan Idaho I can see wanting to make a bunch of clones of him making more sense."

lol the fish speakers all wanting to fuck duncan idaho finally makes sense

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This movie was pretty decent. It screamed that it should be a Netflix or similar service show. Is the 2nd movie even guaranteed to be made?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Ok this movie looks and sounds amazing in my home theater. That said, I've never read the book and didn't realize this movie was only going to be a portion of the book. Like what this fuck is this shit?! I Google it after watching and they haven't even greenlit another film? This should have been a series. Movies are obsoleting themselves with this shit.

• 3Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Ok this movie looks and sounds amazing in my home theater. That said, I've never read the book and didn't realize this movie was only going to be a portion of the book. Like what this fuck is this shit?! I Google it after watching and they haven't even greenlit another film? This should have been a series. Movies are obsoleting themselves with this shit.
Even crazier is the fact they gave money for half of a story without firm plans of finishing it. More proof that adults don't run things any more.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

wait till you find out that is just a sliver of book 1 of 20. I guess WB is looking for a Disney / Marvel money printing endless string of movies from a single universe they can make for 25 yrs.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
wait till you find out that is just a sliver of book 1 of 20. I guess WB is looking for a Disney / Marvel money printing endless string of movies from a single universe they can make for 25 yrs.

There are 6 books dammit.

• 7Like
  • 4Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 12 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Seriously, where's my fucking torch. If you made it through 20 you have brain damage.
For real. I did a couple of the non Frank books and I have to say if that wasn't a million years go I'd have felt better off just finding out what happened after book 6 on some Dune Wiki.

• 2Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Seriously, where's my fucking torch. If you made it through 20 you have brain damage.
This is true.

For a frame of reference, even *I* didnt make it through all of them.

If you don't start the process with brain damage you goddamn well finish with it

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
There are 2 types of navigators at least in the lynch version, the ones that look human, and the pilots, who don't.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
There are 2 types of navigators at least in the lynch version, the ones that look human, and the pilots, who don't.
There's guildsmen, who aren't navigators yet, and then the actual navigators themselves. I believe all the navigators are mutated like that, though herbert refined their description because he liked the way lynch took it. It's pretty safe to call the Lynch version cannon.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Dune scores $40m opening box office weekend, pretty tame by pre-covid times but beats all of DenisV's previous movies. Hopefully we see WB announce a Part 2 soon with DenisV, Paul, Chani, Jessica, and Aquaman on board

• 2Like

Goatface

Dune scores $40m opening box office weekend, pretty tame by pre-covid times but beats all of DenisV's previous movies. Hopefully we see WB announce a Part 2 soon with DenisV, Paul, Chani, Jessica, and Aquaman on board

heard a new bit, saying WB was only predicting $30m and also said it was on track to have the largest % of gross from imax, but i have not found any sites that track that.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Are we going to see the emperor in part 2? If so, who was casted?

Can someone that read the books give me a brief rundown on this dude?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Are we going to see the emperor in part 2? If so, who was casted?

Can someone that read the books give me a brief rundown on this dude?

His power is somewhat limited due managing the Bene Geserit, the Spacing Guild, and the Landsraad (the council of the great houses). His only true power is the threat of the Saurdukar, who are the strongest military force in the universe and fanatically loyal to him. He is obligated to put a Bene Geserit on the throne by way of his daughters all being trained by them. He has to keep the Landsraad from becoming unified by a strong leader like Duke Leto. He has to keep the Guild happy due to their monopoly on interstellar travel or his Sardaukar become useless.

He is both a figurehead and the most powerful man in the universe.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
His power is somewhat limited due managing the Bene Geserit, the Spacing Guild, and the Landsraad (the council of the great houses). His only true power is the threat of the Saurdukar, who are the strongest military forge in the universe and fanatically loyal to him. He is obligated to put a Bene Geserit on the throne by way if his daughters all being trained by him. He had to keep the Landsraad from becoming unified by a strong leader like Duke Leto. He has to keep the Guild happy due to their monopoly on interstellar travel or his Sardaukar become useless.

He is both a figurehead and the most powerful man in the universe.
Thanks Den, that's perfect.

Does everyone in the Dune universe have "normal" human lifespans?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Thanks Den, that's perfect.

Does everyone in the Dune universe have "normal" human lifespans?

Spice extends life. Those who can afford it can live close to double a normal lifespan. In Dune the Emperor is in his 70s IIRC, but is physically closer to late 30s.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

spronk

FPS noob
this is a pretty good and reasonably short (22 mins) loremaster for book 1 of Dune (and the movie), it goes into the 25000 year backstory before the movie. nice thing is you don't really need to know any of this to enjoy the movie, but it adds extra depth to it

• 3Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
this is a pretty good and reasonably short (22 mins) loremaster for book 1 of Dune (and the movie), it goes into the 25000 year backstory before the movie. nice thing is you don't really need to know any of this to enjoy the movie, but it adds extra depth to it

Thanks. I'll watch this after I put my daughter down for a nap.

• 1Like