Dune (2020)

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah, I'm pretty ok with the stillsuits considering, as long as they don't look retarded in motion. It's real difficult to keep my expectations tempered with this.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know, man. This is pretty close to what I had in my head when I read through the novel. The guy that plays Duke Leto looks a little young, sure, but I'm still excited.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I've been so thirsty, I even watched the old Dune movie on Netflix. I don't really do torrents much anymore, anyone know a spot I can get the "extended" version, with all the nerdy narrated stuff? I swear there were extra scenes too. I don't know what to call that version honestly, but I consider it the best version to watch. The sci-fi mini series would be cool too, although I likely find that on my own.

• 1Like

Szlia

I can't answer your question, but I found this and it's surprising the number of small editing differences there are between the theater release and the TV release. Having the same scenes but not using the same takes is pretty crazy. I never saw the TV version (well... I only saw the film on TV but it was the theater version), but it should be noted that Lynch asked to be removed from its credits (the classic 'Alan Smithee' is used instead).

EDIT: Forgot the link...

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
Dune-Chani-Zendaya-1536x1015.jpg

• 6Like
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 6 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I cannot wait. ERGHHHHHHHH.

Really hope they nail the brutalist, very harsh nature of the world/architecture etc. God, bestow onto thee a trailer.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Szlia

For comparison, the intro of the theater version :

It cuts a lot of the background, but it's less of a mess as it focuses on what will be important in the story that follows. Also that punchline leading to the title is simple but it just works !

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
The TV version had the prologue that is really good.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking of, last time I had that version was on a VHS tape in 90's. Was the first version I saw as a kid, before reading the books, so always seemed cooler to me. Might not even been extra scenes in it, I really don't remember. I was on the lookout for a dvd version years ago, but I don't think it was ever done.

gLobal

Trakanon Raider
The few times I've read Villeneuve's comments, it gives me hope.

“What Denis had stated to me was there was a lack of female characters in his cast, and he had always been very feminist, pro-women, and wanted to write the role for a woman,” Duncan-Brewster says. “This human being manages to basically keep the peace amongst many people. Women are very good at that, so why can’t Kynes be a woman? Why shouldn’t Kynes be a woman?”
I wasn't sure about Kynes being cast as a black female, but if she can pull it off, go for it. Kynes falls in that area of 'important, but not too important' for those kinds of changes. If it comes with an otherwise properly budgeted and directed Dune movie, I'll take it.

This version of the character is less of a madman and more of a predator. “As much as I deeply love the book, I felt that the baron was flirting very often with caricature,” says Villeneuve. “And I tried to bring him a bit more dimension. That’s why I brought in Stellan. Stellan has something in the eyes. You feel that there’s someone thinking, thinking, thinking—that has tension and is calculating inside, deep in the eyes. I can testify, it can be quite frightening.”
I can get behind a tweak for Baron Harkonnen too, and I kind of agree with his assessment. I just hope those are the only major cast adjustments.

The casting choice, sets, and equipment are pretty much on point for me.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah not a fan of the Kynes change.
Baron doesn’t bother me as much.
I am hyped but keeping it tempered.

• 2Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
It's Hollywood, so don't expect greatness. Most of what is produced is a polished turd.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I mean you gotta play ball to get into pocket$.

He just got done burning a few hundred million on Bladerunner. Nobody was going to give him another several hundred M, without going a little woke to open some producer pockets up-- and that is fine with me.

• 1Dislike

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Does this mean we might get Rebel Wilson as Baroness Harkonnen? (fucking el oh el spellcheck tried to change that to harpooner)

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I went to see the original film back when I was a kid and without having read the book. We walked out of that theater so staggeringly confused it was comical. I can now appreciate the Lunch vision for what it is, but that theatrical cut was a mess for the uninitiated.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity