Dune (2020)

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Was re-reading Dune in anticipation of this (hadn't read it in probably 10+ years) - Was crazy how much I'd forgotten.

After just reading it, I will say it's pretty astonishing how tight and compelling the first 2/3rds of the book are vs. the ending which to me was a little flat and rushed. About halfway through Messiah and the story beats and world building that made the original so good fall off a cliff imo. Still a decent read, but nothing like the first 80% of book 1.

Regardless, my disappointment with this being delayed an entire fucking year is immeasurable and I hope in that year every movie theater chain in this country goes belly up so Hollywood has to innovate their distribution models.

Messiah is definitely a weak book imo, too. It has its interesting parts, but the next two books are much better and more akin to the first in quality.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Not for you but you're not really the target audience. For people who are into the dumb disney shit, it is.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Indeed.

As an aside, I would have no problem at all paying $30.00 for Dune.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It wasnt worth $30. But its still cheaper and more convenient than taking a family trip to the theater.

spronk

FPS noob
Indeed.

As an aside, I would have no problem at all paying $30.00 for Dune.

i'd have no problem with some streamer dude in Russia paying $30 for Dune and then him ripping it and uploading it to a million torrent sites

I'm REALLY, REALLY, REALLY disappointed no one has released a telecine or better version of Tenet, its been fucking 3 months now. Asian piracy groups don't care about BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAM movies i guess

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'd pay for Dune. I pirated when I was younger because it was free. I pirate now because they make access such a chore and splinter everything into microservices. Nothx. This is not what consumers wanted when we moved away from cable.

Allegedly.

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
7C95.gif

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
30$ after it's deemed SJW free otherwise it's Mulan status for me

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'd pay for Dune. I pirated when I was younger because it was free. I pirate now because they make access such a chore and splinter everything into microservices. Nothx. This is not what consumers wanted when we moved away from cable.

Allegedly.
It's insane what they charge for digital movies

Screenshot_20201015-071415_Google Play Store.jpg

The death of the modern film industry is beautiful

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It's insane what they charge for digital movies

View attachment 310247

The death of the modern film industry is beautiful
Agree kind of, but the price is fine imo. Way, way less than a movie theater trip would cost. For you and me who don't give a shit about Mulan or Disney's remake machine, it doesn't matter. For people who are into it, they'd gladly pay 35 bucks. Same with Dune, I'd pay more than 35 bucks for Dune, but I doubt my wife can muster a single fuck to give about it.

That kind of niche marketing is what allowed TV to go from utter trash in the 90s to, imo, being ahead of the movie industry when it comes to telling new and interesting stories. I'd be hopeful that maybe the same will happen with movies but they'll fuck it up somehow I am sure.

Sterling

El Presidente
yeah it's priced like that because they assume it's more than 1 person watching it. It's sort of the same shit with PPV sporting events.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
They can assume their asses all the way to the bread line while I pirate their movies, then.

Not going to keep funding hollywood while they're encouraging an economic collapse and raising consumer costs at the same time.

• 1Like

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Film studios have relied on theaters to distribute their movies to the masses forever. This model has led to blockbusters having expected sales in the hundreds of millions and accordingly movie budgets have gone through the roof. With this pandemic, studios now are deeply invested in productions and don't want to lose their ass by streaming it as people just aren't interested in spending comparable $$ to watch something at home vs experiencing it at a theater. I'm also not sure what type of contracts exists between theaters and film studios regarding distribution which could be a barrier as well.

This year has been a gut check to the status quo of film making and I halfway suspect actor's will be paid less going forward since, especially with A-list actors, they often make up a big chunk of the budgets. At least I hope they do in lieu of dropping production values and hosting a new era of 80s direct-to-video movie making (even though some of those were awesome). I could also see tech like what's been used for sets on the Mandalorian will also be more widely adopted.

• 2Like