Dune (2020)

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Fair enough. That picture of her isnt that bad. My real gripe is she just seems too young. But Im sure the movie will be amazing.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Father of Chani

His father:
I don’t think it’s fair to present that without book context. Herbert is often vague with physical descriptions and races. At times Leto is described as “dark skinned” or similar, but he is explicitly and without question of Greek descent. Herbert was often far more interested in interactions than thoroughly describing characters.

• 1Great Review
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I don’t think it’s fair to present that without book context. Herbert is often vague with physical descriptions and races. At times Leto is described as “dark skinned” or similar, but he is explicitly and without question of Greek descent. Herbert was often far more interested in interactions than thoroughly describing characters.
The casting call also wasn't for a black woman. It was always for a woman, but the initial description Villeneuve had sounded basically like book Kynes, just a lady. Depending on who plays the rest of the fremen, I imagine it will not be hard to tell that the British lady is not (fully) one of them, similar to how in Star Wars, a British accent informed you a person was an Imperial or at least from the Core systems.

Plus, Liet Kynes spent his whole life on Arrakis, Pardot was really the one who "went native", Liet Kynes was taught fremen ways and ecology from birth

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Lady Jessica casting choice retarded. Needed an older Italian/Mediterranean type woman with dark hair.

Totally disagree. Rebecca Fergusun is a great choice for this role. Shes a fantastic actress that can really pull it of.

Zendaya as Chani on the other hand...

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Zendaya as Chani on the other hand...
Keep complaining and you're going to end up with Laverne Cox
Fox Tv Sashay GIF by Rocky Horror Picture Show

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Willem Dafoe would have made an exceptional Liet Kynes.

It's a crime he doesn't have some part in Dune.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Kynes spoilers.

I just hope they include Kynes death the way it happens in the book. The way his father goes on about the cheerful idealism of man forming nature to his desires, and the sheer indifferent fuck you from nature Kynes gets in answer as he dies is really a microcosm of the rest of the book at a whole.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Plus, Liet Kynes spent his whole life on Arrakis, Pardot was really the one who "went native", Liet Kynes was taught fremen ways and ecology from birth

I forgot this information. This was mentioned in Dune? That is, it’s not from Brian Herbert’s expanded universe bullcrap?

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Read through the impression article from Polygon

A couple of things have me pretty concerned:

Opening with the voice of Zendaya’s character, Chani, describing the imperial pressure of the Harkonnen boot on the Fremen tribes of Arakkis
Sigh. Here we go, I knew they would change the scope of Chani's character due to the casting choice.

This new adaptation of Dune is expected to limit itself to covering roughly the first half of the book. (Legendary has not yet given a greenlight to a sequel, though a spinoff based on witchy, eugenics-focused Bene Gesserit was ordered.)
The Fuck?

• 1Worf

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
No sequel green lit.
The Fuck?
This was the big concern when WB made their HBO Max day one announcements. This movie costs a ton to make, has a director that makes critical darlings that dont make a lot of money already, so there is basically no way this movie turns a profit if people can watch it at home for the cost of a sub. Unless they have grossly adjusted their expectations, or are planning to count every sub in October towards the gross of this movie, the chances of part 2 could be in jeopardy. Part 2 is allegedly written, but has not begun any production.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Part 2 is allegedly written, but has not begun any production.
Thats not encouraging. Execs are throwing around truck loads of cash at every IP imaginable right now yet their big budget movie with a well rounded cast is in limbo?

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I think this is a real issue of the fact that its a multi-studio production. Legendary was the production company and WB is the distributor, so Legendary is the one really getting fucked by the HBO Max release. It's really a money game where everyone stands to lose, from the actors and director, the audience, both companies, just everyone.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its not like they made the HBO Max decision because they were bored.

The spectre of Covid forced their hand. I just dont know why they decided to schedule an entire calendar year.