Dune (2020)

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
9/10, final score 7/10 (-1 for fucking Zendaya, -1 for showing her every 15-20 minutes... can't stand that bitch).
Movie is good. Initially it felt weird, my brain kept bringing up Lynch's version before letting it go. Woke tokenism is there but it's under control. Started to stretch a little by the end, wish they spent more time on secondary characters instead, especially the Harkonnen, and also less on forementioned bitch. Thanos was OK, but I liked Picard a bit more, he played Gurney somewhat less seriously I guess. Also liked Francesca Annis more as Jessica, especially early on but it was getting better for Ferguson as the movie progressed.
And before I forget: fuck Zendaya.

• 4Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 4 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
9/10, final score 7/10 (-1 for fucking Zendaya, -1 for showing her every 15-20 minutes... can't stand that bitch).
Movie is good. Initially it felt weird, my brain kept bringing up Lynch's version before letting it go. Woke tokenism is there but it's under control. Started to stretch a little by the end, wish they spent more time on secondary characters instead, especially the Harkonnen, and also less on forementioned bitch. Thanos was OK, but I liked Picard a bit more, he played Gurney somewhat less seriously I guess. Also liked Francesca Annis more as Jessica, especially early on but it was getting better for Ferguson as the movie progressed.
Harkonnen... secondary character? Have you read the book? I see that complaint as a potentially good sign.

• 1Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 users

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
The book? No, still on my todo list (I have the e-book somewhere on my disk). Shame on me.
Yeah, in this movie they are secondary characters, based on how much screen time they have (unfortunatelly). It's heavily Atriedes based. And fucking Zendaya, who "should" be barely in it, has more screen time. Well, Baron is probably up there, didn't use a stopwatch :p, but for the rest it felt like they kind of have to put them here and there, and if it wasn't for recognizable characters they would be completely forgettable. This is in comparison with Lynch's movie (+fan edits), which some of you probably hate but it's all I have to go by.
EDIT: Also no Feyd. And gender/race tokenized Max Von Sydow gets more screen time than Baron :p (no idea how important he is in the book).

Last edited:
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
She appears regularly in visions, but I'd say her total screen time is under 10 minutes in a 155 minutes movie. I'm sure you'll survive.
I'll let her know you made this post, maybe she'll give you a handy.

• 3Picard
  • 3Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 6 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I'll let her know you made this post, maybe she'll give you a handy.

I'm just feeding a troll, but I don't really care for Zendaya either as an actress, she's a rather boring MJ in MCU Spidey movies in my opinion.

But feel free to think I'm being a white knight because I don't have an aneurysm when I see brown actors and actresses cast as desert-dwelling tribesmen.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'm just feeding a troll, but I don't really care for Zendaya either as an actress, she's a rather boring MJ in MCU Spidey movies in my opinion.

But feel free to think I'm being a white knight because I don't have an aneurysm when I see brown actors and actresses cast as desert-dwelling tribesmen.
And yet here you are to are to defend the honor of it all.

• 2Picard
  • 1Worf
  • 1Garbage

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
It’s been a few months since I’ve watched the old movie but I don’t think there are more flash backs in the new than the old. Shrug.

Sterling

El Presidente
seems like most reviews fall into book fans liking it and people that haven't read the books have mixed responses. Them focusing more of the marketing on a character that's in ~ 10 percent of the movie doesn't bother me because if they feel like she'll get people in the seats and if that means they finish the 2nd half of this it's fine by me.

• 1Picard

Xevy

Log Wizard
I never read the books and I've watched all the trailers and it didn't look to me like Zendaya was going to be a huge thing. Looked like Twiggothy Chalamet and then there was also Zendaya maybe.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I never read the books and I've watched all the trailers and it didn't look to me like Zendaya was going to be a huge thing. Looked like Twiggothy Chalamet and then there was also Zendaya maybe.

Exactly, Tim looks like a effeminate soyboy and so does Zendaya. So it's a good match?

2021-09-19 02.51.54 assets.vogue.com 66a579d26a29.png

• 3Barf
  • 1Direct to DVD
Reactions: 3 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Oh look, another idiot who lacks the ability to visualize characters based on text, and as a result isnt bothered when casting shits all over the source material for diversity points.

I'm convinced this is an undiagnosed mental disability. I wonder if its correlated. Do you have an internal dialogue?

In the books, Paul is fascinated by Chani because he's been seeing this breathtakingly beautiful girl in visions then she appears in real life.

With this casting, the only reasonable reaction upon seeing her would be; "Wait, you guys imported a bunch of African laborers early in your history too? Why is there only one of them left?"

I wish the woke side would just admit it. Admit you're shitting all over source material for woke points. Instead of pretending "oh I don't even notice, she's just such a good actress!"

• 4Like
  • 1Salty

Szlia

What 'breathtakingly beautiful' means for a fictional character does not conjure the same image for book reader Aldarion and film director Denis Villeneuve. News at 11 !

• 3Like
  • 2Salty
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 5 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
What 'breathtakingly beautiful' means for a fictional character does not conjure the same image for book reader Aldarion and film director Denis Villeneuve. News at 11 !
this is a dumb take.

do you also lack the ability to visualize characters based on text?

follow up question, do you have an internal dialogue?

• 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

woot!

Trakanon Raider
Just saw it, and personnaly, I loved it. It has been a long time since I had seen an SF movie that really looks epic.
I had not read the books (now I definately will), just had seen Lynch's version a long time ago, and played Dune II when I was a kid but that's it, so I can't tell what was missing. It is gorgeous (visually) and felt like it was way shorter than the actual runtime.
I didn't notice any woke stuff, but I just saw Candyman a few days ago (really well directed, but the content is pure garbage), so my filter is kind of broken atm.

• 1Solidarity

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Think I'm going to see it wens. For the bros that did see it already, 3d or no?

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I'm not sure there's a 3D version of it, but if you have a choice I'd go 2D as the visuals are amazing and in my experience 3D tends to make the image darker and a little blurrier, which would be a shame.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Just saw it, and liked it. I honestly wasn't expecting to, to be honest. My review in the spoilers:

The cinematography and CGI is breath-taking. He knows his shit when it comes to that. I also mostly liked the casting. The race/genderbending Liet was actually not too bad. She played the roll well. (Though in my mind Liet is always a "he".) Leto and Paul are also good, you get a good vibe for the supposed Greek ancestry. Duncan, Gurny and the others were decent, but nothing special. Barron and Rabban Harkkonen were surprisingly good for the very little screen time they got, though slightly comical (just not as comical as usually portrayed). Stilgar was also pretty well cast. The only real downers for me was Lady Jessica. She was too emotional and fragile for my tastes. Jessica in my mind is supposed to fear nothing (though she should have some respectful anxiety with regards to Paul's meeting with the Reverend Mother). Then there is Chaini. Sure, she was cocky, as she is supposed to be, but the actress just didn't resonate with me. Lastly, as mentioned before, they FINALLY got the Thopters "right".

• 1Like