Dune (2020)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Things that first time viewers (non book readers) will miss:

- Imperial Conditioning: what it is, the significance of the Diamond symbol, and the fact that Dr. Yeuh had his broken and by who
- What CHOAM is
- What the Landsraad is
-
The effect the Spice has on the Spacing Guild
- What a Mentat is and why Thufir and Piters eyes rolled back sometimes. (also no red stained lips?)
- Chani's parentage I assume remains the same just gender swapped
- Jessicas parentage...to still be revealed?
- Where is Feyd...maybe in Part 2?
- Where is Princess Irulan...maybe in Part 2?
- What the 'weirding way' is. It was only mentioned once in the film and no explanation for non book readers

That's a great list of reasons as to why this movie is shit, but yall simping for it anyway.

• 4Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Had a watch party at our house with our 30 something couple friends who wanted to see it. For reference, our living room has a big comfy couch, 80 inch TV and a 9.2 surround system (this movie did 7.1 Atmos I believe) which is why our house is the party house among our group. Dennis V can do no wrong, at least visually, in my opinion. As a fan of the books, I liked the movie and how the worked hard to follow the books as closely as possible. I had to explain side shit to our friends, but they liked it as well.

Biggest issues I have are mostly pretty minor:
1- Doc Yueh stuff was not sufficiently fleshed out. Part of this is the fault of the massive story being told here and poor prioritization of what makes a good movie, as opposed to a good book.
2- Not enough explanation of the Navigators. No demonstration of the fold process nor showing how they were essentially mutated beings.
3- No explanation of the Mentets and why they were significant.
4- Neflix version of Leit Kynes. This one I take massive issue with as the whole point of the character in the books was that he was an old imperial man who had gone native and we got a palette and gender swap for not decent reason. If they had at least picked an old black woman that maybe would have flown, but as it stands its clearly Netflix style casting.
5- Zedenya or whatever the fuck her name is. Her acting was actually fine for a change. Mostly I am just annoyed at the obvious over emphasis placed on the minor Chani character.
6- Duel scene was an abrupt end point. This is due to how much the last part dragged, but it makes for an odd climax point of the movie which seemed to end on a wet fart, comparitively.

So if you want to pack some of that shit in for the first three items, where do you cut?
1- Shadout Mapes. Worthless fucking character that both Herbert and Lynch had a huge hardon for some reason could be entirely dropped from the movie (along with the whole hunter seeker drone shit) freeing up lots of time for shit that actually matters.
2- Gurney. If his character completely vanished from the movie there would be zero impact on anything in the story. Combine his shit with Duncan and no one new to the franchise would ever notice, in fact.
3- The tent shit and Leit Kynes death. Here is an area where Lynch got it right. Have the Harkonnen gack Leit Kynes because they want to cover up trying to kill Paul and Jessica. Skip the entire stupid temple sequence and skip to the end. This also solves one of the major pacing issues with the last act of this movie.

Outside of Leit Kynes and Chani, I was pleased with most of the casting. Jessica might have seemed weak on the surface, but the actress was really good. Emo Dib was fine and Leto fucking knocked it out of the park. The absence of Fayd or the Emperor was noticeable to me as a fan of the book and the Lynch movie, though. Its not a perfect movie, but it was good and visually / audibly awesome in our home theatre setup. I look forward to the sequal.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

spronk

FPS noob
one of the funniest scenes was when we first see the Sardaukar troops and some Tibetan throat singing starts booming out the speakers. like... wtf is this, the director just wanted to put that type of music (which is neat as fuck) in his movie and couldn't find anywhere else to put it, haha

I do like how they portray the Sardaukar in this movie, did a better job than 1984 or the TV show for sure. They are super weird but also crazy competent. The language stuff was interesting, I wish there was more of that to show what a crazy wacky "Empire" humanity currently had. All the Jihad stuff came across as super flat and unconnected.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Piter and Rabban deserved much more screen time.

Thufir...im not sure about the casting choice. Maybe its because Freddie Jones was so damn good.

I was nervous about the baron, as I thought Kenneth McMillan would be too hard an act to follow, but Stellan was amazing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
That's a great list of reasons as to why this movie is shit, but yall simping for it anyway.
Holy crap. Its been a long time since I read the book but these are all things vital to the story that come up in the first 100 pages. How could they not be in Part 1 at all?

• 2Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
This is true, in a way (according to particle physics). If you knew where every particle in the universe was, you could predict the future and know the past with 100% accuracy. Conservation of information means all that data is out there still.

All you need is a computer the size of the universe to make the computations.
1634945774335.png

That is, essentially, what happens in this book, the third in a series. AI essentially accesses infinite universal resources to become "God". Interesting trilogy.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
This is definitely a 7.1 home theater movie. All Denis V movies are really meant for the big screen. The sound mixing is usually epic.
The sound mixing in Sicario was such an integral part of the experience - it keeps your nerves unconsciously on edge, it is brilliant. One of my fav movies of all time. I think I will watch it tonight after the boy goes to sleep.

• 1Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Went and saw it instead of going to some dinner with my girlfriend. Priorities. I'll preface this by saying I have read Dune multiple times. I liked this alot, but I would give it a 8.5/10.

I thought it was pretty faithful to the book, but overall was simply a rough sketch. Everything is there; the heroes, the villains, the weird tech, and the mysticism. But there didn't feel like there was enough depth. There certainly was depth. Every weird chant and vision and dream, I was on board with. In fact, I wished it was even weirder. I wished they didn't describe anything, just let you live in the film and if you don't get it you don't get it.

I wish A24 had done this.

Favorite scene was the Salusa Secundus scene. I wish the whole movie had that vibe.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Holy crap. Its been a long time since I read the book but these are all things vital to the story that come up in the first 100 pages. How could they not be in Part 1 at all?
Other than the Suk Doctor, I dont think the movie suffered for any of it, and none of it is necessary to telling a cinematic story vs a literary one. Books have a lot more room for exposition, asides and appendices.

for example

CHOAM and the Landsraad are not explicitly spelled out what they are, but their desires and needs are discussed to the point that you should be able to understand their general station and purpose.

Why spice is important is said, but what a navigator is is only eluded to.

Thufir is shown doing complex math, and he and Piter are very clearly trusted advisors and have the same lip makeup.

Most anything related to Chanai feels just moved around to be more for part 2, where it would be more cohesive since we have a big break between.

Same with Jessica and the fact that the Weirding (Way) is just the Fremen word for Bene Gesserit (again, sequel pacing)

Princess feels like she may have been cut?

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
If there's really a 4 or 6 hour cut, I really hope that gets released.

• 7Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Just saw this with 4 friends in an Imax "Laser" theater (one of only 7 in the US, wowowowow so elite!): I really enjoyed this. The 3 other guys never read the books. One was blown away by the visuals. Another guy, "I would've happily sat through another 2-3 hrs straight to see Part II. The other said it was really cool.

Visuals & audio were impressive. The scale, the look, it just worked. My only complaints were just the limited time frame to work out so many tiny details. Very excited for a Part II - I don't see there being anyway they can't do a Part II now.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
I thoroughly enjoyed this. So much so that I wanna pickup the books.

For none book readers they could have delved deeper into some of the other houses and the lore of the books. Movie could have been a lot longer and I woulda been ok with it.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Movie looks good but skips tons of story. No Emperor, no Irulan, no Feyd.

No mention of what a mentat is and both of them mostly ignored in the movie. (where is Thurfir suspecting Jessica as a traitor? Why does he not mount a counter attack? Why did they cast a 71 year old fat dude? Can he even make it to a sequel?)

They neuter Dr Yeuh's story (which really is kind of important for this part of the film). You can barely understand half of what he says and he is barely in the movie. Gimmie Dean Stockwell over this crap.

Lady Jessica is a mewling baby. Do you get any sense that anyone suspects her of being the traitor? Another missed story beat. Yueh and Jessica play an important part of making this event so tragic.

The Baron can't be an evil gay guy in 2021 I guess. From a review -

"Unfortunately, Herbert's original 1965 novel depicts the Baron Harkonnen as "The Depraved Homosexual," a harmful trope that explicitly links being gay with being evil. The Baron is the only character in the book who is shown to be gay and it's always in a predatory way as the Baron assaults slave boys and fantasizes about 15-year-old Paul.

Villeneuve wisely cut this from the movie but does have Duke Leto shown naked in his death scene, which could be interpreted as a subtle hint to the books."

The movie reduces most of the political intrigue to a bare thread.

When you put this all together it makes you wonder what book you guys read.

That said I really liked Jason Mamoa as Duncan Idaho, it's too bad we'll never get the next two books. Easily the best parts of the movie and best screen version of Idaho.

It's too bad they cut or didn't do the dinner scene, perhaps that could have done quite a bit to fix my issues. Visually the movie was mostly excellent and I too would like to see an extended cut.

• 2Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Is this worth pirating right now? I've never tried downloading a brand new movie.

And don't ride my nuts....I'm going to end up watching it twice in the theater and buying 5+ DVD copies as gifts anyways. I just want to watch it tonight but I'm sick and didn't want to go to the theater.

Edit: oh wait, I can get it on hbo max right now?

• 1Jonesing

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Other than the Suk Doctor, I dont think the movie suffered for any of it, and none of it is necessary to telling a cinematic story vs a literary one. Books have a lot more room for exposition, asides and appendices.

for example

CHOAM and the Landsraad are not explicitly spelled out what they are, but their desires and needs are discussed to the point that you should be able to understand their general station and purpose.

Why spice is important is said, but what a navigator is is only eluded to.

Thufir is shown doing complex math, and he and Piter are very clearly trusted advisors and have the same lip makeup.

Most anything related to Chanai feels just moved around to be more for part 2, where it would be more cohesive since we have a big break between.

Same with Jessica and the fact that the Weirding (Way) is just the Fremen word for Bene Gesserit (again, sequel pacing)

Princess feels like she may have been cut?
So rather than wonder, I just watched it on HBO Max in 4K. It's pretty fucking great. I can be wrong about such things without taking time to digest them because the artistry can overwhelm the art at times (cough). I have a number of critiques on this but overall I like it.

- wow DV makes visual fucking masterpieces. Just the size of the frame in so many shots is amazing/grand majestic.

All the performance were good. Javier Bardiem didn't come off too well but its not much time.

-The initial Zendaya voiceover ruins the Fremen reveal, who are a mystery in both the books and every version I have ever seen, only tidbits (Shadout Mapes, Liet Kynes, initial meeting with the Fremen Duncan brings back) until the escape to the Deep Desert, which they really elongate in this version. Everything is really stretched out here, sometimes for better and sometimes not for the better.

-I love the Atreides Spanish imagery. I have always imagined them as tragic Greek heroes but the Spanish Picasso style suits them.

-I agree with everyone saying this would be a much better 12 episode limited run HBO Max series. Its not GoT redux because there really isn't any Season 2 because Dune Messiah in a limited fashion, Children of Dune, kinda but anything after that are really "Sequels" in name only, telling different stories in the Dune universe, some with the same Characters; its more of an anthology than a true series.

-Agree with whomever said Jessica was way too emo: She spent way more time crying and shaken up than I expected. Even waiting outside Paul's door, she is a quivering mess. She is a Politically conspiratorial advisor to Kings who is also trained killer with a mind of steel who is part of a semi-secret organization of agents who have seeded survival stories on thousands of worlds, who seemingly spends 2/3rds of her screen time upset or in tears. I get we live in a world of maudlin James Bond but come on.

-Agree with the Landsraad and CHOAM, its all explained in basic terms. Navigators hinted at, Emperors lacking an heir mentioned by Paul in the Eco research station when he was laying out his play for the throne to Liet Kynes; Irulan I think will be a part of the next movie.

-On Liet Kynes, I find I didn't mind the Gender/Race swap at all, although unnecessary because this movie had so many "Moor" black people I didn't know which part of the Earth Desert he was trying to emulate. Good on them but I couldn't help thinking with an insular population inbreeding over how many generations how were there any genetically dissimilar skin colors left on Arrakis? Maybe there were millions of Fremen but that doesn't ignore genetics.

-Loved the Mentat calculation moments, that was brilliant.

-I think I was wrong about when Feyd shows up, I think it is later in the book, at a party or a gladiator contest, or some formal function. Way past the first 100 pages. Mentions he was close to being the KH but not quite or something like that. Maybe he was there earlier. It probably been 30 years since I read it so YMMV/IIRC.

-With all that time I can't believe they glossed over Yueh's conditioning and his breaking being so unexpected. This may be the biggest oversight in the movie. It...just happens. At least Lynch explained it at all. DV doesn't even give it a go.

There is no replacing Freddie Jones as Thufir but whomever this was good in his own right.

I was completely mind fucked by the scenes of some guy later being his friend, which I didn't recognize from the book or the movie, and the Bene Gesserit voice them saying let Paul Atriedes die so the KH may live ended up being the guy that Muad'dib has to kill to join. Or am I just remembering this wrong? I thought in the book that was a fight over something else?