Dune: Part Two (2023)

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
This isn't a movie spoiler. More about dune lore. Big just in case
After Paul kills the Baron and makes the emperor kiss the ring, we hear that the landsraad houses refuse to honor his ascendancy. Then the jihad kicks off as the fighters head towards the landsraad fleet.

Is there a name for the war with the landsraads? I want to go read about it and I assume it has a name.
the jihad...

1709443442884.jpeg

my work here is done.

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
I feel like the rip I watched must have been a different movie than the one you all saw. I thought it was dull. The sand just whited the screen out too much. Should have shot more dawn/dusk raid scenes so the lighting would not wash the whole of the scenes out. Plus the fight scene I was looking forward the most was utter garbage.
Paul and Fade's fight was just slow and absent of threat. Suddenly Paul has a knife in his shoulder...From where? There was his knife in his hand and the Emperor's in his lung from Fade stabbing him there, where did the third knife come from? Did Paul not learn the Fremen weirding way to do the jumps etc?

Also Christopher Walken was wasted as the Emperor. I understand not using the lines from the 80's Dune, but come on, her barely talked period during his screen time.

Now Lady Jessica was awesome. She had a much larger role than I thought she would. And Rebecca Ferguson looked awesome with the Reverend Mother tats.

I would not see this in a theater, it felt like a wasted 2 and 1/2 hours to me.
I really wanted to like it. Biggest let down of a movie for me since the last three Star Wars movies.

I am sure I will be flamed for this opinion but I liked part one better by a mile, Duke Leto, Duncan, and Gurney Halleck carried the first movie. Then again those three actors are better than what was left over to carry part two. Maybe if Gurney's part in two was larger it would have helped. He did well with his limited screen time.

• 4Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 4 users

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
But that one little event doesn't have it's own name? The J is the overarching war, right?

Apparently it's also referred to as Paul's Jihad or Muad'Dib's Jihad.

However I don't think it's covered much in the books, because the story jumps between the end of the first and beginning of the second. This might be unpacked further in some other book.
1709450727274.png

For the record I only read the first book and that was years ago. I never finished the second or remember much of it. I have some time on my hands so I might go revisit them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I feel like the rip I watched must have been a different movie than the one you all saw. . The sand just whited the screen out too much. Should have shot more dawn/dusk raid scenes so the lighting would not wash the whole of the scenes out.
Lol k

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
Paul and Fade's fight was just slow and absent of threat. Suddenly Paul has a knife in his shoulder...From where? There was his knife in his hand and the Emperor's in his lung from Fade stabbing him there, where did the third knife come from? Did Paul not learn the Fremen weirding way to do the jumps etc?
The knife in the side was his crysknife; Fayd disarmed him and stabbed him with it. The knife in the shoulder was the emperor's knife, the one Fayd was pushing into him slowly while he held onto it. The knife he stabbed Fayd with was also the crysknife, he pulled it out of his side with his other hand and then stabbed Fayd with it.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
I thought this was really good, worth it for the visuals alone IMO, but the rest of it wasn't bad.

Fremen need to work on their tactics though - if you are going to bury yourself in the sand, at least wait til they get to you, don't jump out of the sand 30 yards away and then run the remaining distance. That's just asking to get shot, although to the movie's credit they *do* get shot doing that.

Actually, thinking about it more - what was even the point of attacking the Sardaurkar with the crawlers ? Just use the beam weapons on the crawler then leave.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I feel like the rip I watched must have been a different movie than the one you all saw. I thought it was dull. The sand just whited the screen out too much. Should have shot more dawn/dusk raid scenes so the lighting would not wash the whole of the scenes out.

Downloads shitty rip, complains about picture quality.

Normal FOH service is resumed. Although incelcube crying about female characters was typical.

I actually thought the movie was ok, at no point was I blown away although I did end up downloading a kindle version of the book.

Harkonnen were scrubs, no better than stormtroopers. Dave Batista was a scrub the whole film and got one hit ko by thanos. Austin butler struggled with a pow. Too much time spent showing their sadism and degeneracy over combat prowess

Zendaya was fine, anyone crying about her is just an incel. I spent more time thinking about her slightly crooked front tooth than I did about her character/acting/gender/race

Typical incel BoozeCube BoozeCube hating women and labelling desert dwelling tribal female as "spoiled" and "pouty" after she'd spent God knows how long helping off world stranger settle into her way of life only to get ditched at his moment of victory for woman he'd just set eyes on. Thus being reminded that he was an off worlder all along and still beholden to his own customs and ambitions

Last edited:
  • 2Picard
  • 2Worf
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 4 users

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Actually, thinking about it more - what was even the point of attacking the Sardaurkar with the crawlers ? Just use the beam weapons on the crawler then leave.
The deployment of weapons is kind of WTF between the use of kinetic weapons, swords, lasers and atomic bombs, but it all ties back to the shields.

For example shooting a laser at a shield would create an atomic blast, so they have to be taken out first before the lasers go pew pew.

I had the same question and looked it up.

velk

Trakanon Raider
The deployment of weapons is kind of WTF between the use of kinetic weapons, swords, lasers and atomic bombs, but it all ties back to the shields.

For example shooting a laser at a shield would create an atomic blast, so they have to be taken out first before the lasers go pew pew.

I had the same question and looked it up.

Yeah, but the crawlers weren't shielded. Also the fremen are basically terrorist insurgents; trading one guy + laser for a crawler, it's fliers, and the bunch of troops guarding it seems like a win even if they *were* shielded. ( Even assuming the blast is big enough to kill the gunner - they seemed to have a pretty epic range on those beams ).

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, but the crawlers weren't shielded. Also the fremen are basically terrorist insurgents; trading one guy + laser for a crawler, it's fliers, and the bunch of troops guarding it seems like a win even if they *were* shielded. ( Even assuming the blast is big enough to kill the gunner - they seemed to have a pretty epic range on those beams ).
Yea I don't think the movie ever shows shields on the crawlers, but that was kind of what I assumed after looking into it further.

On that point...why the fuck didn't Paul have a weapon in the opening scene? WTF did I miss there?

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought this was really good, worth it for the visuals alone IMO, but the rest of it wasn't bad.

Fremen need to work on their tactics though - if you are going to bury yourself in the sand, at least wait til they get to you, don't jump out of the sand 30 yards away and then run the remaining distance. That's just asking to get shot, although to the movie's credit they *do* get shot doing that.

HaHa,

Friend and I had that same question. You see Paul in his first mission with the Fremen go up against a spice harvester. They spend a descent amount of time with that segment. I was thinking " Yeah this would take some balls going after a well guarded harvester and setting up explosives to take it out". Then you see the light cannon just blitz the thing down. We were like" Why did they just not lead with that tactic?". The next scene you see them leading with the light cannon............

The movie did a poor job conveying what the original mission was for the ground troops. Nothing ever showed the harvesters with shields..

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm still chewing on this one, I liked it a bunch and it was definitely a theater watch. It was a spectacle and pretty, but it fell slightly short due to coming in with pretty high expectations, so probably my fault. I enjoyed Part One more than Part Two, but the first half of Part Two more than the second half. These opinions are from someone that hasn't read the book. The first Dune movie may as well have been original content for me so some of this may just be this edition being truer to the source material.

I agree with the weapons and general battle tactics comments. First scene, "...the ornithopters shields are only down when it shoots...", <ornithopter shoots>, <missile hits the shield and wiggles its way through>. Why not the first shot then? Overall, whatever, I let go of that type of thing pretty quick. It didn't really ruin anything.

I thought the Giedi Prime arc was great. Good atmosphere, visuals, etc. I wasn't a fan of Feyd's voice and it was mildly distracting. Regarding preserving the blood line, are they specifically preserving a Harkonnen strain? If Lady Jessica was Harkonnen that seems the more important line than Atreides and the are protecting against Paul potentially dying.

I enjoy the 'reluctant hero' trope more than whatever Paul became at the half way point. When he went full Messiah in the South his personality lost me. It didn't seem to mesh with with Chalamet's stature and presence.

If you can see these futures, and you found the one that works, why give up Chani like that? If you 'love her as long as you breathe' and you know the other houses are going to deny your claim even if you marry the emperor's daughter, maybe don't be a jerk. My wife things it is because he is protecting her some how, which could make sense.

The last battle was epic, but felt cut short seemingly like small tidbits of fan service to check off a list. Riding worms, check. Chani's team messing up some Sardaukar, check. Gurny killing Rabban, check. Fin.

I thought the duel in the end was solid. No bending like a reed in the wind here, just full on taking a knife to some vitals.

Another reason it felt odd was that it was hard to root for religious zealots. I am dense, and perhaps it was this was from the start, but I thought the 'Green Paradise' referred to them terraforming Dune with the water they have been collecting. But then the Holy War starts in earnest and the 'Green Paradise' transitions to Heaven(?) instead. This could just mean I am a basic bitch and like a simple revenge story rather than something deeper.

All of this is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, great movie, highly recommended.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Big opening weekend. Performing right near Oppenheimer which did $953m total. Original forecast had Dune Part Two at $550ish million, sure seems like it will blow past that.

Huge numbers in IMAX, Dolby and other premium screen offerings which means it might continue to do beyond expectations as people wait for IMAX showings.

Last edited:

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Huge numbers in IMAX, Dolby and other premium screen offerings which means it might continue to do beyond expectations as people wait for IMAX showings.
Exactly what I'm doing. Me and my cousin tried to get tickets a day in advance and every non complete shit seat was sold for 6pm showing. Gonna just wait for middle of the theatre near the back seats.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Oh, I forgot to say that near the start of the film Chalamets nose tube looked like a Hitler moustache

• 1Garbage