Dune: Part Two (2023)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I try to expose myself to views I don't agree with on a weekly basis by watching the discussion sections of Bill Mahar's show (while skipping all the shitty "comedy" bits). Although, I admit, some of the interviews I've had to turn off/skip, like when he was sucking Pelosi's cock way too hard last year. Mahar also, semi-regularly, has people on that don't agree with him either.

In that regard, I didn't find Tyson insufferable, at least in that clip, and I can tolerate Colbert more than, say Fallon or Trevor Noah, but it certainly wasn't interesting enough to go look at Colbert's Youtube channel. Funny enough, I did find Tyson rather insufferable when he was on Mahar's podcast, as he has drank "The Message" koolaid to where Mahar was even giving him a hard time about it.

Why? You need to give up with this shitty debate club theory of history, which has always only been a way to control discourse and suppress the right.

• 4Like
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 4 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I try to expose myself to views I don't agree with on a weekly basis by watching the discussion sections of Bill Mahar's show (while skipping all the shitty "comedy" bits). Although, I admit, some of the interviews I've had to turn off/skip, like when he was sucking Pelosi's cock way too hard last year. Mahar also, semi-regularly, has people on that don't agree with him either.

In that regard, I didn't find Tyson insufferable, at least in that clip, and I can tolerate Colbert more than, say Fallon or Trevor Noah, but it certainly wasn't interesting enough to go look at Colbert's Youtube channel. Funny enough, I did find Tyson rather insufferable when he was on Mahar's podcast, as he has drank "The Message" koolaid to where Mahar was even giving him a hard time about it.
Could have been that I had watched the other video first, and then it had linked the dune deal. The other videos a lot worse, and then after watching his take on the movie I just had enough.

Doesn't help that faggot hosting him is there as well.

I hear you though and I guess that's why sometimes I'll watch that stuff it's just to get an idea of how and what the other side thinks about. Sometimes it's a complete bedroom mystery why people can have certain opinions on various things and the only way to try to understand that is to listen to him and see what the hell they're talking about. Unfortunately it makes me want to break my goddamn phone at times.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Why? You need to give up with this shitty debate club theory of history, which has always only been a way to control discourse and suppress the right.
Hearing opinions contrary to your own is part of critically thinking about those ideas. Only exposing yourself to ideas you already hold is just mental masturbation to stroke your own ego.

Of course there are limits to what one can handle when presented with extremist views to your own, but being able to temper your own anger in order to keep a rational mind takes practice. In a related and similar way to how patience takes practice.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Hearing opinions contrary to your own is part of critically thinking about those ideas. Only exposing yourself to ideas you already hold is just mental masturbation to stroke your own ego.

Of course there are limits to what one can handle when presented with extremist views to your own, but being able to temper your own anger in order to keep a rational mind takes practice. In a related and similar way to how patience takes practice.
100% agree, but it's getting harder and harder to be patient enough to listen to just insane bullshit that's obviously so slanted from a political perspective. It can be completely batshit insane, but it's preached as gospel. It's obviously not healthy to just constantly immerse yourself in things better going to just create confirmation bias, and ignore anything else, but God damn, it's hard not to want to do that at times.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly I hope the movie makes a billion so we get a third part. Would love to actually see the continuation of the Saga.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Debate only matters among equals. There is no point to listening to so much refuse.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
fish speakers is a bad choice since the men are basically all just consorts, your just a dick with some skin attached. they only exist after God Emperor
fremen suck, you have to wash your ass with sand and the women look like men. fuck trying to ride a worm i'd be drunk and slip and die
sardukar suck, while listening to tibetian throat singing is pretty banging you get wiped out by the jihad
all of the houses suck, as a middie you are basically cannon fodder in wars and you get wiped out by jihad
bene geserit would suck, see fish speakers (breeding stock at best)
guild navigators would be fine if you aren't on any of the freak paths, but staring at a worm dude in a tank would probably fuck with you after a while. maybe they force you to watch tentacle hentai all the time

mentat school isn't too bad except god bans them. blademaster school might be fun. no way tlelaixu, their goals are to create female only societies. ixian would be ok, they sound like they were basically modeled on japan or china. I bet they had tons of anime and sex bots.

i'd personally pick choam, i think they are still sort of around at the time of God, you basically just sit around doing accounting and at night can go home to your hopefully hot wife and talk about whale fur options. once in a while you may get to ride a guild ship and visit other planets and party like its vegas for choam conventions.
The best singular scene in Dune 1. That first throat clear freaks me out for some reason. You don't wanna be Sardaukar, the training death rate is >60% and you can end up as blood for the blood god like in the scene:

There was some debate if those were prisoners of war or failed soldiers, or both.

• 3Like

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Saw today in iMax. Theater was still pretty full - i checked a bunch of times yesterday and today and in all cases the theaters were showing at least 75% filled. That's good for a 3rd movie getting made... however, I look through this with a different lens than i would have even a month ago. This is the kind of shit I used to dream about, seeing good adaptations of our favorite sci fi nerd stories, seeing good theater attendance so that they keep making more of the like.

But with the recent Sora demos, and considering the speed at which AI is progressing... It seems that fans may be able to make the versions they want to see themselves, sooner rather than later. Who knows how it ends up but Hollywood is primed to get disrupted. Anyways..

This was really good - (8/10), not great? The grandeur is obviously bigger than the Sci Fi series, but that attention to background detail which the miniseries form allowed is missed. If one could merge the two together somehow... I hope this is the kind of shit we'll be able to play around with in our retirement, 20 years from now:

"Hey GPT45, make me a 4-part miniseries of Dune Book 1, merging the aesthetics and grandeur of the Villeneuve movies with the story from the books and Sci-Fi miniseries..." You could tweak and tune until you get exactly what you want. My old dream seeing great adaptations made - the new dream is we'll be able to do this shit ourselves to some extent before we know it.

The ending definitely felt rushed, and the decision to not have Alia come out during the movie makes this whole storyline seem rushed. Jessica must have gotten pregnant weeks before the invasion - so we're supposed to believe this whole movie happened in the span of 6 months or so. Paul goes from a guy who has to prove himself worthy of being a Fremen to leading them all in an invasion of Arrakeen + Emperor in a span of about 6 months? Ok.... They should have had a time-dilation break at some point during the movie - fast forward 5 years.

Not only did the ending seem rushed, the throne scene and fight scene lacked the emotional punch for me. Its the culmination of so many plotlines, and to really make any movie great you have to land those moments for me. The Sci Fi series did the throne scene better - obviously it was more true to the book. The way it was done here was not just to save time (by cutting Alia out of the movie entirely aside from the Anna Taylor-Joy foreshadow scene), but likely to appeal to the more general movie goer. Most people that go to see this movie would rather see Paul kill the Baron - its easier for them to understand. But Alia killing the Baron was a good buildup to the Feyd-Paul fight scene. And Chani getting all upset took away from the victory of the fight scene.

In all, just not enough time at 2:45. If they had decided "Fuck it, RoTK clocked in at over 3:20 and won best picture...". With 30 more minutes fewer compromises would have been made and could have been a 9 or 10.

• 2Like

Cybsled

But with the recent Sora demos, and considering the speed at which AI is progressing... It seems that fans may be able to make the versions they want to see themselves, sooner rather than later. Who knows how it ends up but Hollywood is primed to get disrupted. Anyways..

SORA isn't going to be anything impressive for a while - while the demo stuff looked nice (although it had a pretty strong "Nice looking TV demo playing on the TVs at Costco" vibe), it's ultimately just using data fed into it and it will be limited by that. Even if it gets beefed up and has a greater amount of data fed into it with which to generate more varied films, I doubt you're going to see anything impressive for a long time. And if you do, it is going to be studios using it great effect vs. some watered down shit the public will get access to.

• 1Like

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The discussion about the movie you never wanted. Somehow in hell it showed up on my feed, and I watched it like it was a train derailment, and now you can too, if you dare.....

Gotta give Colbert props for Dune knowledge and a Michael Moorcock reference. :emoji_thumbsup:

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Saw this in imax, it was badass overall. The rumbling bass going on for several minutes during the worm scenes was great. The various missile attacks were badass.

Felt rushed at the end, walken was a miscast. Other than that it was a great ride. Wish they added 30-60 minutes to each movie.

• 3Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Wish they added 30-60 minutes to each movie.
1710171495873.jpeg

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Sterling

El Presidente
This was really quite excellent but it's definitely a little short of perfect. Lack of Alia and the end of the final fight both stand out. Also, Chani basically walking away at the end.

I'm glad this is making money and I do hope that he does Messiah. I still feel like you could probably do a decent Children of Dune, but anything past that is probably a bad idea.

• 1Solidarity

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Momoa admitted he was concerned about getting fired from the first movie during filming if he was compared to the other male leads. He knows his chops aren't up to par, but he can't do any better.

He figured there was going to be a day Denis just said alright that's it we need to replace this guy.

It didn't help his role had him opposite of some of the biggest heavyweights in acting.
On the plus side, he makes it make more sense why sex cultists would keep cloning his character

• 1Worf

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
This was really quite excellent but it's definitely a little short of perfect. Lack of Alia and the end of the final fight both stand out. Also, Chani basically walking away at the end.

I'm glad this is making money and I do hope that he does Messiah. I still feel like you could probably do a decent Children of Dune, but anything past that is probably a bad idea.
Let's hope they adapt all the Brian Herbert books next, amirite?!?

• 1Barf

spronk

FPS noob
the bene gesserit tv show is based off one of the son's books so should be interesting

e983h32pkonc1.jpeg

• 6Worf
  • 1Let's Go
Reactions: 6 users