Dungeons & Dragons (2022)

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I mean current era WOTC has removed "races" from their game in favor of "species", and tied themselves in to knots because orcs were too similar to black people or something

Dark elves are never happening

Nester

Vyemm Raider
This was a lot more fun than I expected. Pine was great, I loved the Jonathan scene.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
This was pretty weak. Just felt like a written-by-committee mediocre fantasy Marvel movie. Speak with the Dead, big chungus dragon, and the glitched bard illusion were only things that got a laugh. the 91/93 on RT must be solely because of how shitty every other D&D movie has been by comparison.

• 1Edgelord
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
They are called dark elves because they live in the dark, not their skin color. Just like wood elves live in the woods, not because they are wood colored.

Wizards also changed (added? Reconned?) Drow lore to add an entire sub category of good Drow that don't worship lolth. Unfortunately, woke people can't differentiate between people who are wearing blackface as an overt attempt to offend others, and wearing make-up to emulate a fantasy race that has zero in common with African Americans.

There's a bunch of pretty cool Drow stories but you can only tell them in books are live play games that have no chance of being portrayed in live action

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This was better than I thought, I hate shitty cgi these days especially Marvel lately but it worked in this.
They also had some decent practical effects

Sevens

Log Wizard
Dark elves are problematic now? They're fuckin' purple!

Anyway, I watched the 2000 D&D movie and it was pretty awful, but kind of entertaining at the same time in that I couldn't look away from it.

Took a look at the two sequels which were direct to DVD. It seems like each one significantly improved on the one before it in story, while losing some of the over-the-top craziness that made the first entertaining. So basically the first is the most entertaining, but also the worst movie. Just a total car crash. Then the third is the second most entertaining because it's actually a good movie, so it's at the other end of the entertaining spectrum. Then the second one is just kind of there, not as good as the third and not as entertainingly awful as the first. It seems pretty bland. 1 and 3 are worth checking out though, for different reasons.

This is the episode that picture of Chang was from.

Cybsled

WoTC doesn't like elements that involve genocide, slavery, etc.

Even if you make the elves all purple, they're still evil for the most part (traditionally anyways) and enslave/sacrifice other races. Some unpaid intern at Vox will then write some article about how they are racist, etc etc and Twitter will explode.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They also had some decent practical effects
The one thing that really stood out to me was how TERRIBLE the more exotic races looked compared to how good everything else in the movie looked. The Aarakocra looked okayish, I guess they spent more time on that since it was an important part of the beginning, but the cat people (Tabaxi?) looked awful and there was a lizardman-looking dude that I honestly had no idea what the fuck it was supposed to be until I got online later and saw someone mention Dragonborn and realized that's what it was supposed to be.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
The one thing that really stood out to me was how TERRIBLE the more exotic races looked compared to how good everything else in the movie looked. The Aarakocra looked okayish, I guess they spent more time on that since it was an important part of the beginning, but the cat people (Tabaxi?) looked awful and there was a lizardman-looking dude that I honestly had no idea what the fuck it was supposed to be until I got online later and saw someone mention Dragonborn and realized that's what it was supposed to be.
I have never heard of Dragonborn. I thought it was a deep cut Saurial. Like the one introduced in Curse of the Azure Bonds.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have never heard of Dragonborn. I thought it was a deep cut Saurial. Like the one introduced in Curse of the Azure Bonds.
They were introduced in 3.5 splatbooks, then became a core race in 4E. Draconians were sort of retroactively declared to be the Dragonborn of the Dragonlance setting.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
They were introduced in 3.5 splatbooks, then became a core race in 4E. Draconians were sort of retroactively declared to be the Dragonborn of the Dragonlance setting.
Yeah most of my D&D knowledge is based in AD&D and 2nd edition. My group didn't really want to transition to 3rd. All my other knowledge of newer stuff is from video games.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I mean current era WOTC has removed "races" from their game in favor of "species", and tied themselves in to knots because orcs were too similar to black people or something

Dark elves are never happening
Strictly speaking, 'races' was always a mistake in terminology. They're clearly different species, some of which can interbreed to form hybrids.

Sevens

Log Wizard
100% agree, the Tabaxi and Dragonborn looked Chuck E Cheese level of animatronics bad

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
That's a real shame, you missed the single biggest revival in the history of tabletop gaming.
3ed. Came out at the waning years of my pen and paper days. I haven't played tabletop since the early 2000's, and I think 3ed. came out in like 2000? Also the thought of paying like 50% more for every new book was bullshit at the time.