Dungeons & Dragons (2022)

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Looks like it might have a better than expected start, unless the D&D die hards really came out in force for previews. Still has way too big a budget.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Movie was pretty good. Hit the right spots of humor but let the characters breathe enough with serious moments.

I'm not normally one to rail against wokeness, but:

I will say it was jarring because it feels like they picked up a random black woman and random mixed race girl out of a crowd. Everyone else felt charismatic and had personal magnetism.

If I'm going to be force fed diversity, at least give me a black woman with a killer body and a pretty face.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
a black woman with a killer body and a pretty face
1680354685617.png

• 6Worf
  • 1EyeRoll
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Yeah Michelle Rodriguez’s character would have been a lot better as a badass dude but whatever.

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
Went with our group of 6 players and nobody walked out afterwards hating it. The movie buys itself some grace, because who is going to hate on something that doesn’t take itself that seriously?

Somewhere around 7 out of 10, no higher though. Some things I wish they depicted better but some cool Easter eggs for those who play and a few decent laughs. Places, beasts and spells of note (not so much abilities though)

Chris Pine brings the charisma needed, Hugh Grant is a smarmy prick as expected and Michelle Rodriguez is the closest to likeable she’s ever been. Something 10 fast and furious movies couldn’t even do. The others are tolerable and I liked that they all had moments that were at their expense.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Movie was pretty good. Hit the right spots of humor but let the characters breathe enough with serious moments.

I'm not normally one to rail against wokeness, but:

I will say it was jarring because it feels like they picked up a random black woman and random mixed race girl out of a crowd. Everyone else felt charismatic and had personal magnetism.

If I'm going to be force fed diversity, at least give me a black woman with a killer body and a pretty face.

What black woman I think I missed that part. The dead wife who has 3 line?

fris

Vyemm Raider
Gina would have been good to, but Michelle was ok

Fun movie, as someone above said, that doesn't take itself seriously. I enjoyed it and the Easter eggs. My boys enjoyed it probably more than me

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Saw this today and thought it was fine. It was a fun watch and had some good laughs. Was cool to see all the Easter eggs and things from the D&D world. I doubt I’ll ever watch it again. Will be interesting to see if it gets a sequel.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Fun movie. Just the right amount of entertaining dumbassery for a DnD party led by a bard.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
maybe i was just really tired, but simon's "major image" made me laugh out loud. every other joke in the movie didn't get anymore than a slight smile but major image REALLY got me

• 1Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
7 out of 10 for me
Good fun, good story, good acting, great fight scenes and some pretty funny moments (the deer conversation and call backs were hilarious).
The effects were all over the place...The fat dragon was cool as hell but then the npcs that were of other races (Dragonborn, Aarakoca and Tabaxi) were Chuc E. Cheese level bad
And I want a movie with the Paladin Xenk as the main protagonist, he was awesome.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Elminster Omar was probably the only thing that got a real laugh out of me with some chuckles at some of the other stuff. Thought Chris Pine was the best actor and carried the humor, the rest fell short. Story premise was pretty Thay for sure but the avengers beat down at the end was cringe as fuck. Also lulz at how easy she was beat. Also Evermoores/Nesme and no trolls? WTF man.

They should have let Neverwinter become infested with undead and set the lore going forward in Forgotten Realms around that and expanded a sequel with that.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Elminster Omar was probably the only thing that got a real laugh out of me with some chuckles at some of the other stuff. Thought Chris Pine was the best actor and carried the humor, the rest fell short. Story premise was pretty Thay for sure but the avengers beat down at the end was cringe as fuck. Also lulz at how easy she was beat. Also Evermoores/Nesme and no trolls? WTF man.

They should have let Neverwinter become infested with undead and set the lore going forward in Forgotten Realms around that and expanded a sequel with that.
Honestly I'd love that. Though it's tricky... On one hand it's kind of refreshing to have a movie come out that DOESNT try to sequel bait the audience and has a completely self-contained story, on the other hand I love when people have the balls to break their own toys.

My DM does that all the time. He wrote a book (never released, just did it in his own spare time over a decade or so for his own enjoyment) and ended up basing our DND world on the world he created for his book. We've had 3 campaigns in that world and the culmination of our second campaign literally demolished half the continents. So our current (3rd campaign) had us all in places that we as players are familiar with, but they are all broken and messed up. It's REALLY fun going to a place where we as players get to rediscover what it means to live there.

• 1Like

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I'm not sure she was "easy to beat". That fight was numerous rounds of combat and they're all very high level. They also cheese'd her which does happen in D&D.

Last edited:

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Overall a 7/10 for me. My theatre was almost full. Good sign.

I REALLY wish they would make a D&D movie with less humor. I LOVED the homage they did to D&D over the years. Hell they even had a throwback to the cartoon!

I thought Michelle Rodriguez was funny in a couple of her lines. Speaking of Michelle Rodriguez, she played her role well. I actually liked her! Pretty well cast.

The Hulk beatdown I thought was pretty funny for the obvious rip, and the length of time.

They absolutely should have did something with Neverwinter like you said. Would have easily set up the next movie.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
How the fuck does Michelle Rodriguez keep getting work

• 3Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users