Dungeons & Dragons (2022)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm not 12 anymore; I need more than braindead action to get me to sit though a movie or TV show these days. Plenty of other things to do with my time. Like play braindead games, such as WoW or Diablo.

I can still enjoy a heavy action movie or TV show, but it needs smarter spy shit like Borne or some historical twist like Spartacus:B&S.
Get your something checked, the first one is an absolute masterpiece and nobody in their right mind would describe it as "braindead action". The Baba Yaga sequence is one of the best character setups in the history of cinema, if not the best, and the closest thing to action it has is someone taking a sledge to a concrete floor.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Get your something checked, the first one is an absolute masterpiece and nobody in their right mind would describe it as "braindead action". The Baba Yaga sequence is one of the best character setups in the history of cinema, if not the best, and the closest thing to action it has is someone taking a sledge to a concrete floor.
*shrug* Maybe I was just tired the night I tried to watch it. What I remember is a bunch of guys try to kill him, end up shooting his dog, then then has to go kill them all or some such. There was a car chase that I fell asleep during and that's it from memory. Didn't leave an impression that I should give it a second chance, other than a bunch of people love it, but a bunch of people also love the first Capt. America movie and I fell asleep during it, as well.

• 1Cringe
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
*shrug* Maybe I was just tired the night I tried to watch it. What I remember is a bunch of guys try to kill him, end up shooting his dog, then then has to go kill them all or some such. There was a car chase that I fell asleep during and that's it from memory. Didn't leave an impression that I should give it a second chance, other than a bunch of people love it, but a bunch of people also love the first Capt. America movie and I fell asleep during it, as well.
You remember less than 10 minutes of the movie, you might as well have never watched it. And this shit is nothing like the first Captain America, it's widely regarded as being among the best action movies ever made.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

You remember less than 10 minutes of the movie, you might as well have never watched it. And this shit is nothing like the first Captain America, it's widely regarded as being among the best action movies ever made.
I may have made it deeper into the movie, but that's all I remember from it. Reading reviews on IMDB: simple plot, braindead action, non-stop action, not original, innovative, or stylish, a weak story...and those are from the people who rated it 7 or higher.

I have seen plenty of movies like that in my childhood that I fondly remember, and can go rewatch, if I really want to. I don't need to see another.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I may have made it deeper into the movie, but that's all I remember from it. Reading reviews on IMDB: simple plot, braindead action, non-stop action, not original, innovative, or stylish, a weak story...and those are from the people who rated it 7 or higher.

I have seen plenty of movies like that in my childhood that I fondly remember, and can go rewatch, if I really want to. I don't need to see another.
So you went cherrypicking on IMDB for reviews that support you not wanting to watch it again? Why don't you go browse the thread on the forum you're already on where it consists of multiple pages of people raving about how good it is? (and one dude negfarming)

What part of "The Baba Yaga sequence is one of the best character setups in the history of cinema, if not the best" didn't register? Did you think it was hyperbole when I said it's widely regarded as one of the best action movies ever made? If you polled the forum I'm guessing 99% would have John Wick in their top 10 and a sizable portion of would even rate it top 5.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
john wick is good, but lets look at it for what it is. a simple excuse for an ex-assassin to re-enter the game. that being said i wouldn't call it braindead and i wouldn't call it not original or innovative. it very much re-invented the wheel with action scenes. it was also extremely stylish. the story is straightforward, but that doesn't make it weak.

• 1Like

Burns

So you went cherrypicking on IMDB for reviews that support you not wanting to watch it again? Why don't you go browse the thread on the forum you're already on where it consists of multiple pages of people raving about how good it is? (and one dude negfarming)

What part of "The Baba Yaga sequence is one of the best character setups in the history of cinema, if not the best" didn't register? Did you think it was hyperbole when I said it's widely regarded as one of the best action movies ever made? If you polled the forum I'm guessing 99% would have John Wick in their top 10 and a sizable portion of would even rate it top 5.
One would need to know what "The Baby Yaga sequence" is, in order for it to mean anything. I mean, you made it more likely that maybe I'll give it another watch, someday, but another part of it is that American style modern shootem ups remind of shitty Michael Bay films; which is a very hard hurdle for me to overcome (which is probably the underlying issue with disliking this and others like Taken, Banshee, 24, RED, etc.).

Also, this forum dog piles on dissenting opinions, so why would anyone stick around a thread of a movie they don't like (unless there are memes/dogpiling on how bad it is). 99% of the forum loves Elden Ring, and I got maybe 30 hours out of it before loosing interest. I don't care about the game, so I stopped reading that thread.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
One would need to know what "The Baby Yaga sequence" is, in order for it to mean anything. I mean, you made it more likely that maybe I'll give it another watch, someday, but another part of it is that American style modern shootem ups remind of shitty Michael Bay films; which is a very hard hurdle for me to overcome (which is probably the underlying issue with disliking this and others like Taken, Banshee, 24, RED, etc.)
John Wick is basically the modern version of the John Woo Gun-Fu movies like Hard Boiled.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
John Wick is basically the modern version of the John Woo Gun-Fu movies like Hard Boiled.
The directors are a pair of veteran stuntmen too, which is why all the action scenes come together so perfectly.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Seems like you're going out of your way to not like a movie you didn't even see. Edgelording just to edgelord.

Not innovative or stylish? lol what-fucking-ever

Burns

Seems like you're going out of your way to not like a movie you didn't even see. Edgelording just to edgelord.

Not innovative or stylish? lol what-fucking-ever
The Fallout 3 argument of you cant dislike the game unless you played X amount of hours, just play it a little bit more and I promise you will like it! 20 hours? Psh, well you can get 120 hours out of it! So you cant make up your mind until then!

Its a 90 min movie, how long do I need to watch it, before I can say I don't like the action of most modern setting movies and what ever gun fu is? I don't watch Kung Fu movies, or like any of the Chinese dance fighting bullshit. How many Jackie Chan movies do I need to watch before I can say I don't like Jackie Chan movies?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Fallout 3 argument of you cant dislike the game unless you played X amount of hours, just play it a little bit more and I promise you will like it! 20 hours? Psh, well you can get 120 hours out of it! So you cant make up your mind until then!

Its a 90 min movie, how long do I need to watch it, before I can say I don't like the action of most modern setting movies and what ever gun fu is? I don't watch Kung Fu movies, or like any of the Chinese dance fighting bullshit. How many Jackie Chan movies do I need to watch before I can say I don't like Jackie Chan movies?
This might work better as a counter-argument if you hadn't already admitted to not watching the movie.

Burns

This might work better as a counter-argument if you hadn't already admitted to not watching the movie.
Wat, I watched the first 10 to 20 minutes before falling asleep. Do you normally remember every part of media you are disinterested in? The nice old car Wick was was driving is the last thing I remembered. Hence the "how long do I need to watch before I can say I don't like it?"

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wat, I watched the first 10 to 20 minutes before falling asleep. Do you normally remember every part of media you are disinterested in? The nice old car was the last thing I remembered. Hence the "how long do I need to watch before I can say I don't like it?"
Oh my mistake I guess you are right and the entire rest of the world is wrong about John Wick because you picked a sleep deprived night to try watching it.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Wat, I watched the first 10 to 20 minutes before falling asleep. Do you normally remember every part of media you are disinterested in? The nice old car was the last thing I remembered. Hence the "how long do I need to watch before I can say I don't like it?"

Longer than 10 fucking minutes, Jesus Christ.

You seem to have some weird thing where not liking John Wick is some badge of honor and you really really don't want to like it. The shit you "remember" isn't even shit that happened. They didn't try to kill him, nobody shot his dog, he doesn't go to "kill them all", and the "car chase" is at the end of the movie.

I'm starting to doubt you even saw the first 10 minutes

Burns

Oh my mistake I guess you are right and the entire rest of the world is wrong about John Wick because you picked a sleep deprived night to try watching it.
Your the one asking why I don't like it; I never said anyone is wrong to like it. Furthermore, it only has a 7.3 on IMDB, which isn't great or terrible, so it's hardly the whole world that loves that movie.

Burns

Longer than 10 fucking minutes, Jesus Christ.

You seem to have some weird thing where not liking John Wick is some badge of honor and you really really don't want to like it. The shit you "remember" isn't even shit that happened. They didn't try to kill him, nobody shot his dog, he doesn't go to "kill them all", and the "car chase" is at the end of the movie.

I'm starting to doubt you even saw the first 10 minutes
Well your posts are certainly making me not want to watch it again. Your shitty replies generally warrant over the top responses, so here we are.

Most of it has been just replying to Gavin. It was almost 10 years ago, and I did not seemingly find it interesting enough to commit much of it to memory. Maybe I woke up during the car chase at the end. I should have wanted to like the movie since I like many Keanu movies and was a huge GoT fan at the time, but that genre, in general, doesn't do t for me, I guess.

Looking over the screens of it, some of it looks familiar, some doesn't.

Hell, I hate the first Dungeons and Dragons movie with a passion. I sat wide awake, determined to make it to the end, because I paid for the theater ticket and I don't remember much of anything that happened in that movie.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Your the one asking why I don't like it; I never said anyone is wrong to like it. Furthermore, it only has a 7.3 on IMDB, which isn't great or terrible, so it's hardly the whole world that loves that movie.
Dredd is a 7.1. Fury Road is an 8.2. The Raid is a 7.6. Fast Five is a 7.3. Rogue Nation is a 7.4. Five more of the best action movies of that decade, all with similar scores except Fury Road.

Or you could just do a search for 'best action movies of all time' and see John Wick near the top of every single list you click on. So yes, literally the whole world thinks John Wick is one of the best action movies ever made.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Well your posts are certainly making me not want to watch it again. Your shitty replies generally warrant over the top responses, so here we are.

Most of it has been just replying to Gavin. It was almost 10 years ago, and I did not seemingly find it interesting enough to commit much of it to memory. Maybe I woke up during the car chase at the end. I should have wanted to like the movie since I like many Keanu movies and was a huge GoT fan at the time, but that genre, in general, doesn't do t for me, I guess.

Looking over the screens of it, some of it looks familiar, some doesn't.

Hell, I hate the first Dungeons and Dragons movie with a passion. I sat wide awake, determined to make it to the end, because I paid for the theater ticket and I don't remember much of anything that happened in that movie.

Not sure if you think I worked on the movie and get some sort of profit sharing, but you not seeing it doesn't really affect me.

It's just odd how dead set on not liking a movie you've never seen and then coming up with bizarre reasons to justify it.

Burns

Dredd is a 7.1. Fury Road is an 8.2. The Raid is a 7.6. Fast Five is a 7.3. Rogue Nation is a 7.4. Five more of the best action movies of that decade, all with similar scores except Fury Road.

Or you could just do a search for 'best action movies of all time' and see John Wick near the top of every single list you click on. So yes, literally the whole world thinks John Wick is one of the best action movies ever made.
..and, as movies go, it's not great and not terrible. I never put any "action" qualifier in there. I also said, originally, that I fell asleep, a.k.a. I must have found it uninteresting, but not Expendables bad.

Of those movies you listed, I have seen Dredd and Fury Road. Dread was ok, but I don't have any itch to watch it a second time and Fury Road was great. Did I mention that I don't really like modern setting action movies? I was going to say I just don't like action movies in general anymore, but I looked up action movies/TV from 2010 to 2020 and found enough I liked (True Grit, Mad Max, Looper, Edge of Tomorrow, Oblivion, Deadpool, Peacemaker).

Last edited: