Dwarf Fortress

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
Version 0.40.01 of the most amazing game ever is now out. Plenty of changes, although mostly to adventure mode, most of them undocumented. Also for the three of you that play this game but do not follow it, recent headways have been made on the mod side, including a mod that shows many layers at the same time, another that differentiates between text size and image size. Also we're very close to be able to play the game in stonesense (3d mod).

If you choose to try this newest, bugged to hell (thus hilarious) release,God help you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Every time I open a Dwarf Fortress thread, I am disappointed to find that I still can't play it due to the interface. One of these days I will open it and be confronted with a glorious, glorious 3D pic that makes it at least vaguely resemble Evil Genius or Gnomoria! With a mouse interface and not some mystical key press combination that only a select few ever took the time to master.

Until then, I am disappoint
frown.png

StJesuz

Graybeard Lurker
I've been waiting for this game to be finished before I start playing again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
Aye it will never be finished. That's part of the fun though. Really enjoyed that review!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Didn't see this coming

The reasoning from their patreon:

We don't talk about this much, but for many years, Zach has been on expensive medication, which has fortunately been covered by his healthcare. It's a source of constant concern, as the plan has changed a few times and as the political environment has shifted. We have other family health risks, and as we get older, the precariousness of our situation increases; after Zach's latest cancer scare, we determined that with my healthcare plan's copay etc., I'd be wiped out if I had to undergo the same procedures. That said, crowdfunding is by far our main source of income and the reason we're still here. Your support is still crucial, as the Steam release may or may not bring us the added stability we're seeking now and it's some months away.

• 2Like

StJesuz

Graybeard Lurker
Didn't see this coming

The reasoning from their patreon:
Hype is real!
ss_94ed0dcdcfab1c78fe867f9fed30514ff4459a49.jpg

edit:
I looked into this a little bit today and I thought I'd share a few things that I learned.
They are expanding the team and hiring a few guys that have been longtime modders for DF to work on the new graphics, previewed above, as well as someone to add sounds.
It seems like there is a lot of work to do before they can get the announced features ready for a Steam release, I'm thinking on the order of a year.
Probably adding Steam centric things such as trading cards, possibly achievements as well as supporting workshop integration for ease of modding.
They are planning to sell it for $20.
I don't know much about the publisher they picked, Kitfox but they have a discord and they have a few other indie titles on Steam.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 5 users

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
After spending way too much time in Gnomeria and Rimworld(and i mean way too much time) because i just couldnt get into Dwarf fortress ascii style this is giving me a definite woody.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
There's many well-made tilesets you can use right now with easy setup via lazy newb pack

Utility:Lazy Newb Pack - Dwarf Fortress Wiki
I actually tried to get into it a few times because this game type appeals to me, i also tried to find a decent tileset to make it easier on the eyes but the ascii look in combination with control scheme that requires 2 years of experience were a serious barrier.
I would just fall back to Minecraft or Gnomeria or Rimworld to scratch that particular itch after a few hours of dicking around in DF.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I actually tried to get into it a few times because this game type appeals to me, i also tried to find a decent tileset to make it easier on the eyes but the ascii look in combination with control scheme that requires 2 years of experience were a serious barrier.
I would just fall back to Minecraft or Gnomeria or Rimworld to scratch that particular itch after a few hours of dicking around in DF.

Yeah, it's not for everyone. Any Steam version is unlikely to be different though. It will probably just be the same idea as a pack.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, it's not for everyone. Any Steam version is unlikely to be different though. It will probably just be the same idea as a pack.
Last time i tried the lazy newb pack was probably about a year or more ago, maybe i should try to dig into it again.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Last time i tried the lazy newb pack was probably about a year or more ago, maybe i should try to dig into it again.

My experience with the game is limited (I watch more than I play) but I remember PeriedexisErrant's being the better one. Might have changed since then.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Man I haven’t scratched this itch in a while. Definitely throwing money at them as soon as it’s available. Probably play around with it some tonight. Can’t imagine how many new features and shit there are since I last played. Will have to see if Captain Duck made some updated videos for it. Those things are relaxing as fuck to listen to if you never checked out his tutorials before.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
This guy does some really great DF let's plays. Does a lot of custom artwork for the videos based on what's happening as well

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Steam blog post update.

• 2Like