Dwarf Fortress

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I think I tried this game like a decade ago and the learning curve was insane, pretty sure I bounced off it after a few hours. This one any more approachable?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'm watchin giantwaffle. Seems exactly like the base game mechanically, just graphics.

I am like the previous pages, I'd be more inclined to give them money if they were less political. Just workwise they really deserve success.

• 1Like

Witless

Trakanon Raider
Anyone know of a good streamer who isn’t playing just for release? Trying to find someone knowledgeable and not as spastic so I can get a good idea of all the mechanics. Most of the big names or my normal streamers are still trying to figure out the UI commands for the most part.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Anyone know of a good streamer who isn’t playing just for release? Trying to find someone knowledgeable and not as spastic so I can get a good idea of all the mechanics. Most of the big names or my normal streamers are still trying to figure out the UI commands for the most part.
When I was quickly looking into it, I found this guy on youtube, he has classic dwarf fortress videos on it and made a bunch of videos about premium release and is streaming on twitch too
Don't know how good he is but he had beta access or whatever because he already has like a dozen of tutorials for new players on his youtube channel.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Was hoping Captain Duck would do another tutorial series, but haven’t seen anything out of him yet on the Steam version.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I'm watchin giantwaffle. Seems exactly like the base game mechanically, just graphics.

I am like the previous pages, I'd be more inclined to give them money if they were less political. Just workwise they really deserve success.

Because they supported a cause you didn't like in 2020 ? I mean you can spend your money however you like, but that seems bizarrely out of proportion.

• 3Pathetic
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 3 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Because they supported a cause you didn't like in 2020 ? I mean you can spend your money however you like, but that seems bizarrely out of proportion.
Loop Trump GIF

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
No it's more about mixing the two. Political stuff, religion, these are things best kept to yourself.

True in sports, business, games, whatever. I'm there for a car race, or a game or to buy a foozle. Leave lofty opinions to the wise and focus on the art.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Is this going to run on an old laptop? Worried about system requirements on Steam. It did run DF like 5 years ago.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
At this point, I have purchased the game via Steam just to support the authors. My biggest concern is the fact that Dwarf Therapist and the command line shell (forget its name off the top of my head) that runs in the background when using the lazy noob pack are so essential to playing the game. I'm not sure how the Steam version could be playable if you do not have those tools. I only fired it up long enough to try creating a world and then look for an embark location and then turned it off.

If anyone is at all interested in the lazy noob pack and playing the original, there was an awesome tutorial series from a guy call 5ippycup. If you find his rather old youtube vids, they were probably some of the best imho. There are of course a bunch of changes since the version his tutorial is on, but he does teach the basic gameplay really well.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Is this going to run on an old laptop? Worried about system requirements on Steam. It did run DF like 5 years ago.

The stream I watched it took like 6 mins to save the game. He then restarted the game and it took about as long to load it back up. I assume his map was massive but that reminded me of Civ games where computers turn took like 10 mins late game and ai would never finish.

Chris

Potato del Grande
At this point, I have purchased the game via Steam just to support the authors. My biggest concern is the fact that Dwarf Therapist and the command line shell (forget its name off the top of my head) that runs in the background when using the lazy noob pack are so essential to playing the game. I'm not sure how the Steam version could be playable if you do not have those tools. I only fired it up long enough to try creating a world and then look for an embark location and then turned it off.

If anyone is at all interested in the lazy noob pack and playing the original, there was an awesome tutorial series from a guy call 5ippycup. If you find his rather old youtube vids, they were probably some of the best imho. There are of course a bunch of changes since the version his tutorial is on, but he does teach the basic gameplay really well.
Dwarf Therapist stuff is baked into the main game now right? That was half of the point of the steam upgrade.

The stream I watched it took like 6 mins to save the game. He then restarted the game and it took about as long to load it back up. I assume his map was massive but that reminded me of Civ games where computers turn took like 10 mins late game and ai would never finish.
Thanks, gonna have to check the reqs carefully then.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, dislike my approach all you want, but when this thread first started I would have paid full price for this release. After seeing that bullshit in 2020 I took it off my wishlist. Being an outspoken dickhead that thinks they are virtue signaling to a specific crowd comes with the possibility that those you aren't pandering to are going to decide not to support you with their wallet. In the meantime, while they masturbated to their own genius, dozens of DF clones that might actually be more fun to play (no idea, I never actually played more than a few minutes of DF back in the day because it was so unintuitive that I just didn't care enough to even try) were released, and now I don't really give a shit. If I ever buy this, it will be for under $5. Otherwise I'll just fire up Rimworld or one of the numerous clones.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Goonsquad Officer
I'll definitely try thr steam version. I haven't touched it in years but its still on my desk top. I bet my muscle memory remembers how to play better than my actual memory

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Would have been excited for this, but I can’t help but remember some dumb tweet or whatever from years ago that was along the lines of if you don’t vote for Hillary, fuck off and don’t play our game. Bit of a turn off. Still tempting though…

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Moonmoon had the music on and turned up, and it is really nice. Everyone else had it off or so low I couldn't hear it. They took the theme of the original (that got old fast) and expanded on it nicely.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Game works mostly fine on old laptop, had a crash so need to save more often but that's nothing new.

Anyone got any good embark strats for skills/items?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Game works mostly fine on old laptop, had a crash so need to save more often but that's nothing new.

Anyone got any good embark strats for skills/items?
Ya need lots of booze and pickaxes. That’s it. Guess I’ll pick this up. Not gonna avoid a game cause their makers had a retarded ass take on something. Now if they went full Disney and pushed degeneration on kids I’d nope out. Does it work on steam deck?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Ya need lots of booze and pickaxes. That’s it. Guess I’ll pick this up. Not gonna avoid a game cause their makers had a retarded ass take on something. Now if they went full Disney and pushed degeneration on kids I’d nope out. Does it work on steam deck?
No idea but I think you'd go insane playing this without a mouse.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
seems like something I will get into, will report back once I put some time in.

• 1Like