Dying Light 2

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I have 25 of the next 30 traveling so can't even play at the moment so hopefully they patch it up solidly by that time.

Ha, I don't miss those days at all. I thought being away from family at a hotel was going to be all relaxing and meals out. It turned out to be working late, getting fast food or take out, and spending too much time in airports.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ive been watching that Gladd stream for hours now and he only had one crash in like 12 hrs so far. Rest of the shit is smooth. 120 fps smooth. And no bugs that I can see.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
No major issues after 4-5 hours on Series X, but there is a fuck ton of artifacting in the first area you start in. Fortunately it gets better (but still happens) once you're in the city. I'm on 1.02 right now, which I don't think is the day one patch.

Narth

<Donor>

1st comment:
"So in the IGN review we're told the decisions mean next to nothing in game. 24 hours later IGN review says the decisions drastically affect the game. So who's lying"

What a shit show......

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Ha, I don't miss those days at all. I thought being away from family at a hotel was going to be all relaxing and meals out. It turned out to be working late, getting fast food or take out, and spending too much time in airports.

I love it and hope this is a return to the normal after the last two years of homebound boredom. Since I've been remote forever I mostly just go on site for "important" meetings and since it's in a multinational I would just tack on days to wherever I ended up for extended paid vacations. Was doing 125-150 days a year pre covid between work and personal for over a decade now and even before this job I would travel around 2-3 months a year for fun as gf and I are a DINK couple.

Last edited:

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I love it and hope this is a return to the normal after the last two years of homebound boredom. Since I've been remote forever I mostly I just go on site for "important" meetings and since it's in a multinational I would just tack on days to wherever I ended up for extended paid vacations. Was doing 125-150 days a year pre covid between work and personal for over a decade now and even before this job I would travel around 2-3 months a year for fun as gf and I are a DINK couple.

I found the difference!

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
"So in the IGN review we're told the decisions mean next to nothing in game. 24 hours later IGN review says the decisions drastically affect the game. So who's lying"

What a shit show......
I think we all know the decisions will mean next to nothing, as they inevitably do.

• 1Edgelord

Fucker

Log Wizard

1st comment:

What a shit show......
Check must have cleared.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
OK so the stamina thing is fucking lame, will feel like it should once it is maxed out but early game it just feels bad. Few times now I have died because I the "safe zone" is up too high for my stamina/parkour level. That is just bad design.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Graphics and parkour are pulling big ratings although some of the rodents are angry.

1643953678263.png

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Plays great and looks great in performance mode ps5.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Writing seems even worse than the first one, and the awful story was noteworthy for being so bad in the original. Hopefully it's just the 'tutorial' section and they put more effort in going forward.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I like it so far. PS5 - Performance mode still looks fantastic. Not too deep in the story but the story was garbage in Dying Light 1 as well. Parkour seems fine so far but as with Days Gone, I question abilities based on map design or gameplay behind a skill lock. I'll see if that bugs me later. So far though I am having an easier time with weapon breakage and there is definitely more to find with regards to ingredients. Armor to finally level up and gather/create. Coop will always be fun with buddies regardless of if you are playing the shittiest game in the world or not. Survival aspects seem on point and there is still the dread and anxious fear when the sun goes down - coupled now with making sure you get to ultraviolet light sources before you turn.

Overall though I have no complaints. Gator Gator and I won't be able to play Coop sounds like this weekend but hey I am free Sunday if you can make it by then.

Cannot speak to other platforms but I am very happy with performance mode and graphical quality on PS5. I tried the other modes, 30 FPS just bogs it down. Next gen I would look forward to 4k60 with ray tracing instead of being forced to choose 30 FPS.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Liking it less and less the more I play it. Everything feels like a step down from the state Dying Light is in now.

The revised weapon system is like playing Breath of the Wild again, mostly because they absolutely gutted the crafting system for the sequel. Far as I can tell you can't craft weapons at all, so you're completely at the mercy of whatever you happen to find (or get desperate enough to spend your very limited currency on). You can't even repair them once either, let alone multiple times like in the first game. Mods are gimped to hell too, since 1) most weapons don't even have mod slots, 2) the ones that do generally only have shaft and tip slots, and 3) only the grip slot is actually of much value, and so far I've only seen it on the DLC weapons (more on those in a second). It's possible 'artifact' tier weapons have a grip slot too, but I've never had one drop or seen one for sale. DLC weapons are supposed to scale with your level and be re-buyable every 90 minutes or so, but that doesn't actually seem to work for most people (definitely does not work for me on Series X). Even if it did work, having the only reliable source of good weapons be from preorder and deluxe edition DLC is fucking bullshit anyway. Oh, and the reason only having shaft/tip slots sucks is because those mods now only proc on crits and crits seem like the typical 5% or so base chance and so far I've seen no way to increase it. Waste of mats imo. Grip is great though. It's a flat +4 dmg increase, which increases to 8, 12, 16, etc. as you continue to upgrade it... making those DLC weapons which already scale with your level extremely powerful if you just place a cheap mod on them. Except, you know, that the stash->extras re-buy doesn't actually work.

They've completely flipped the day/night bias around. It's basically pointless to play the game during daytime now; you might as well just sleep til dusk every time the sun comes up. For some reason they thought it would be a good idea to fill every indoor area with volatiles all day long, but just have generic 'sleeping' zombies and virals in there at night which are completely trivial to avoid/stealth takedown. Infection is a problem, but if you hoard your shrooms and advance the story to the point where you can craft Immunity Boosters you should be able to clear out just about any of the indoor spots. The biggest risk is getting caught inside when dawn hits, because suddenly all the dumb zombies despawn and the place is crawling with volatiles. The only things worth doing during the day are windmills and clearing out convoys.

Progression feels super slow too. Despite playing all day yesterday I'm still only a little bit into rank 2 and parkour is frustrating because I still have so many things to unlock. And I don't like feeling like I *must* put all my inhibitors into stamina because windmills are designed so that you need X amount of stamina to be able to climb to the top.

Don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other on the choice system yet. I've been trying to stay on the fence to see how far you can push it before you have to make a permanent decision. Mostly because ACG was talking about how one faction will build a bunch of handy parkour assistance stuff if you give them control while the other places weaponry and stuff around the zone. I'm pretty sure I want the parkour stuff, but I'm not 100% on that, and also I don't know which group is which bonuses yet.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Liking it less and less the more I play it. Everything feels like a step down from the state Dying Light is in now.

The revised weapon system is like playing Breath of the Wild again, mostly because they absolutely gutted the crafting system for the sequel. Far as I can tell you can't craft weapons at all, so you're completely at the mercy of whatever you happen to find (or get desperate enough to spend your very limited currency on). You can't even repair them once either, let alone multiple times like in the first game. Mods are gimped to hell too, since 1) most weapons don't even have mod slots, 2) the ones that do generally only have shaft and tip slots, and 3) only the grip slot is actually of much value, and so far I've only seen it on the DLC weapons (more on those in a second). It's possible 'artifact' tier weapons have a grip slot too, but I've never had one drop or seen one for sale. DLC weapons are supposed to scale with your level and be re-buyable every 90 minutes or so, but that doesn't actually seem to work for most people (definitely does not work for me on Series X). Even if it did work, having the only reliable source of good weapons be from preorder and deluxe edition DLC is fucking bullshit anyway. Oh, and the reason only having shaft/tip slots sucks is because those mods now only proc on crits and crits seem like the typical 5% or so base chance and so far I've seen no way to increase it. Waste of mats imo. Grip is great though. It's a flat +4 dmg increase, which increases to 8, 12, 16, etc. as you continue to upgrade it... making those DLC weapons which already scale with your level extremely powerful if you just place a cheap mod on them. Except, you know, that the stash->extras re-buy doesn't actually work.

They've completely flipped the day/night bias around. It's basically pointless to play the game during daytime now; you might as well just sleep til dusk every time the sun comes up. For some reason they thought it would be a good idea to fill every indoor area with volatiles all day long, but just have generic 'sleeping' zombies and virals in there at night which are completely trivial to avoid/stealth takedown. Infection is a problem, but if you hoard your shrooms and advance the story to the point where you can craft Immunity Boosters you should be able to clear out just about any of the indoor spots. The biggest risk is getting caught inside when dawn hits, because suddenly all the dumb zombies despawn and the place is crawling with volatiles. The only things worth doing during the day are windmills and clearing out convoys.

Progression feels super slow too. Despite playing all day yesterday I'm still only a little bit into rank 2 and parkour is frustrating because I still have so many things to unlock. And I don't like feeling like I *must* put all my inhibitors into stamina because windmills are designed so that you need X amount of stamina to be able to climb to the top.

Don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other on the choice system yet. I've been trying to stay on the fence to see how far you can push it before you have to make a permanent decision. Mostly because ACG was talking about how one faction will build a bunch of handy parkour assistance stuff if you give them control while the other places weaponry and stuff around the zone. I'm pretty sure I want the parkour stuff, but I'm not 100% on that, and also I don't know which group is which bonuses yet.
That meshes up with opinions elsewhere. A crappy version of DL1. Glad I waited.

Vorph

Almost forgot the most irritating part of playing the game during the day -- killing anything is just about pointless since more than half the corpses will be empty (but still take a couple seconds to loot) and the rest drop nothing that was worth breaking your weapons for. If you want upgrade materials for your blueprints you need to kill virals and up, and the only way to get them to spawn during the day is by doing something really loud, like blowing up propane tanks. Human enemies aren't worth the trouble either, since there's always one asshole with his porta-klaxon who will try to summon a dozen more dickheads. Since they pretty much all despawn at night, all the more reason to avoid daytime.

Also didn't even touch on how the melee combat/physics has a lot less 'weight' to it. Wish they'd put as much effort into improving that as they apparently did into the parkour animations. Pretty cool that they got David Belle into the game as Hakon though, I have to give them a big thumbs up for that at least.

Last edited:

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

Oooooof this is exactly the kind of thing I feared and was hoping to be wrong about. Seems like they didn't understand what made the first one so enjoyable.

*edit*

Oh and they snuck Denuvo in right before release apparently.

Last edited: