Dyson Sphere Program

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
There is a series of videos that I watched, called something like "10 NOT blindingly obvious tricks in Dyson Sphere Program" (3 videos, so 30 tips) where I saw that one. I'm sure other videos probably have it too, but those are the ones I watched.
Skye Storme's series, I see...

The one thing I'd like, and maybe it is somewhere simple that I'm missing too, is a list of what a resource or product is used in.
Clicking on any item on your construction interface lists what it is used for, assuming you have researched the appropriate technology. Like, early, it shows my Particle Container being used only for the two Logistic Towers, but once I've researched it, it will add Strange Matter to the list. Then the other building, and the other component.
I'm still fairly early in the game (never gone past the red cubes), so I have no idea if those crystals are ONLY used to make the high quality glass panels, or if they eventually have another use. Currently I'm turning every crystal into panels, but what if later I need those crystals in their raw form?
Ah, no. Every raw resource is used in exclusively one refining process (with the only exception being Iron Ore which makes Iron plates or Magnets), so silicate crystals will only be used to make those silicium plates.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
You would think a civilization capable of of warp speed travel and Dyson Sphere production would also be capable of easily telling you where built that titanium crystal factory. Or which planet you left that optical grating crystal farm on. Guess not. That's really my own complaint though.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
In the graph/chart window you can select planets on the top dropdown and see what's produced there. At least that's how I find stuff I decided not to produce on my main factory world. Of course if there's some bottleneck and it's not currently producing it may not show up.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
feeling kinda dumb: how do you set up your orbit and your EM-rail ejectors such that you're guaranteed they can fire regardless of current orbit? I've got a dyson swarm orbit that rotates above the orbital plane but the em rails are still trying and failign to fire at the orbital plane.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I've done two methods now. First time I build sail launchers on both poles. I never saw a time when one wasn't firing and sometimes both did. I suppose with a 5deg min angle if your launch planet is too far away there might be a dead time but I never noticed it.

By far the easier answer, which I used on my second swarm/sphere was find a system with a tidal locked planet. I used a seed I saw on reddit (28570582 - move to the Chertan system as soon as you can) which has an inner planet tidal locked around a 2.3L star, but there's a decent probability of a tidal locked planet in every seed if you're wiling to search.

Added bonus: your ray receivers will operate at peak efficiency all the time.

• 1Like

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I should add, that seed (28570582) is as near to perfect overpowered sandbox as I've seen for anyone who likes to focus on optimization rather than hunting rare resources or making due without. The chertan system, in addition to having a bright star with tidal locked planet also has every rare except unipolar magnets and sulphur oceans. 6 planets including a deuterium making gas giant. I basically rushed warp, hand making anything not related to science, and started over at the new system. I know many of you enjoy the exploration and working around limited resources, but I prefer optimization of near ideal systems and this was the best I've found.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've done two methods now. First time I build sail launchers on both poles. I never saw a time when one wasn't firing and sometimes both did. I suppose with a 5deg min angle if your launch planet is too far away there might be a dead time but I never noticed it.

By far the easier answer, which I used on my second swarm/sphere was find a system with a tidal locked planet. I used a seed I saw on reddit (28570582 - move to the Chertan system as soon as you can) which has an inner planet tidal locked around a 2.3L star, but there's a decent probability of a tidal locked planet in every seed if you're wiling to search.

Added bonus: your ray receivers will operate at peak efficiency all the time.
I was wondering how rare a tidally locked planet was.

I'm surprised the EM ejectors aren't more intelligent. I'm building a giant ass dyson sphere, just pick a hole bro.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Had to modify the Santa Claus' North Pole Research Station to integrate dark matter but I like it better now. I do wish there was a way to have a white ring to move the energy matrices around in, but I think it's impossible unless I mod 4-length long boy sorters.

1614475796323.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I was wondering how rare a tidally locked planet was.

I'm surprised the EM ejectors aren't more intelligent. I'm building a giant ass dyson sphere, just pick a hole bro.
I'm not sure how exactly solar sails go from launch to swarm to sphere but I spent far too much time watching sails and rockets join the swarm once I got everything running. Sails do this weird thing where they join the swarm first at some arbitrary insertion point, then a short time later leave the swarm for a sphere node. They don't directly make a sphere panel but instead go in at a node point similar to rockets and then a tiny hex magically appears in that area.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
feeling kinda dumb: how do you set up your orbit and your EM-rail ejectors such that you're guaranteed they can fire regardless of current orbit? I've got a dyson swarm orbit that rotates above the orbital plane but the em rails are still trying and failign to fire at the orbital plane.

Is it on the starting planet ? If it is, it spends a lot of time blocked from sphere rings by the gas giant that it's orbiting.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah i started shipping them off to a planet with a near sun orbit. Doesn't really matter that much. It's so cheap to make a hundred em ejectors to eject sails opportunistically, much harder to build the sails and sphere components.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Been looking at people's layouts, read this guide

Not sure of the point, like, i have more fun making my crazy polar research and sphere creation factories but I don't pretend for a sec they are more efficient than just a string of whatever along an interstellar logistics station. Are there really bottlenecks where an ILS starts to fail and you want to build one of these carefully crafted factories with maximum filter bridges?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Oh and one protip i haven't seen: using my programmable mouse and having a button to spam click at 40hz, makes placing structures quickly easy, especially shit like solar panels and windmills but also chains of smelters and replicators.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Are there really bottlenecks where an ILS starts to fail and you want to build one of these carefully crafted factories with maximum filter bridges?
I have places where ILS fail in that they are shipping so much stuff that they can't charge power fast enough to keep all the ships in the air. For those I just have multiple parallel shipping routes.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Been looking at people's layouts, read this guide

Not sure of the point, like, i have more fun making my crazy polar research and sphere creation factories but I don't pretend for a sec they are more efficient than just a string of whatever along an interstellar logistics station. Are there really bottlenecks where an ILS starts to fail and you want to build one of these carefully crafted factories with maximum filter bridges?

Check nilaus out imo.

I don't think there is any reason to care about energy usage at any stage of the game except maybe in the lag before anti matter.

His white research, I think I linked it, was a monster and doesn't take weird loops etc

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Check nilaus out imo.

I don't think there is any reason to care about energy usage at any stage of the game except maybe in the lag before anti matter.

His white research, I think I linked it, was a monster and doesn't take weird loops etc
yeah I only suffered on energy between when I got particle colliders 12.5 MW dick in your ass energy draw and anti matter suns. Now that my dyson sphere is shaping up I got UNLIMITED POWER.

I flipped through this vid, from what I saw it's basically what I'm doing now. ILS with a chain of shit between them. I'm sure there was a bunch of info in vid but I'd like to be clever about chaining the production of one type of stuff to the input of the other, I just don't know if it's worth the extra time. If the shit isn't breaking down the name of the game is opportunity cost.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
been listening to this 128 song playlist while I play, it fits the theme. mostly.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If the shit isn't breaking down the name of the game is opportunity cost.
and when I say opportunity cost I mean "give me plenty of time to dick around endlessly with my stupid idea of creating a radial design for my research lab"

1614562873296.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
this pic has it all, boys. The sun, my dysphon sphere under construction, my research lab.

1614563302205.png

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users