Dyson Sphere Program

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I love the cascading problems this game has.

On Tuesday I spent the entire session building an EM turbine generator planet. EM turbines have been a bottleneck for me for basically my entire game. It started churning out turbines, unlocking a bunch of bottlenecked parts, and I was able to increase my research facilities by like 50%.

Yesterday I planned on doing the same thing for microprocessors on another planet in the EM turbine star system, but found I didn't have enough photons. So I increased my dyson sphere production. Then I didn't have enough power. So I increased my artifical suns. But I don't have enough photons............ Then I ran out energetic graphite. And plastic. And I think my silicon neighbor planet is tapping out. And so I started the night just planning to build microprocessors and had to quit with basically everythign bottlenecked.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
370.jpg

up to 370 universe matrices.

• 1Like

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
That is pretty impressive. You must be plowing through the research. I'm down to 15% materials consumed by miners by researching at 90p/m.

How are you keeping up the energized graphite supply? 300 refineries running x-ray cracking?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That is pretty impressive. You must be plowing through the research. I'm down to 15% materials consumed by miners by researching at 90p/m.

How are you keeping up the energized graphite supply? 300 refineries running x-ray cracking?
I'm at 21% materials or veins utilization 26.

Yeah I use xray cracking and still have some coal deposits I'm mining. I haven't gotten bottlenecked on it too badly or gotten energetic graphite off-world yet.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
800 SPM. My dyson is about done. Two half-shells, pretty conventional. Max radius (distance from star doesn't decrease power per sail. Not does line of sight, lol)

1615173046116.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I played around with this mod today

Goofy mod, is buggy, written in broken english and requires figuring out coordinate frames to use. But it works. And it kind of fits the universe as a late game extension to the game that doesn't reduce the gameplay. Next I want to create a strange matter planet and build a second dyson sphere around it. I want to leverage this mod to do it, basically by building a self contained strange matter factory on an eighth of the planet and copy pasting it 8x times.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
This game is really amazing, I ended playing it so much I had a pretty severe episode of Game Transfer Phenomena. Was seeing tracers of little boxes moving around in conveyer belts, flashing boxes from placing things, etc.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This game is really amazing, I ended playing it so much I had a pretty severe episode of Game Transfer Phenomena. Was seeing tracers of little boxes moving around in conveyer belts, flashing boxes from placing things, etc.

I'm enjoying the same phenomena. Was looking at a spreadsheet today and it started curving as I was absently thinking about placing belts.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
That sounds torturous and would use way more materials than doing it using railguns. Props I guess though.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
That sounds torturous and would use way more materials than doing it using railguns. Props I guess though.

Wait, am I missing something ? How do you use railguns to build the sphere ? I thought they could only be used for the swarm.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Sails leave the swarm and join a sphere if there are enough frame segments.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
Sails leave the swarm and join a sphere if there are enough frame segments.

Doh, that will make life considerably easier. You'd think that would be something you'd put in the description of the railgun, it's kind of important info ;p

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The game is so fun that people are playing past the point of difficulty and just expanding out to goofy stuff. For me it's making the greatest research station in the cosmos, for this guy it's building a self-deploying sphere.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
It's pretty common, at least in the factory production games I've played, for people to challenge themselves like this once you've finished normally. A couple that I've seen mentioned include:
No hand production other than the bare minimum to get the first assembler (copied from an original Factorio challenge mode)
No rare ore/alternate recipes
And of course a bunch of self limitations like the no rail-ejectors above; no solar or no wind, no planetary logistics.

Unless you're completely strip mining the whole "galaxy," DSP is actually pretty conducive to trying these kinds of challenges since you can just fly to a new system and start over with as much or as little headstart as you desire.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Doh, that will make life considerably easier. You'd think that would be something you'd put in the description of the railgun, it's kind of important info ;p
You don't technically need railguns since just the frame pieces generate power. You need sail production anyway for the rockets though, and sails are pretty easy to make so it's much more efficient from a materials to power ratio to fill in the framework with sails. There's a bunch of math out there, but from what I understand it basically comes down to smaller frame shapes (2x2 squares or triangles) will ultimately generate the most power but uses a ton more resources while large sections (like the upper latitudes of Tuco's pictures above) are much easier/faster to make but don't generate quite as much total power. Every rocket will generate around 90something kW so a frame that uses more parts generates more power even if the sphere has the same shape/radius.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's pretty common, at least in the factory production games I've played, for people to challenge themselves like this once you've finished normally. A couple that I've seen mentioned include:
No hand production other than the bare minimum to get the first assembler (copied from an original Factorio challenge mode)
No rare ore/alternate recipes
And of course a bunch of self limitations like the no rail-ejectors above; no solar or no wind, no planetary logistics.

Unless you're completely strip mining the whole "galaxy," DSP is actually pretty conducive to trying these kinds of challenges since you can just fly to a new system and start over with as much or as little headstart as you desire.
I think other than designing cool looking super-structures I'd be interested in try-harding on completion speed, especially with mods. The speed at which you can build structures with the mods I'm using is incredible.