Dyson Sphere Program

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
also it's really annoying how you can make much smaller profile bridges by making a partial bridge and deleting a couple bridge pieces then dropping it.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
If you've got the same number of matrix labs for each colour the higher end one will be the bottleneck assuming you have all of the subcomponents available. The higher level cubes take longer to build.

For subcomponents, plane filters would be the biggest bottleneck most likely as they take by far the longest to build out of any item.

I'm still playing, even after finishing my sphere, I'm leaving it running to see how far I can get into the repeatable research, while trying to stripmine my home system. I'm inside the last hour's supply of silicon it looks like and iron isn't far behind it. I've already set up mining bases in other systems to start importing those mats from so that I can keep things going to try to finish off the coal, stone and titanium supplies in my home system too. Copper is going to last forever.

My veins utilization skill is at level 18 so far making the stripmining take longer and longer!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If you've got the same number of matrix labs for each colour the higher end one will be the bottleneck assuming you have all of the subcomponents available. The higher level cubes take longer to build.

For subcomponents, plane filters would be the biggest bottleneck most likely as they take by far the longest to build out of any item.

I'm still playing, even after finishing my sphere, I'm leaving it running to see how far I can get into the repeatable research, while trying to stripmine my home system. I'm inside the last hour's supply of silicon it looks like and iron isn't far behind it. I've already set up mining bases in other systems to start importing those mats from so that I can keep things going to try to finish off the coal, stone and titanium supplies in my home system too. Copper is going to last forever.

My veins utilization skill is at level 18 so far making the stripmining take longer and longer!
you try any of the mods?

seems like it'd improve QOL quite a bit

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I haven't used any mods. There are definitely qol improvements to be had. The thing I need the most is better logistics management. I have so many logistics towers moving things around across many planets. When something in the supply chain fails it can take me ages to figure out where the blockage is. Like ive run out of processors for example and it takes me 15 minutes of clicking from tower to tower checking which one they are supposed to be exporting from. Sometimes I can't even remember which planet they come from and so I have to scroll through the production graphs trying to work it out.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I haven't used any mods. There are definitely qol improvements to be had. The thing I need the most is better logistics management. I have so many logistics towers moving things around across many planets. When something in the supply chain fails it can take me ages to figure out where the blockage is. Like ive run out of processors for example and it takes me 15 minutes of clicking from tower to tower checking which one they are supposed to be exporting from. Sometimes I can't even remember which planet they come from and so I have to scroll through the production graphs trying to work it out.
yeah I can imagine that.

It's a little fun in my starter factory tracing my broken building all the way back to some weird fuckup I made in an stone mining line.

research connected to the PURPLE
purple connected to the PARTICLE
particle connected to the NANOTUBE
nanotube connected to the WEAVE
weave connected to the SULFUR
sulfur connected to the STONE
Now heaaaar the word of the Lord!

But scale that to a massive interstellar operation? You're gonna need a flow chart that the game doesn't provide.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Just kidding. I'm curious to find out if after I stack them to full height what the bottleneck will be.

I moved the three rails on the outside, but otherwise layer 1 is operational (and yellow starved).

View attachment 336239
Nice. Here's how I have mine set up but need to redesign the whole thing to integrate green cubes.
20210220085517_1.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I like Nilhaus's bus for end game research.

Couldn't imagine scaling up without that mod. Saw it when I saw the 10*10 delete mod.

As far as running out, shouldn't really if you mine all the ore and have your manufacturing all based on importing ore

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I like Nilhaus's bus for end game research.

Couldn't imagine scaling up without that mod. Saw it when I saw the 10*10 delete mod.

As far as running out, shouldn't really if you mine all the ore and have your manufacturing all based on importing ore
Which mod?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's the part that irks me. Every tier of progression I realize I've completely messed up my setup, and I'm tempted to restart to "do it right this time".
I went to a system that had sulfuric oceans in it. The goldilocks planet is a prairie planet that's absolutely beautiful. It's tempting to just ditch my dumpster planet I'm running out of materials on but i think moving from using a planets resources to importing everything is just part of the game. So much of the stuff you build becomes super irrelevant because you need or want to import other resources, so I figure everything i built up to this point is getting torn down.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
Tearing up my initial stuff is amusing -
'where does this go ?'
'what the actual fuck ? how did this even work?'

My greatest enemy is the 3d sphere - having a row of 3 belts running through assemblers be unable to continue because they bend into each other to match terrain drives me nuts.

• 1Solidarity

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Always run your construction lines along the parallels/latitude lines.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's the part that irks me. Every tier of progression I realize I've completely messed up my setup, and I'm tempted to restart to "do it right this time".
Welp.

I'm pretty sure my circular research stations above are incompatible with

which have six inputs and one output. Right now my setup has 5 inputs, zero outputs.

I'll still keep with it but will have to find some way to get 6 in, 1 out. Probably using multi-layer sorters.

BTW: CopyInserters v1.4.0 is a life saver. Especially for ore mining / smelting which is getting pretty repetitive, but being able to just lay down a bunch of parallel roads, configure one and then configure the rest the same way makes it a lot faster.

I wish the game had a mining / smelting combo structure.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This is going to be tempting to get when my current mines on my lava planet run out of stuff

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Well, this popped up on my Steam front page Friday, and after about 30 seconds I bought it. Spent the entire weekend playing or at least thinking about it. Came here to see if any of you guys had played it, and of course I'm late to the party.

This is exactly the type of game I have been looking for. I bought Northgard earlier on Friday because it was on super sale, but that didn't scratch my itch at all. I think part of my problem is that currently I'm tired of "city builders" that require me to worry more about invaders and rival empires than actual city building. Northgard, I kept getting my farmers and shit killed by wolves and such because you can only have so many warriors at first, but if you want more warriors you need more people, which needs more farmers/builders/whatever, which means more get killed by wolves, ad nauseum. Yes, I only played for like 30 minutes, but I could tell it wasn't what I was looking for.

When I loaded this up and saw that there were zero "enemies" to worry about, I knew I had found it, at least for awhile. I'm so fucking thankful for a game that just lets me try to figure out production lines and resource management and research and all the stuff I want to focus on. Not, how do I do all of that, but kind of half-assed, because I also have to build troops and defenses or manage natural disasters. I hope that if they ever do add some kind of "enemy" that you can turn it off without any change to the actual game. I feel it would be against the intent of the game to even put that stuff in, but I know some people get bored and/or don't want to just relax and let something run without a lot of input, so they might feel the need to do it some day. I hope not.

Anyway, I've restarted like 4 times already, but I think this time I'll stick with it since it is fairly evident from watching a few videos that everything you build early on will eventually get scrapped for much more efficient stuff later.

It looks like there are no Steam Cloud saves for this? I can't verify because apparently the power went off at home and I can't remote into my computer right now, but I was hoping to get a little building in here and there at work~ No saves show up for me here though, so I'm guessing no cloud saves? Don't see an option to turn them on or off, just so used to almost everything having it that I'm a little bummed. I know I can Dropbox it and shit, but was always so convenient to just have Steam do it.

I look forward to wasting the next several weeks of my life on this!

EDIT: Answered my own question. Dyson Sphere Program Save Game location on PC (Steam) No cloud saves yet, they are having problems implementing it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I really hope they work on the fidelity. Right now it looks way too washed out and cartoony (and not in a good way). Just look at the science cubes. It's like the most basic thing ever. Probably took less than a minute to make in Maya and it would be a placeholder for any other game.

• 1EyeRoll

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
When I loaded this up and saw that there were zero "enemies" to worry about, I knew I had found it, at least for awhile. I'm so fucking thankful for a game that just lets me try to figure out production lines and resource management and research and all the stuff I want to focus on.
Note that, if you want to cheat, here's the handy "how do I set up production for X" cheat sheet:

Pick item, disable what recipes you don't have yet, set amount per minute, and you have everything you need to build from raw resources.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I really hope they work on the fidelity. Right now it looks way too washed out and cartoony (and not in a good way). Just look at the science cubes. It's like the most basic thing ever. Probably took less than a minute to make in Maya and it would be a placeholder for any other game.
And yet, it adds so much flavor to that game. About every item on its belt is boring. But the fluo cubes? Those you recognize instantly.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users