E-reader or tablet

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
E-reader (Kindle keyboard) because I prefer the non-backlit display. I understand the new PaperWhite Kindles are lit without really being backlit and are pretty awesome, but I'll keep using the one I have until it dies. It is perfect and I don't need anything else on it. I have a separate 10" tablet for other stuff, but I don't enjoy reading on it. Among other things, it is significantly heavier and harder to hold in one hand, while the Kindle is perfect for that, even with the case.

If someone could only afford one, however, I'd probably suggest a tablet. But I'll never go without a Kindle again, and I held out quite awhile thinking I loved physical books too much.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
E-reader no contest, looks way better and is just like paper to the eyes. I have both and can't stand reading on a tablet.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Two for e-reader well three if you count Darph and his e-ink. Which e-reader would be recommended?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Still use my OG nook 3G every day. Nook tablet is just for Puzzle and Dragons.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the nook Simple Touch with the glo light thing or the Kindle Paperwhite thing. Pretty sure the Kindle is a bit better reviewed. Nook is slightly easier to pirate on but only very slightly.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Not sure how it works with a Nook but for Kindle withCalibreit's just drag & drop. It will automagically convert anything you throw at it to mobi and one click upload to your device.

I have the kindle 4, cheapest model on the market, but also the smallest / lightest. I think it's moronic to remove the page turning buttons from the newer versions and I'll probably never buy one. I have a 2$ cover that makes it very easy to read in landscape mode with one hand but that only works with hardware buttons.

Relevant pic =>http://i.imgur.com/nMNTFeA

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I still use paper.
I got tired of hauling 4 heavy boxes full of books every time that I moved. I've been using a Sony PRS 300 for a few years now, I bought it near new from some guy who didn't read very much and love it.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I got tired of hauling 4 heavy boxes full of books every time that I moved. I've been using a Sony PRS 300 for a few years now, I bought it near new from some guy who didn't read very much and love it.
I have this sweet deal, I just move all my books to my mother's house when I'm done with them. That's where my library is, ready for me when I'm old.

If you want to do pdf's you'll need a tablet. Otherwise, eReader.
That's what really bugs me about ereaders. Pdf is such a common format, I have many role playing manuals I would seriously consider buying an ereader for. But they are all PDFs.

Can you buy D&D books in digital form and are they pdfs?

So what should I get?
when I actually put some research into it, it looks like the Sonys actually are the good ones here. Kindle comes with DRM and you don't want to be connected that tight to amazon, which is after all an evil corporation.

But as said, pdfs killed the notion for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Archangel_sl

shitlord
When I'm in a place where I can't read/carry an actual paper book, I use my iPad. My eyes just prefer the colour screen.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Kindle comes with DRM and you don't want to be connected that tight to amazon, which is after all an evil corporation.
Only the stuff you actually buy from Amazon has any sort of DRM. You can add any book you want to it via programs like Calibre or even just drag and drop if it is already in the right format. But if you're talking about exporting stuff bought from Amazon off of the Kindle, well yeah that takes a couple of extra steps to strip the DRM (it can be done though), but why would you ever really need to? Except for stuff like the D&D PDFs you mentioned, which would be downloaded in PDF anyway and thus usable anywhere I'd imagine.

Not saying Kindle is better or worse than any others, but DRM is just about the last thing anyone ever worries about when buying one.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm really looking forward to having all my rule books in a tablet sized computer, with full text searches available so I can look up just about anything as a DM in an instant. I hope it's soon, because pdfs suck dick
frown.png

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure how it works with a Nook but for Kindle withCalibreit's just drag & drop.
Yeah I said VERY slightly, just because epub is a more open format I guess. Converting in Calibre will on occasion give you some minor formatting errors. Usually easily fixable. Ease of pirating is absolutely not a deciding factor.

I agree on the physical page turning buttons. Honestly THAT would probably make up my mind more than anything else. as such I would personally go with a nook since the Kindle and Kobo are both all touch screen I believe. I very much like having buttons myself.

So, harfle, if you want actual buttons to turn pages(can use touch as well if you want) get a nook. Otherwise get one of the others. The Kobo Glo is overlooked but I've heard tons of good things from owners.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I use a galaxy note II for most of my reading these days. Pocket portability trumps the larger viewing area of a dedicated device for me.

Blide_sl

shitlord
The main downside with the Nook is that its screen isn't as high a resolution as the Kobo Glo or Kindle Paperwhite. If it weren't for that, I probably would have picked one up. The idea of rooting the Nook and using it as a ghetto tablet has some appeal to me.

kindle no contest, takes a couple days to get used to the display then youll never go back to tab or paper. much easier on the eyes. super long battery life, holds a shit ton of books, easy to side load. and inexpensive. navigation needs a revamp tho.