E-reader or tablet

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
Kindles are badass. I have both a Kindle Paperwhite and an iPad; I would never read a book on the tablet if I had a choice. The Kindle is much easier on the eyes.

Just a heads up: Kindle Paperwhites seem to have some manufacturing problems still. Many of the screens are coming out a couple degrees off from the bezel. Mine is a bit off, but it doesn't bother me enough to want to exchange it.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I still love paper but I use my Kindle Fire for alot of reading, especially technical books, don't want to carry around a 1200 pg java book. It is also nice and convenient for traveling. I went with the tablet because I read about 50% books and 50% comics and it is great for comic books and managa, I would like to get a paperwhite for books and just use the Fire for comics at some point, as the fire has some trouble out in sunlight.

I still love paper but I use my Kindle Fire for alot of reading, especially technical books, don't want to carry around a 1200 pg java book. It is also nice and convenient for traveling. I went with the tablet because I read about 50% books and 50% comics and it is great for comic books and managa, I would like to get a paperwhite for books and just use the Fire for comics at some point, as the fire has some trouble out in sunlight.
I have a Nexus 10 for comics and mags, for text I have a kindle. I tried e-reading on the N10, but the glowy text gets hard on the eyes.

Spork

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've had the Kindle Keyboard for a few years now, over 500 books read on it and still going strong. E-Ink is easy on the eyes and I can read 2-4 books (depending on length) before having to recharge the battery. My only complaint with the Kindle is I wish there was a better way to organize your books on the device. You can make a folder for an author but you can't make a sub-folder within it for that author's different series for example.

That said, I only really read novels. If you read PDF's or comics, go with a tablet.

Sterling

El Presidente
I have a Kindle Keyboard and a Nexus 10 and wouldn't want to read off the tablet if I had a choice. E-readers are relatively cheap these days so I don't really see much downside to owning both.

Decado

Golden Knight of the Realm
Split my time between the Kindle keyboard and an i-pad mini. I've used the kindle for a few years but recently got the ipad and i find it fantastic for reading on.

Both are excellent with very few bad points and are useful in different situatuion so i'm pretty covered for all eventualities.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can make a folder for an author but you can't make a sub-folder within it for that author's different series for example.
I go manually change the titles on everything in Calibre when I upload. So on the nook under Brent Weeks it will be

Brent Weeks
Lightbringer 01 - The Black Prism
Lightbringer 02 - The Blinding Knife
Night Angel 01 - The Way of Shadows
Night Angel 02 - Shadow's Edge
Night Angel 03 - Beyond the Shadows

I have the option to make shelves for individual series, but that just makes the scrolling process on my old ass nook even longer. For authors with just 1 series I just go with the numbers/titles. Nothing Earthshattering here of course, just something anyone who had big collections of music or comics at some point does out of habit.

rrr_img_16878.png

velk

Trakanon Raider
I go manually change the titles on everything in Calibre when I upload. So on the nook under Brent Weeks it will be

Brent Weeks
Lightbringer 01 - The Black Prism
Take a look at the plugboard options in calibre - one of the example plugboards is one that renames your books to 'series number - title' or whatever you want when you send it to your device.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Plugwha?

I'm a dinosaur with programs, once I find a version that works for me I never look for anything new ever. This sounds really handy, you tell me what it is and how it works or I will throw a rock in your direction.

edit: Only just noticed the option for plugins, shit is cray. If this stupid GD update ever finishes installing I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up=)

edit 2: OK I got the ManageSeries plugin. Far as I can tell it only sets the series part, doesn't rename the actual books to be in order? Not sure this will help them be in order on the actual dinosaur nook and it was something I already did myself when renaming them all. Minor timesaver but doesn't seem crazy useful.

velk

Trakanon Raider
edit 2: OK I got the ManageSeries plugin. Far as I can tell it only sets the series part, doesn't rename the actual books to be in order? Not sure this will help them be in order on the actual dinosaur nook and it was something I already did myself when renaming them all. Minor timesaver but doesn't seem crazy useful.
Different section - it's under preferences, import/export, metadata plugboards

I have one I copied from the examples more or less - it says for format epub, for device (my device), rename the title to "{series:|| }{series_index:0>2s|[|] - }{title}" which takes something like "A Memory of Light" and renames it to "Wheel of Time 14 - A Memory of Light" when I download it onto my device, so it's in the right order etc.

( It used to bug the hell out of me when I'd have 4 books in a series and need to go to google to find out which was the second one because I just had titles ;p )

Blide_sl

shitlord
I had great difficulty finding a Kobo Glo online for the listed MSRP, almost every place listed it for like $10+ above. Best Buy has had it listed as "coming soon" since like October. Apparently the only places that carry it in the US currently are independent bookstores and Family Christian bookstores. I had to go to a Family Christian to find one since there were no independent bookstores nearby. Comes preloaded with like 3 Bibles but obviously you can just delete them.

Maulitov_sl

shitlord
E-reader. I'll go to the beach with a cooler of beer and you can read it easily regardless of light conditions. Great battery life, too.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Kindle Paperwhite here, used an old school Kindle keyboard for years but wanted something I could read without a bright light source.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can read PDF books on my borrowed ordinary Kindle. I presume you can read those on Kindle Paperwhite too.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
I have a kindle paperwhite and you can read pdfs on it. I really like the device, but it is not good for academic purposes since there is no way to tell what page you are on. I hope they can update the software to fix that eventually.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have a kindle paperwhite and you can read pdfs on it. I really like the device, but it is not good for academic purposes since there is no way to tell what page you are on. I hope they can update the software to fix that eventually.
That kind of sucks. The Koboglo shows the page number on the side.

Siliconemelons

I have the Nook 1- with the little touchscreen on the bottom- the software updates have inproved its refresh/page turn- no where near as fast as current gen, but it is in the degree of manageability- I have a HP TouchPad and my wife has a Ipad 2, and a Nook color she got the same time I got my nook- e-ink for books >>>>>>>>>>>>> tablets... kids books/mags sure color is nice- but if your sitting down to a 500page novel- the eink is the way to go.. I want a nook touch glow - but my nook still serves me nicely- I like the little touchscreen lets me quasi-multi task with the music player etc - I do enjoy that little option.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
I do all my reading on my smartphone. Galaxy 3. I download a shit ton of books and transfer them with dropbox. Depending on the format dictates which app I read it with and the only format I have to convert to something else is .lit(s). I use kindle for .mobi and Aldiko for everything else. When I rarely have a pdf, the kindle app will view that also. I use the black lit screen for each app to keep my eyes from bleeding.

I might give calbre a try, but it seems like I've been manually doing everything it offers with dropbox. I have over 10gb of books at this point.