E-reader or tablet

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Got the Paperwhite for my birthday. It is pretty pimp. I still wish it had physical page turn buttons, but it isn't a deal breaker.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sadly I turned on my Kindle keyboard this week only to have the top half of the screen show lines:

rrr_img_21822.png

Toggling it off and on inverts the colours and the reset instructions had no effect
frown.png
Its about 2-years old so its out of warranty, I figure I'll use the support form anyway in the off chance they have a suggestion and some posters mention they were given credit towards a new device. Still, disappointing that they've removed the hardware buttons from the new devices.

This is where the DRM really affects legitimate users locking you into a single vendor; I may end up taking stock of the DRM'd books I've purchased to see if it matters if I were to read them on a Nexus7 and take a look at the offerings from Kobo, etc.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Sadly I turned on my Kindle keyboard this week only to have the top half of the screen show lines:

rrr_img_21822.png

Toggling it off and on inverts the colours and the reset instructions had no effect
frown.png
Its about 2-years old so its out of warranty, I figure I'll use the support form anyway in the off chance they have a suggestion and some posters mention they were given credit towards a new device. Still, disappointing that they've removed the hardware buttons from the new devices.

This is where the DRM really affects legitimate users locking you into a single vendor; I may end up taking stock of the DRM'd books I've purchased to see if it matters if I were to read them on a Nexus7 and take a look at the offerings from Kobo, etc.
Android has a Kindle app, it even synchronises your place.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I broke my first kindle (kindle 2nd gen, which is basically the same as kindle keyboard) by rolling over it in my sleep. I ended up buying a case for my kindle touch and then again for my kindle paperwhite. Do not regret it at all. the cases are nice, and have saved my device from a few drops (I am mostly careful, but accidents happen). plus with the hardbacking, I'm not afraid of rolling over the device and bending it.

ringer_sl

shitlord
Gotta admit, I prefer an e-reader for, well, reading... Have had a kindle keyboard for a couple of years now and still going strong.Greatbattery life and the display is comparable to paper. Also, being able to remove the lame kindle backgrounds and replace them with my own pics is a nice touch. Having said that, I do use my tablet for some reading (using zo reader app on a samsung galaxy 7 inch) when reading in the dark - toggling the screen brightness and a sepia background make it ok to use without the eyes getting too strained, but it's down to battery life for me, especially when traveling and not being sure where the next charge might come from.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Given the price of e-ink readers these days there really isn't any reason not to have both. Hell, I read on a Kindle (I also still have a 6 year old PRS-505 that works), my phone and my tablet (comics mostly) depending on circumstance.

Telestin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I have been using a Kindle since 2008. I am now using the Kindle Fire HD. Can't really beat the price, and Amazon Prime is actually really good. You can borrow books, and there are also lots of free books.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Any news on a Sony color reader? I love their e-ink b/w readers so far
smile.png

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Tablet. Easier to pirate/read stuff that doesn't come from the right place or in the right format.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tablet. Easier to pirate/read stuff that doesn't come from the right place or in the right format.
This has been covered ad nauseum=P Format is a non-issue. It shouldn't come in to the decision. Price, size, comfort, personal needs etc all come in to play.

As for the new Kindle Super Premium Whoozit, flat front? For no good reason I don't want that on my e-reader. Probably just because I'm used to and comfortable with the old school nook shape with the raised sides/buttons.

On the plus side, if it actually does well maybe everyone will get their heads out of their asses and give us the fucking physical buttons they never should have taken away.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
Haha Stormlight. Everything about it rubbed me the wrong way. I just don't get at all how anyone can read Sanderson's novels. I remember on the old Fires of Heaven forums I said I hated the wheel of time series and got perma banned. Then like 3 months later someone else unbanned me. I am just not into these 800 page novels with cliche plot lines and stereotypical characters. I'll say that here and not in the Sanderson thread because I don't want to mess with that hornet's nest lol

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user