E3 2013 June 11-13

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I play plenty of PC games and that article said nothing about how PC games are shafted.

Fuya_sl

shitlord
Shitty console ports was a very common problem before Steam became as big as it did. Now console ports are fairly good and even add settings that most PC players are accustom to.

I damn sure like how it's becoming common for games to switch between mouse/keyboard and controller on the fly. Even change the in game UI settings along with it. Borderlands 2 is a prime example. I like to use controller to drive and mouse/keyboard to shoot because I can't aim for shit with a controller.

Which reminds me... PC players should be able to play with console players in the new Destiny. Damn it all, I want to laugh maniacally in the mic while I run past corpses of console players trying to figure out if I was some type of event boss.

DMK_sl

shitlord
I disagree that PC versions get "Shafted", they're almost always better than their console counterparts (I can't think of any instance where they weren't better, actually).

Have PC versions not been as good as theycouldbe if they were given proper attention this past generation? Absolutely, but they're still the "best" versions.
How is that not being shafted? We have slowly seen the decline in quality for PC games. Even Crysis slowly became less of a technological jump due to wanting to sell on Console. These are all facts. Due to consoles being the big money makes PC's have slowly been shown less attention. Just because they are the best versions of games doesn't mean they've have been showed the least attention out of all three versions of the game. I see that as being shafted. Dismissed as less important due to consoles. Consoles have been holding back PC's for years now when back in the day PC's didn't care what the consoles could or couldnt do.

Sean_sl

shitlord
How is that not being shafted? We have slowly seen the decline in quality for PC games. Even Crysis slowly became less of a technological jump due to wanting to sell on Console. These are all facts. Due to consoles being the big money makes PC's have slowly been shown less attention. Just because they are the best versions of games doesn't mean they've have been showed the least attention out of all three versions of the game. I see that as being shafted. Dismissed as less important due to consoles.
Well, I took your initial comment in the context that you thought the PC version wouldn't be worth getting over the Xbone version due to some perceived inferiority. PC versions haven't ever really been inferior to console versions, not that I can remember anyways and certainly not in the last few years. Even if they don't get the attention they deserve and are shafted in that respect, they are still the best version, period.

So, getting a Xbonejustfor Titanfall when the PC version will be better is silly. That's what I was trying to say.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Fair comment. But living in Australia unless the game is extremely popular over here I'd have to get it on Xbone as I'll struggle to find games on PC just like in COD after a few months. Where as there are no issues finding games on Xbox. The only problem is getting both really isn't a viable option because if you get both you've pretty much gotta pay two subscriptions fees to keep them both ready to go whenever. Not that it's that much cash just see it as pointless.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Fair comment. But living in Australia unless the game is extremely popular over here I'd have to get it on Xbone as I'll struggle to find games on PC just like in COD after a few months. Where as there are no issues finding games on Xbox. The only problem is getting both really isn't a viable option because if you get both you've pretty much gotta pay two subscriptions fees to keep them both ready to go whenever. Not that it's that much cash just see it as pointless.
Oh, fuck, I didn't realize you were in Australia. That sucks, my bad. I've known a couple Aussies for a decade and Australia has always sounded like one of the worst places on earth to be a gamer in.

I guess even if you did get a US version of a game the ping would be a bitch yeah?

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I hear nothing but complaints about being an Aussie gamer, sorry man
frown.png

Fuya_sl

shitlord
You do have a point DMK with the graphic quality. I figured you talking about the playability of the console port. All I can say about that is it's up to the developer. Some really do care while others don't. Just hope they do or at least see if there is a modding community to add what the developer didn't while doing the port.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Oh, fuck, I didn't realize you were in Australia. That sucks, my bad. I've known a couple Aussies for a decade and Australia has always sounded like one of the worst places on earth to be a gamer in.

I guess even if you did get a US version of a game the ping would be a bitch yeah?
Yeah about 250ms ping minimum. That's why I can't believe the Xbox one is always online. It's like Microsoft live in this little box where only America exists. Asia and the Oceanic is a massive market but our internet especially the oceanic is no where near good enough. It still takes 2-4 weeks to get connected to the internet from scratch.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
Yeah about 250ms ping minimum. That's why I can't believe the Xbox one is always online. It's like Microsoft live in this little box where only America exists. Asia and the Oceanic is a massive market but our internet especially the oceanic is no where near good enough. It still takes 2-4 weeks to get connected to the internet from scratch.
The other issue I have is that the psn+ release of UC3 shows how fucked up the concept of digital distribution is for us. a 47Gb download would be around 1/2 the usual bandwidth allotment for a lot of people here given how shitty our ISP's are (<3 TPG tho) so if that's the base model for XBone we'd be screwed. Hell, if I wanted to go round a friends place and show him a new game that was tied to my gamertag I'd have to use up a shitload of his bandwidth and wait for it to DL...PS4 I can at least just take the disc round and not care.

It's not to bad here though..yeah the ping is mindly annoying but for things like LoL and WoW I've found I can adjust enough to at least be competetive if I think about it even on a base 250-300ms.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's bizarre, because it's really a common practice for small companies that can't afford floor space to have pseudo-booths near this kind of events. There must be more to this story than this.
They have some sort of feud going on with E3 and the ESA.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
A bit more on the Mad Max game:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...y-to-the-wilds

"Max's iconic car, a heavily modded 1974 Ford Falcon XB sedan, is no more and Max needs to craft his new ride. The Magnum Opus may start out a rickety ol' jalopy, but throughout the course of Avalanche's post-apocalyptic open-world adventure, you'll be able to customise it to your liking. You'll be able to modify its chassis, ramming abilities, engine, harpoon, mounted sniper rifle, or even your idiot savant hunchback mechanic Chumbucket, who comes included...

The build I see is pre-alpha, but running on a PlayStation 4. A few of the animations are still ropey, but on the whole Mad Max looks great."

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Assassin's Creed IV
Beyond Two Souls
Destiny (if it's pc PLEASE)
Dragon Age III
Dragon's Crown
Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy X / X2 HD
Infamous: Second Son
Killer is Dead
Kingdom Hearts HD
Kingdom Hearts 3
Lightning Returns (maybe)
Metal Gear Solid V
Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes (these are 2 different games?)
Saints Row 4
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Tales of Xillia
The Division
The Last of Us
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Time and Eternity
Titanfall
Watch Dogs

I don't have time to play all this shit... fuuck

thebgamer_sl

shitlord
I thought this E3 was quite interesting. Monday was perhaps the best day of all, even before E3 got started. Sony just blew MS away by stealing their thunder, undercutting their price and taking a few stabs at XboxOne. I went to all the pressers, and the crowd gave PS4 a standing ovation. The question remains: Will the average gamer/consumer go for any new consoles? I still feel we're heading toward more exclusive online gaming. The big boys are trying to incorporate the online aspect to gaming, but look what happened: Sony buckled and gave people what they wanted with disc-based games, which is all fine and good, but that's likely where the console will end. It will die with the disc, IMO.

Next year is going to be amazing for gaming. Titanfall, Destiny and Mad Max are tops on my list. I saw some of the gameplay for all three and they're a cut about the rest. Look out 2014.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/why...ng-game-of-e3/
An enormous blistering historical epic, complete with sweeping string sections, stirring speeches, and arrows to the eyeball, Crytek's Ryse was one of the surprise exclusives of Microsoft's E3 conference.

It's a game custom built to fit with the dead words we use to describe video games. Ryse is 'cinematic'. Ryse is a 'feast for the eyes'. Ryse is 'accessible'. Ryse is 'visceral' - quite literally there is 'viscera'. In reference to Ryse, mainstream media will write and/or say the words, 'video games have come a long way since Pac-Man.'

Ryse is a technological beast and it's all 'real'. I have played the game, I have pushed the buttons that made the man do the thing, and I have buried the sword in the faces of the baddies. I can confirm that it is, in actual fact, a video game.

But Ryse is frustrating. Because Ryse won't let me be frustrated.

In between superlatives regarding how good it all looked, one of the few complaints fluttering around the internet focused on Ryse's 'quicktime events'. Ryse is focused on providing a cinematic experience and, in video game land, 'cinematic' usually means slicing throats, opening bellies and stabbing foreheads in glorious/gratuitous slow motion. Hence the quicktime events.

But Crytek isn't calling them quicktime events, it's trying to avoid that term altogether. Crytek just wants every kill to look incredible, to look precise. It's willing to go to strange lengths to make this happen.

Allow me to explain.

I'm on the battlefield. I'm stomping through the corpses of my comrades swinging my sword at anything that moves. I begin a combo, I slash twice and then whooom slow motion is initiated, shit is about to get 'cinematic'. A button prompt hovers elusively above the sword I'm about to drive into the throat of my enemy. argh I'm too slow! The prompt flickers, disappears.

I missed it. Damn.

But then somehow, for some reason, I still complete the cinematic 'kill'.

What?

Maybe it's a bug I think, but no. Next time I deliberately press the wrong button. The kill goes ahead, no consequences. Then I try hitting no buttons whatsoever. The kill goes ahead. I put the controller on the table in front of me, the kill goes ahead.

What is going on here?

I ask one of the Crytek people hovering at the booth - is this a bug? Why am I completing kills when I hit the wrong button prompt? Or, worse, no button at all. Turns out it was a deliberate design choice.

"We don't want the player to feel frustrated," I am told.

Well it didn't work. I didn't work at all because I feel frustrated. I am frustrated because I am being denied the opportunity to be frustrated, denied the frustration that will motivate me to learn the game, to adapt.

Worse, I am being denied the visual feedback that informs me what I did correctly and what I did wrong, to the extent that the inputs I do make feel utterly meaningless. The buttons I am pushing do not control the avatar on screen and the disconnect is instantaneous. I am not in full control of what I do; I am not even partially in control.

Spare the rod, spoil the gamer. When there are minimal consequences to the inputs you make, the rewards you do receive feel empty. The idea behind this design decision, claims Crytek, is that players coming home from a hard day's work don't want to deal with the pressures and stress of playing perfectly. Instead of rewarding players with a gory cinematic for hitting the QTE correctly, players simply acquire a greater amount of XP or currency. But these are rewards that aren't represented visually; the end result is that Ryse never feels fun to play.

It's bewildering. Bewildering that a game would choose to move down this path; bewildering that Crytek believe completely removing any semblance of fair challenge would make players less frustrated; bewildering that they believe taking control from players would make them feel more engaged.

So frustrating.