E3 2014

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I support more people using XIMs. The sooner playing an FPS without a xim makes you lunchmeat the sooner we get mouse/kb in consoles and can stop handicapping game controls for gamepads!

Lenas

Trump's Staff
People like controllers because they're way more comfortable to use. Invent a mouse/kb combo that I can headshot with while lying on my couch and I'll subscribe to your shitty control scheme.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
http://xim4.com/whenever it comes out. The 3 worked nicely on 360, wrecked shop in BF3 with it.
That thing looks ridiculously good and would certainly help ease the concerns I have for trying to play FPS on a console with a controller.

I do have a few concerns about the device. It says 1:1 translation but is there any natural input delay or mouse acceleration? How buggy are the profiles for games and how often are they updated?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
People like controllers because they're way more comfortable to use. Invent a mouse/kb combo that I can headshot with while lying on my couch and I'll subscribe to your shitty control scheme.
Oh I don't think that's a problem that needs to be solved. I just want you casuals to be properly embarrassed by the elite gamers who play on a desk in their mom's basement.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Oh I don't think that's a problem that needs to be solved. I just want you casuals to be properly embarrassed by the elite gamers who play on a desk in their mom's basement.
There is something definitely wrong with this statement....

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Just got home from LA and I'm exhausted, so I'll do a more thorough write up later but a few surprises:

I like COD more than I thought I would; there was a lot going on in the snippet that I saw, and it felt a bit all over the place but much better than I imagined. I'm also intrigued with a COD where they claim to have spent a good deal of time (2.5 years they said) developing the characters and the story. It's not my favorite multiplayer, so I tend to play campaign and then a bit of the MP and then I'm finished, so a campaign that is worth a damn is an excellent idea.

Evolve was probably my, omfg, I had no idea the game would be this much fun. The tourney at the show went way late, to the point where they were kicking us out, but it was fabulous to watch. Just a lot of really cool things you can do when you get a bunch of people together. Based on that alone I'll probably end up preordering it.

Assassin's Creed wasn't a *huge* surprise, but I'm still a bit amazed I was as floored by the game as I was. Coming out so close on the heels of 4, I expected the game to be lacking a bit perhaps, but it doesn't. AC is one of those games where pieces are made from all different studios, so it's fucking astounding the game comes out as cohesive as it does. Their guys are right on the same wavelength.

The 4 man co-op is way cooler than I expected, admittedly it was a planned scenario, but I could see excellent things coming out of this with things like challenge maps etc. Also, new weapons and whatnot - phantom blade is really cool, just because old knives weren't a one shot kill if you were spotted before throwing it, so kind of cool to have an instant "knife kill" essentially.

They also mentioned Unity is a 1 to 1 scale, so it's way more realistic and cool especially in cities. The presentation demo showed a giant city with 1400 NPCS operated by various AIs. Looked flipping phenomenal.

The ghosting in taverns is awesome too, and the way the side quest system works. I can't remember if they said they were dynamically spawned (Like Batman:AO) or always there, but it was cool to have a bunch of random side quests that were more than going to a bird cage.

And the last big surprise was Dragon Age Inquisition. I wrote awhile back in the DA:I thread that what I hoped you could do was recruit old friends, old heroes etc and then by that gain access to specific things, and they've done at least SOME of that. Leliana was a confirmed acquisition, and you can send her in to infiltrate a specific stronghold for you. (Though the guy doing the presentation mentioned that that damaged his relationship with Leliana, so I think it'll be somewhat Mass Effecty in this regard, in that there is probably a better person for the job.)

Based on the presentation, I'm way more stoked for the game than previous. Cautious optimism but it seems like they really learned something; it's not fully open world but it has very large areas and while exploring it feels very skyrimy. The crafting system seems to be a mix of DA2 and DA:O; the materials are more than just a few spots every map, and are more like the first where you bought a bunch of elfroot, BUT you also have recipes on top of that.

There's way more customization; the stats on the gear is closer to DA2 but the drop acquisition is more like DA:O, where everything drops something and you start with humble splintmail and go from there. I asked how awesome the customization was, IE, if I wanted a sturdy archer could I create chain mail with specific stats and make them a bit beefier and I was told yes.

The dialogue is also a bit changed; there is still the wheel from DA2, and your companions still react based on things you do while questing, battling etc, BUT they also added the camp dialogue from DA:O, so it won't be like DA2 where you just went to their houses and they gave you a canned one liner. My first play through of DA2 I got most everyone I cared about past the 75% in either friendship or rivalry, but the second one was practically a god damn formula to make sure you were taking the right people to get the big boosts to their rep or leaving behind the people that you knew would get a neg, forcing you to take people that weren't particularly efficient just to max it out.

A few other things that I wrote about on a blog and facebook so I'll probably copy pasta later, but I am very hopeful for this.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
If we're doing the whole grade thing:
MS: B (Well paced, no pauses to ask for applause for exclusivity deals, but very few console exclusives.)
EA: D (Only positive thing I can say was it wasn't a Wii Music-reveal level disaster.)
Ubisoft: C+ (Poor flow, too much non-game coverage, hamstrung by products being on MS/Sony shows.)
Sony: B (A or A- level of games dragged down by other crap.)
Nintendo: B*

*Yes, B. For yet another year, can some non-fanboy tell me why the fanboys thought Jesus came to visit after Nintendo's show? We already knew there was another Zelda, highly suspected it was open world until Nintendo walked that rumor back because it was too early in the publicity cycle, and aside from a hint at the art style, know nothing more than we did a week ago. Smash Bros is still Smash Bros, just delayed. Pokemon remake is still another Pokemon remake. Toad is another Nintendo-flavor DLC (though I thought people had issues with Luigi U's value proposition). Amiibos will help Nintendo's bottom line but aren't games. Mario Maker seems like a shadow of the Little Big Planets already out. Starfox is a control scheme prototype. Splatoon is a distinctly Nintendo-flavored take on mutliplayer shooters, but if it wasn't for the Wii U owners having no other option, I would wonder if it would have any player-base in a month. X, Kirby, Bayonetta, Warriors and Yoshi remain X, Kirby, Bayonetta, Warriors and Yoshi.

That's a lot of games for a first party, true; aside from a Just Dance and a Call of Duty or two, it is also everything that's coming out for that system in the next 24 months. It's nice that people that bought the system will be supported, but I see no reason why people that decided not to buy the system would change their minds.

P.S. Did I miss something, or has Nintendo dropped the 3DS like a rock? Yeah, Smash, Pokemon, and Monster Hunter are still in the works, but was the only new 3DS game that STEAM thing?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Nintendo is getting such high praise on NeoGAF, GameFaqs, etc because of what they did AFTER their "press conference". Three straight days of Nintendo Treehouse live streaming actual gameplay and developer interviews for 8+ hours a day - it was organic and unscripted with people who test/translate their games for a living - not suited up execs or lame media interviews. It probably didn't gain them any good will from the Game bloggers/media (who they basically cut out of the loop) but the consumer ate it up. The Twitch stream alone had 80k+ viewers almost all 3 days it was live, and who knows how many viewers the concurrent YouTube stream was getting.

It basically convinced me to buy a bunch of games I never even would have taken a second glance at (Splatoon, Codename: STEAM, Fantasy Life, Yarn Yoshi, etc) and if MS and Sony don't do something similar next year they are idiots.

P.S. Did I miss something, or has Nintendo dropped the 3DS like a rock? Yeah, Smash, Pokemon, and Monster Hunter are still in the works, but was the only new 3DS game that STEAM thing?
A bunch of indies, but Codename: Steam and Pokemon Sapphire/Ruby remake was the big ones from one of their AAA 2nd party studios. All the first-party Nintendo teams have been busy making Wii U games, probably won't be many new first party 3DS games in 2015. Intelligent Systems/GameFreak/Capcom/Atlus will have to carry the quality 3DS game torch in 2015.

Toad is another Nintendo-flavor DLC
Full game based on awesome mini games from Super Mario 3D World, not sure I'd consider it DLC. It's very Fez-like.

Fadaar

That guy
That thing looks ridiculously good and would certainly help ease the concerns I have for trying to play FPS on a console with a controller.

I do have a few concerns about the device. It says 1:1 translation but is there any natural input delay or mouse acceleration? How buggy are the profiles for games and how often are they updated?
I played BF3 with it on Xbox 360 and it felt exactly like playing a PC with really shitty graphics. Mouse movement felt completely natural, no acceleration or anything. Very responsive. Profiles worked just fine and are updated regularly when new games come out. The way it works is you plug in three things to the XIM (for 360 at least, not sure how PS4/Xbone will work): a wired 360 controller (had to be wired, it makes sense functionally), keyboard, and mouse. Plug that into PC and you can map keys to controller buttons. Interface is pretty good, you can change the sensitivity on mouse input in a huge range. I have a Logitech G500 mouse which worked awesome with its ability to adjust sensitivity on the fly. Turn it down to normal for (again, using BF3 as example) when on foot, and max it out when in vehicles (for turrets). Basically just fiddle with it til you find a combo of settings that works well, it doesn't take long.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Oh, one of the other cool things about Unity was the controlled descent mechanic. Instead of leaping off of the perches like most games, you can descend at an accelerated pace along specific holds. It's more intricate and cool than say, dropping from hand and foot holds, and you cover far more distance. Looked really awesome; if you haven't seen the Unity trailer with the tears for fears song, check it out. It shows a few of the newer things you can do, albeit not gameplay footage.