EA shuts down Mythic Entertainment

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
At least EA made them rape Dungeon Keeper before they kicked them out.

Sadistic fucks.

xzi

Mouthbreather
buncha people called it when EA bought Mythic during WAR development back on FoH, not really surprised anymore tbh

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
So what's the deal with this? Can someone with business/tax experience comment? There must be some lucrative loophole in closing a business - ea must get some kind of tax shelter from this that their company as a whole must benefit from?

Carl_sl

shitlord
They buy talent, that talent then is not competeing with them, that talent creates a shit game because EA doesn't let the talent do its thing. The game does ok at best but still sells enough for EA to get paid, and they shut the studio down because it didn't do as well as it was going to do if EA hadn't messed with it.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
They buy talent, that talent then is not competeing with them, that talent creates a shit game because EA doesn't let the talent do its thing. The game does ok at best but still sells enough for EA to get paid, and they shut the studio down because it didn't do as well as it was going to do if EA hadn't messed with it.
There are so many giant ass ifs that have to perfectly fall into place for that to be a viable business strategy that it's not even funny. A dozen pins would have to fall into place without error to make that work.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So what's the deal with this? Can someone with business/tax experience comment? There must be some lucrative loophole in closing a business - ea must get some kind of tax shelter from this that their company as a whole must benefit from?
Umm? Am I missing something or is the getting rid of expenses that generate little to no revenue not a pretty typical move for any business?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Umm? Am I missing something or is the getting rid of expenses that generate little to no revenue not a pretty typical move for any business?
It's very typical. The point is, only a shitty business doesn't realize how it is negatively impacting its own business units with shitty practices.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Don't make me put my spectacles on, grab a pipe, and tell sad stories of Origin games like Wing Commander and Ultima. Granted origin fucked up the latter with Super Avatar Bros 8. But fucks sake those were two absolutely critical IPs in PC gaming history.

Fuck.

Beastro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Don't make me put my spectacles on, grab a pipe, and tell sad stories of Origin games like Wing Commander and Ultima. Granted origin fucked up the latter with Super Avatar Bros 8. But fucks sake those were two absolutely critical IPs in PC gaming history.

Fuck.
But jumping so fun!

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Ultima 8: where killing a group of children repeatedly was actually a great way to power level.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Same as individual person level - if you judge someone's work is producing less money than you pay them, it's cheaper to fire them than to try and get them to do better. You don't need any tax writeoffs to make that appealing when the bottom line is $$$.

It's sort of a curse of publicly traded companies - doing well isn't good enough, doing fantastically well isn't good enough unless it's even more fantastically well than it was last year. It's the very epitome of 'what have you done for me lately ?'.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
Without Molyneux there would be no Molydeux, so I'll always be grateful to Peter for that.
Peter was involved in some of my favorite games EVER (Populous, Magic Carpet, Dungeon Keeper), so I don't take credit away from his work. Like all games, it was a team of people, not just 1 guy making it happen, but he was also responsible for some really awful decision making that brought down Bullfrog IMO. EA just took them off life support.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
but he was also responsible for some really awful decision making that brought down Bullfrog IMO. EA just took them off life support.
Except that he became EA's Vice-President in 1994, and his final game before leaving EA/Bullfrog for Microsoft/Lionhead in 97 was Dungeon Keeper, their biggest success. So...no, that would be complete bullshit and revisionist history.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I didn't play DAoC, so to me Mythic is a hit or miss studio, they did DAoC which had its nice reputation and they also did Warhammer which was an infamous MMO wreck medley of amateur game design decisions. Some people said EA went fascist on Jacobs during development, but to my view Jacobs had a shitload of money and ressource to make a nice MMO and he fucked up, probably because he couldn't manage to have the same magic DAoC vibe dev team had. Seeing him begging for money via kickstarter and selling fanservice to DAoC lovers makes me sceptical at best.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I won't defend EA but sometimes long term success is hard to maintain forever right? EA provided money and increased expectations. Most of these guys were very successful developers but maybe burnout was a partial culprit to their fall? Larger budgets, longer development time, increased expectations with every new game. Hell, Mass Effect 3 was a great game and the outrage over what we were owed sent the docs onward as much as anything else. EA allowed these guys to use premium resources to make what they wanted. Of course there will be costs associated with that.

I will say that Mythic had a limited skill-set that no amount of money can change. No Jacobs is also a big difference. With Molyneux and a few others, there is a sense of great loss. These guys...not so much.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Such a shame. I still play Magestorm from time to time on Magestorm.net and they were my first "Mythic" game.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Where are the EA defenders? We get a few every few months, when EA turns the lights off at another studio they've consumed or laid off another hundred employees.

EA isn't that bad guys. They make good games - it's a GOOD thing they bought up Mythic/Bioware/Maxis/Origin/etc because they're giving these studios TOTAL FREEDOM to develop u kno?
How dare they shutdown a developer that hasn't released a single good game?