Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Saw it yesterday.

Was better than I expected.

Would place it as my third favorite movie this year. And for me this has been a good year for movies so that is not a bad spot at all.

My only gripe is that being a Hollywood SciFi movie the ending seemed to not leave an out for a sequel, which was odd to me.
What was #1 and #2? Looking for some stuff to watch tonight.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
All of you arguing the point keep focusing on chickflick chickflick chickflick. The original argument was about chickflicks AND kids/family movies.

And no, just because HG is a "teen action film", that doesn't mean it's not a chickflick. Just like calling Twilight a teen vampire movie doesn't somehow make it not a chickflick.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Very enjoyable movie! I didn't quite get the end, though:

Why did time revert to him waking up in the helicopter?

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I think what he meant was, why did he wake up earlier then before. Other than "cuz hollywood ending".

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I think what he meant was, why did he wake up earlier then before. Other than "cuz hollywood ending".
Exactly. I saw that the blood engulfed him and he got that black-eye thing that signified resetting the day, but it didn't explain why his restart point changed to be earlier. I also didn't understand why the only action that didn't get reset was the death of the Omega; everyone who died came back to life, yet the Omega stayed dead.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Exactly. I saw that the blood engulfed him and he got that black-eye thing that signified resetting the day, but it didn't explain why his restart point changed to be earlier. I also didn't understand why the only action that didn't get reset was the death of the Omega; everyone who died came back to life, yet the Omega stayed dead.
Actually, it's worse than that. The omega comes back to life too. If you listen, at some point after he wakes up the last time, there's a news story about a strange incident (or whatevs) in Paris. So, not only did he reset further back, but somehow the attack he led on the omega still happened afterwards. So, basically, he and Blunt and J-squad were in two places at once. Or something.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Actually, it's worse than that. The omega comes back to life too. If you listen, at some point after he wakes up the last time, there's a news story about a strange incident (or whatevs) in Paris. So, not only did he reset further back, but somehow the attack he led on the omega still happened afterwards. So, basically, he and Blunt and J-squad were in two places at once. Or something.
I took that "Paris incident" differently than you did. I felt it meant that, at the moment he woke back up in the helicopter, the omega was now dead in that timeline at that moment. Meaning, none of the stuff with J-Squad happened at all in this timeline. It is fairly evident from them showing similar yet different stuff happening, culminating with him walking into the room where Blunt is training but everyone saluting him because he's a Major this time instead of as a Private. So none of the people died, the beach battle didn't happen, etc. The omega was just dead right that second he woke up, as were all of the other Mimics, and continuity be damned.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Or
Omega could always reset back that far but only needed to rewind 1 day when an Alpha was killed for a battle plan change. Either that or human based resets were incomplete, possibly needing a lot more black blood fuel than a single Alpha could provide.

Who knows, it was Hollywood original ending so they pulled it out of their ass rather than the novel/manga.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
manga just finished did it end like this?

in some way tom cruise has to kill emily cuz or vice versa cuz they're ultimate the cause/root/server?

still waiting on friday date night to watch.

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
It was a Hollywood feel-good perfect ending that didn't make much sense, they just wanted to wrap things up in the most upbeat way possible hoping that people won't care much about that big plot hole. Up to the Paris part though the movie was great.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
It was a Hollywood feel-good perfect ending that didn't make much sense, they just wanted to wrap things up in the most upbeat way possible hoping that people won't care much about that big plot hole. Up to the Paris part though the movie was great.
I have no problem with the ending, my only problem with the movie was the unbelievable sequence of the last 10 minutes of the movie leading up to the actual end scene. Very typical Hollywood action adventure bullshit that every time I watch I think of the Youtube channel ScreenJunkies and their Honest Action series.

Honest Action - Die Hard 2-5 - YouTube

Needless

Toe Sucker
I was trying to think of a plausible reason for the ending but was kind of stumped on it

I assumed by default you reset back to your last point of consciousness within a 24 hour period. Which in that case is after he woke up from being tazed going to d-day.

So when he finally killed the omega, retained his ability by absorbing the blood of it. He reset back to a point where d-day didn't actually have to happen-where he never would have originally had to be sent to partake in d-day. Which means he never would have been tazed. Thus waking up in the helicopter would have been his last point of consciousness.

Obviously an alpha/omega that dies within a loop is ignored in the following loop, so when he reset in the end scene-the omega was still dead.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
You're all wrong.

Assuming the alien blood makes you reset a day... Remember he killed the omega the night before they were going to attack the beach, he got the blood on him and died a day earlier than at the beginning of the movie, that's why he wakes up a day earlier in the helicopter instead of already at the military base.

As to why the omega remains dead? No fucking clue.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You're all wrong.

Assuming the alien blood makes you reset a day... Remember he killed the omega the night before they were going to attack the beach, he got the blood on him and died a day earlier than at the beginning of the movie, that's why he wakes up a day earlier in the helicopter instead of already at the military base.

As to why the omega remains dead? No fucking clue.
You're singularly wrong.
He was prematurely killed by rolling under a truck, not to mention during failed training, much earlier than the Omega raid timing

But also, how does no one recognize the one guy who is responsible for PR and recruitment.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
But also, how does no one recognize the one guy who is responsible for PR and recruitment.
Yea, I've been recommending the film to my friends, but prefacing that with the fact that the beginning is completely wacky. He was a tv salesman for the army, and would be ridiculously famous, yet they expect us to believe no one knows him. I suspect the explanation for that got cut or the story got changed later and they didn't bother to fix the continuity.

kidgamer_sl

shitlord
Saw this today and liked it. Great summer popcorn flick. Lots of action and humor. Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt had terrific chemistry. If I had to nitpick, it would be the Hollywood ending but it didn't really bother me. 8/10