Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Oldbased

> Than U
If you're going to talk about other movies in a movie thread, have the decency to not use ambiguous fucking acronyms. Especially when you're talking about someone who has made more movies than any normal person could possibly remember.
Sorry, I figured since I was taking about Tom Cruise and Top Gun 3 lines above and even mentioned the forum ate half my post that people would realize TG2= Top Gun 2 since whatever.
He has averaged 1 movie a year over 37 years though. It isn't like I was mentioning Morgan Freeman and using random letters. Pretty sure most people know what TG is when taking about Cruise.

What I am curious to see is Samuel Jackson in X4:TRoXC

Lusiphur

Peasant
Saw it last night and didn't hate it. However ...
.. is it just me or are the lengths they go to so you don't see Cruise is 5 foot fuck all getting ridiculous? I mean I know he has a thing about it and shit but it isn't as if the whole planet doesn't know he's a dwarf. Some of the shots and angles just looked plain wrong and took me out of the film.

Szlia

EoT and Guardians are the two best movies of the year, and nothing else is even close.
For reference, I really enjoyed this movie and gave it three out of four stars. But I saw this year several 4 stars movies (in alpha order):

Black Coal, Thin Ice: a chinese post-noir.

Blind: a danish psychological drama about a blind woman who imagines stories and fantasizes all day long to not lose her ability to mentally visualize things. A tour-de-force that pulls no punches.

Pee Mak: hilarious thai horror comedy.

The Attorney: Korean historical drama where a crook lawyer who finds himself in a kangaroo court, discovers a moral bone in his body and refuses to play his part.

Venus Talk: Korean menopause romantic dramedy that is just a brilliant antithesis to Sex In The City.

Why Don't You Play In Hell: Take a lot of cocaine and then make a movie about amateur film makers, gangsters and a child star turned psycho bitch. Add 1000 gallons of blood and 1000 stupid jokes. Infectiously energetic, wholly insane.

Obviously all highly recommended.

About to seeSils Mariain the next few days and it looks like some serious 4 stars material too.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Venus Talk: Korean menopause romantic dramedy that is just a brilliant antithesis to Sex In The City.
Gosh, that sure sounds so much better than Edge of Tomorrow and Guardians of the Galaxy
rolleyes.png

rrr_img_76412.jpg

Szlia

This picture is a total misrepresentation: I don't drink wine!
smile.png

More seriously it's hard to make more mainstream than Venus Talk, it's really a polished well flowing film with an all star cast. The trailer focuses on the comedy though.

Think of it that way: Edge of Tomorrow is great during its first three quarters (three stars), Venus Talk is great all the way through (four stars).

iannis

Musty Nester
A korean menopause movie. And I'm 1/4 tempted to maybe actually watch it.

What the fuck happened to me.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
We're a generation of men raised by women. We have no great war or great depression. Our great war is a spiritual one. Our great depression is our lives.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Sorry, I figured since I was taking about Tom Cruise and Top Gun 3 lines above and even mentioned the forum ate half my post that people would realize TG2= Top Gun 2 since whatever.
He has averaged 1 movie a year over 37 years though. It isn't like I was mentioning Morgan Freeman and using random letters. Pretty sure most people know what TG is when taking about Cruise.

What I am curious to see is Samuel Jackson in X4:TRoXC
How are people supposed to know there's a top gun 2? So the request goes triple when it's a movie you're making up. Thank you for your consideration.

For reference, I really enjoyed this movie and gave it three out of four stars. But I saw this year several 4 stars movies (in alpha order):

Black Coal, Thin Ice: a chinese post-noir.

Blind: a danish psychological drama about a blind woman who imagines stories and fantasizes all day long to not lose her ability to mentally visualize things. A tour-de-force that pulls no punches.

Pee Mak: hilarious thai horror comedy.

The Attorney: Korean historical drama where a crook lawyer who finds himself in a kangaroo court, discovers a moral bone in his body and refuses to play his part.

Why Don't You Play In Hell: Take a lot of cocaine and then make a movie about amateur film makers, gangsters and a child star turned psycho bitch. Add 1000 gallons of blood and 1000 stupid jokes. Infectiously energetic, wholly insane.

Obviously all highly recommended.

About to seeSils Mariain the next few days and it looks like some serious 4 stars material too.
Szlia, I thank you for giving us your 4 star movies as a reference so we know to ignore your ratings completely. I believe everyone has a right to express their opinion no matter its worth, but what you did was a real time saver.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
whys the song in english but movie in korean
it's common for a lot of asian films to throw in an english song into the soundtrack, you know mixit up. but fuck this movie, i watch most of the top movies that come out of korea, would never watch this, no difference between watching this or like meryl streep or some other old white bitch in a menopause movie.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Jesus what a fucking weeaboo pile of shit. You forgot to mention the last one was Japanese, because white people can't make good movies obviously. You're the worst.

Szlia

What's with the retard level on these boards lately? Do you want help finding Denmark on a map? Should I google Sils Maria for you? 5 of the 6 great movies I saw this year are asian? Boo fucking hoo, I wonder if it's related to the fact I saw 50+ recent asian movies at a festival back in Spring? But I am glad Hollywood can count on you to shield them against armies of 'weeboes', especially in a thread about a movie based on a japanese novel... Seriously?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You're a pretentious weeaboo. Who gives a fuck what the source material for this is? No one gives a fuck that you went to a weeaboo fest and watched a bunch of Asian shit and decided only they can make good movies. You post some horseshit list like that you're going to catch flak for it, you know this by now.

edit: In hindsight I don't feel good abut anything I've said in these last two posts.

Szlia

Yeah man. Black Coal Thin Ice is so shit it won the Golden Bear at the Berlin Film Festival (you know, the top price at one of the three most important film festival in the world?) and I am such the pretentious aesthete that I put it next to Peek Mak which is the highest grossing film in the history of thai cinema! I am afraid you will have to deal with the fact this is not the Grimmlokk's 'America, Fuck Yeah!' Movie House. But if you have no curiosity about what movies are made outside the US (which is a shame, no matter your taste in movies, since, for instance, Korea has been consistently out-blockbuster'ing the US in the non-super-hero department for over a decade now), I can recommend to you Short Term 12 or The Spectacular Now.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I do support watching all kinds of films. Sometimes you're in an Edge of Tomorrow mood, sometimes in a weird ass hentai mood, at least until you finish. But seriously, highest grossing film in Thai cinema history that's like... on par with the ghetto indie dvds they sell at the 7-11s here, right?