Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Not that you can really tell with the art for the battle parts.
Amen. Jesus that was horrible. It reminded me why I don't read that shit. I'm wishing I would have just read the book too, but oh well.

I sort of preferred the reason for the loops in the movie, to be honest. Not going to spoil it but those that read the manga will know what I mean. I thought it was a little too weird compared to not even really trying to explain it and just saying, "The alpha is the key." Makes it a lot simpler I think, because really why does it have to conform to something we understand anyway?

And Hollywood ending or whatever, I prefer the movie ending too. Well, the ultimate ending, not the part where he loses the power. But the part where he gets to meet her for real this time instead of just for one day. Cheesy romantic or whatever, I'm one of the people that prefer that I guess.

iannis

Musty Nester
Read the book. It's a quick read, and was also surprisingly good. It reminded me a lot of Starship Troopers, tbh, and it was interesting to see a cultural military perspective that did NOT (for the most part) involve the United States Armed Forces. It was really interesting to me for the assumptions it worked off of as much as what the story actually was -- which is fine. It was just all around a quick, good read.

After reading it you can see both why they adapted the general story and reinterpreted it. They're basically locked into a war that is impossible to win, no matter what victories they may have on the battlefield. Even if they manage to purge the mimics, which is doubtful in its own right, they are still fucked. If Americans wanna see they they turn on the nightly news, not go to the movie theater.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Chillz brings up a good point - dying has to take some sort of psychological toll on you. And he does it over and over and over again with no rest. After a couple you'd probably want to curl up in a ball and rock back and forth.

Not a criticism, just an interesting observation.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
It seems like it just hardened their personalities, after all it was war time. Honestly it'd probably give me a sort of God complex, since you're not really dying.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Chillz brings up a good point - dying has to take some sort of psychological toll on you. And he does it over and over and over again with no rest. After a couple you'd probably want to curl up in a ball and rock back and forth.

Not a criticism, just an interesting observation.
Taking the (permanent)consequences out of death might change the psychological impact it has one someone. More to the point, I don't think the movie was interested in telling that part of the story. Just like when Cruise is in the bar and the old guys are wondering why the aliens are here. The movie spells out for the audience it doesn't care about that part of the story.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They show him getting more and more rigid and emotionless as it goes on. More fucked up by seeing Rita die over and over. What did people want, another half hour of him just being depressed? It's an action movie, they paid enough attention to it.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
its groundhog day with bullets, you wanna see cruise jump in a bath of water and throw down a toaster? they touched on it but were more interested in showing you action

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Am I missing something here?

So, they explain the Alphas are extremely rare (1 in 1.6 million mimics or something). The Omega is the one controlling the alien time travel. When the Omega senses that an Alpha has been killed, the Omega does his time travel back to correct the strategy for a successful battle. Yet, somehow the blood of the Alpha introduced to Cruise gives him the Omega's power. I believe I recall it TOOK that power away from the Omega? Not at all sure how this happens?

Giving all that a pass... Now fast forward to when Cruise has the transfusion and loses the ability, theortically giving it back to the alien Omega. So, the Omega now has the power to shift time again, yet when Cruise detonates the grenade belt in its face it can't just auto-warp back for an alien re-do? Why not? When Cruise's character has stolen this time shifting ability, he gets bullets to the brain, yet he can simply auto re-do his day.

This is the only thing that I don't quite get. Otherwise, a great flick! 8/10

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
It's basically nonsensical, but, "The power" is in the blood, or whatever. So when cruise killed the blue one on the first day and died in the blood he took the power. That's why the blue one couldn't go back to un-kill itself. That particular one didn't have the power anymore, it was transfered to Cruise through the mutual death. Every time cruise died the Omega was reacting instinctively resetting the loop for cruise, just like it would had cruise been the blue one. As far as instinct was concerned, cruise was the blue one. As far as intelligence was concerned, that's why they "wanted his blood", rather than to just murder him, at the dam.

Don't think about it too deeply. It falls apart. It kinda does in the book too, and he kinda explains it the same way in the book. There's a page or two where "the scientists" say, "I dunno. Shit's magic." and our hero through Rita goes "Whatever the hell that means."

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For whatever reason, I recall them saying that "he (Cruise) took that power from it and they wanted it back". A bit confusing, for sure.

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
Lovecraftian alien creator race dies off and it's tools/slaves run amok? The aliens are a bio-synthetic A.I. weapon system or an artificially created servitor race that is designed to have third party organisms as a master switch. The aliens who created the system are dead and gone but elements of the original design will forever remain intact; such as the master switch functioning better for the third party than it does for the synthetics.

Need At the Mountains of Madness to be filmed now.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In the manga it definitely takes a mental toll with all the dying. Also, the manga doesn't explain how they get the power either. They don't understand how it is obtained but they do understand how it works once it is obtained.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In the manga it definitely takes a mental toll with all the dying. Also, the manga doesn't explain how they get the power either. They don't understand how it is obtained but they do understand how it works once it is obtained.
They explained how it was obtained. TACHYONS AND BRAINS AND SCIENCE!!!!!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
This was delivered to my office today by the UPS driver. I guess it finally came out on Blu-Ray. Thank you, Amazon!

Can't wait to watch this again. Probably tonight.

Siliconemelons

Can someone toss me the manga, I read the novelette and it was good... but to say Edge of Tomorrow was "clich? Hollywood" ending- that it was, was drastic change from the novel...well... the novel IMO was clich? anime with the "one of us MUST die" out of the blue. In that respect it was a great retelling of the story... I was more WTFBBQ over why the brit dude was all like "lets throw cage into the fray and kill him off"

The blood and reaction made more sense to me than server and antenna and tachyons oh my! Both where good and I enjoyed the read and the movie quite well.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Badass movie. Ending was Hollywood but that is expected from summer blockbuster.

I enjoyed the changes they made from the light novel to make it their own. Still liked the manga better story wise, but that doesn't take away from the movie.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Can someone toss me the manga, I read the novelette and it was good... but to say Edge of Tomorrow was "clich? Hollywood" ending- that it was, was drastic change from the novel...well... the novel IMO was clich? anime with the "one of us MUST die" out of the blue. In that respect it was a great retelling of the story... I was more WTFBBQ over why the brit dude was all like "lets throw cage into the fray and kill him off"

The blood and reaction made more sense to me than server and antenna and tachyons oh my! Both where good and I enjoyed the read and the movie quite well.
All You Need Is Kill Manga - Read All You Need Is Kill Online at MangaHere.co

• 1Like

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Is there a reason why Cruise's character is getting sandbagged at the very beginning of the film? That was probably the only thing I didn't really understand. It made little sense to me why you'd send out some media guy in one of those armor suits just to die. Did Tom like fuck that dude's daughter or something?

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
He was a marketer (war is gud, we must fight) and the fat general wants him on the frontline to sell the war better, cruise says no fuck you nicely, and the general says fuck you too, movie starts.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Hell, I forgot what the argument was about. Wasn't it more along the lines of cruise saying, hey general, I'm convincing these boys to sign up and die, you need to stop sacrificing them by doing stupid shit? I thought he took more of a 'war is bad' stance and he didn't like that everyone hated him for getting their sons killed.