Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Goonsquad Officer
Yeah it definitely feels like there's a .5sec or bit longer window before the roll kicks off. Having multiple functions, especially important ones like dodge, bound to the same button is pants on head retarded IMO. Its the same way on KB/Mouse. Spacebar has all the same functions bound. Didn't see if it could be rebound separately because mouse/kb feels like trash.
Do you use a mechanical keyboard? I do mouse and keyboard and my roll feels smooth. But I did some rebinding and I play a fat build

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
There's definitely a lot of bloat in the missile/comet section of sorcery heh. I have like maybe a dozen of them now that are all essentially the same thing and aren't good for much else besides sniping weak/annoying mobs. The one exception is the assassin one I guess? It has 0 cast time and can be fired instantly after attacks or rolls, so it can be pretty cheeky in pvp sometimes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I’m avoiding reading anything about the game so I had a slow and frustrating aging gamer start. When figured all the basics of using the horse, items, ash summons, etc I started exploring, and getting upgrades and levels I had a huge power spike. I went around settling old grudges and ended up one shotting 3 bosses in a row. Full of myself and cocky I went to show that knight at the beginning who had the biggest dick in town now. It wasn’t me, he fucking wiped the floor with me lol

great fucking game 10/10. So many QOL improvements over the souls games

• 4Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pretty standard controls for a souls game? Recommend controller vs m/kb?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
So I had 1 dragon just teleport away at half health (Ranni tower) and another fly away after a few hits (Altus). They don't seem to respawn at the same spot, so I guess I will find them somewhere else later?

Struggling with the antlion thing at the top of the mountain by the volcano manor. This thing sucks to fight as mele.

• 2Like

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So I had 1 dragon just teleport away at half health (Ranni tower) and another fly away after a few hits (Altus). They don't seem to respawn at the same spot, so I guess I will find them somewhere else later?

Struggling with the antlion thing at the top of the mountain by the volcano manor. This thing sucks to fight as mele.
That's the fully grown Starfallen beast or something like that. There are at least 2 more of them, though I think that's the hardest one, at least the hardest of the 3 I've fought. I killed them with a heavy duty shield and being very careful not to attack until you know you have an opening. A lot of bosses I just guess and mostly come out on on top but I think this is the first type that forced me to be more humble. Most of his magic attacks you just have to run and possibly jump out of the way of the AOE that's coming.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Yes to the first question regarding Glintstone Dragon, progress a quest line.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Pretty standard controls for a souls game? Recommend controller vs m/kb?

I've posted this a few times. Yes, yes, and fuck yes, go with a controller. I started the first couple of days with keyboard/mouse, and finally went and bought an Xbox controller yesterday. I highly recommend the game with a controller over a keyboard/mouse. The game doesn't seem like it was optimized very well for not using a controller, probably why every hint in the game about how to play gives you only controller options. Fuck, I didn't even know there was an auto target (Q on the keyboard) until I almost smashed my mouse into a thousand pieces. I played the game the first few days with no targeting, and spent most of the time swinging at air, and dying about a hundred times. I was like, "this game fucking sucks! You can't hit a god damn thing!"

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
70 hours, lvl 142 when i beat the final boss. What a fucking game.
eldenringtduck.png

• 7Like
  • 1Mic Drop
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 8 users

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I was banging my head into the wall last night fighting Malenia until I gave up and went to bed.

That night I dreamed I was gripping my PlayStation controller so hard that it started to crumble in my hands.

10/10

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
How did you not know to go to Raya Lucaria? The Grace sites lead you to every major dungeon.

Start area points to Stormveil
Eastern Limgrave points down to Morne Castle
Southern Liurnia points to Raya Lucaria
Northern/Western Liurnia points to Carian Manor

etc.

Although I guess not much points you directly to the Volcano place. I only have a site up there due to a hilarious teleport.
Yeah Im not entirely sure how I'm supposed to use the "arrows" either. I thought it would keep me on some kinda logical progression or maybe disappear when I complete certain objectives??

Now when I look at my map arrows im like
giphy.gif

• 2Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm still only 25 hours in lol. Im going to rack up some time today.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah Im not entirely sure how I'm supposed to use the "arrows" either. I thought it would keep me on some kinda logical progression or maybe disappear when I complete certain objectives??

Now when I look at my map arrows im like
View attachment 401738
So I think the grace arrows point you in the right direction for the final encounter of the area. Not the overall world objectives?

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
So I think the grace arrows point you in the right direction for the final encounter of the area. Not the overall world objectives?
The grace arrows point to the "progression" in that area, nothing more. And they will still do even if you killed the boss.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Just killed Margit and the dragon at Agheel lake. Magrit wasn't too bad. Took me a few tries until I got his attack pattern down. I also used the skeleton militiamen ashes on him and they just fucking own. He kills them and then start to concentrate on me while they rez up. The agheel dragon was pretty easy. Killed him on my first try. Now time to work on Godrick.

• 2Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
In case anyone's wondering about when meteorite staff can finally be replaced... I wasted a bunch of mats on getting crystal staff to +5 (which is when it hits S-scaling) and even when looking at the upgrade to +6 it is still 9 points behind at 56 int. 224 vs. meteorite's 233. So as far as I can tell the only staff in the game worth putting any upgrades into at all is the Carian Regal Staff. Reason being, somber [7] does not appear to exist outside late-game zones even though [8] and [9] can be found much earlier, so realistically +6 is as high as you're going to get for a really long time -- long enough that you'll very likely have 60 int for the regal which you'll want to take to +9 immediately.

I didn't test Demi-Human, it's possible that it could be better since you can easily get normal weapons to +12, maybe even into the 16-18 range if you don't have anything else to spend normal smithing stones on at that point in the game. Not going to waste that many runes finding out when I'm only a few int away from using the regal.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Jesus only like halfway(maybe) though the lake zone and heading towards 2nd rune main boss I assume and I've already killed over 50 bosses by my record keeping.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
In case anyone's wondering about when meteorite staff can finally be replaced... I wasted a bunch of mats on getting crystal staff to +5 (which is when it hits S-scaling) and even when looking at the upgrade to +6 it is still 9 points behind at 56 int. 224 vs. meteorite's 233. So as far as I can tell the only staff in the game worth putting any upgrades into at all is the Carian Regal Staff. Reason being, somber [7] does not appear to exist outside late-game zones even though [8] and [9] can be found much earlier, so realistically +6 is as high as you're going to get for a really long time -- long enough that you'll very likely have 60 int for the regal which you'll want to take to +9 immediately.

Even Lusat's isn't worth upgrading since you can just put it in a slot you never use and get the damage bonus (and FP cost increase, unfortunately), just like all the other ones with passives. I wouldn't recommend that anyway, it's a massive increase in FP cost for a pretty small damage increase.

I didn't test Demi-Human, it's possible that it could be better since you can easily get normal weapons to +12, maybe even into the 16-18 range if you don't have anything else to spend normal smithing stones on at that point in the game. Not going to waste that many runes finding out when I'm only a few int away from using the regal.

At +9 demi-human was still only B-scaling for INT, so probably around the 11-12 range it'd pick up A and maybe outclass meteorite? Probably not a bad option since most of the better INT melee weapons are all somber stones anyway, so may as well burn all your normal whetstones on that thing.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Very minor quibble on this: Of course knowledge trumps all, that's been true for past souls game where you could beeline for the grass crest shield or drake sword to trivialize the early game. For new players I think it's actually pretty genius how it's implemented for first time players. I've had a Somber stone 8 and 9 now for like 50 levels i can't do anything with. Somber 6 and 7 were the bottle necks for me getting to a S9 level weapon the whole time. Now I just need 7 and once I get one, I'll instantly get a weapon to level 9 so it's a bit of a jump but there are definitely bottlenecks to account for in any build.

Yeah, I've had a similar issue with Ghost Glovewort 8. I'll have a maxed-out summon (two, actually) whenever I can find an 8. Looks like they might only be in a sidequest area I didn't do and can't go to, so I'll have to get the appropriate ball bearing (in like, the final or 2nd to last area of the game) and use it to buy GG8 to FINALLY max my summons.

Main concern now is maxing my weapon (it's +21 IIRC) but again I have to wait til the final area to get the rest.

I wonder if ball bearings carry over to NG+, I doubt it. If not, it'd be wise to buy up on high-tier smithing mats in late NG.

• 1Like