Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Death rushing to OP items you looked up in a guide and trivializing the entire early game is a you problem, not an open world problem. Just don't do that lol?

The only real issue I have with the open world is it can be fairly easy to do things in the "wrong" order, in so much that it can be very difficult to tell if an area is just difficult or you are severely under-leveled and should go elsewhere, due largely to the pedigree of Souls games in general where it being hard could easily just be by design.

The real downside to the above though is that if/when you DO do things out of order you severely fuck a lot of the NPC questlines, some of which are extremely large and detailed and provide a huge chunk of the world lore. This has been an issue forever in Souls games where the questlines are so specific and have so many key points of failure that you almost have to look up a walkthrough to do some of the right, but it's just exacerbated bigtime here by the non-linear nature of the game.

I didn't say it was a problem, I literally said one of the good things about open world is that you can run to places "early" and get things you aren't supposed to have yet.

Rajaah said:
3: The open world environment is simultaneously the best and worst thing about this game. I love that you can go anywhere, and I'm constantly discovering new places. If I started a new game, knowing what I know now, I could get OP pretty fast by just going to certain places way before I'm supposed to and grabbing certain items. Sorta like you could do with Catacombs in Souls 1, except times 100. However, the bad side of the open world environment is that you often don't know how to progress.

And then the second part of your post is echoing what I said was the downside of open worlds.

Da fuck.

Anyway

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I’ll look up some guides after I’m done with my first play through. I don’t understand why anyone would want to do that on their first play through. I can understand looking up missing things once you’ve cleared and area or looking up something you’re stuck on but getting OP right off the bad is just stupid. What a way to ruin a game for yourself.

I’m excited to try a casting build, I’ve basically stuck to melee. Starting to tinker with bows and throwing shit now. Finally found the vendor who sells the samurai armor after 35 hours. Feels good to get that kit after starting naked. I feel like I’ve finally made it.

Yeah, I'm all about grabbing a cool item early and building around it or whatnot, but I don't understand all these videos that are like "one-shot bosses from the beginning" or "gain 300k souls AFK overnight in the first area" because it's like...why would anybody completely fuck over their first experience at this game?

It's one of the reasons I'm not crazy about invulnerability type stuff like what crept into the latest Mario games. "Having trouble with this level? Skip it and/or be invincible for it" not only sucks the challenge out of the game, it also deprives you of the experience of actually playing and overcoming. I can't imagine having my first run through Elden Ring be with an invincibility code or something.

But IDK, people short-changing themselves is something I can't worry about anymore, everyone's gonna do their own thing, and it isn't really my business. Worrying about people who have idiotic views about politics/games/whatever is a good way to just give yourself an ulcer.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
For people wanting a caster, I strongly suggest trying incants rather than sorcery. Sorcery is basically the same as it's been since Demon's Souls, while faith stuff is a mix of classic miracles, dark magic, pyromancy, AND a bunch of completely new things. Sorcery does have a couple new ideas, but everything is so mana-inefficient compared to pebble and Carian slicer that you end up relying on those two spells far too much.

I like that big Kamehameha-type beam spell. No idea which field it's in (looks like Sorcery). Several bosses and invaders have one-shotted me with it if they caught me mid-animation. Looks cool, does a ton of damage, isn't something I've seen before in these games.

There's also an ice wave move that I've gotten obliterated by a couple times, and I thought it was a spell, but now I'm not sure, I think it's a weapon. Whatever weapon that is, it's stupid OP in PVP and probably PVE and looks like fun to use.

As nice as these moves are, I'm gonna keep sticking to my twinblade melee Darth Maul setup. Haven't had any particular desire to switch to caster...yet. I did go from Str (Golden Halberd) to Dex with my one respec but no other major changes yet.

Goonsquad Officer
What the fuck is this setting they don't explain by the way?

All these crazy exploded towers and bridges, fucking glowing trees instead of a sun, some sort of ring everyone wants... weird monstrosities everywhere.

It's like a post apocalyptic zombie Valinor from The Silmarillion crossed with Shadow of the Collossus.
the souls games always take place in a world where the metaphysical cosmology is breaking down. in darksouls one the 'light' or 'fire' was dieing in the world and everything was dark and falling apart. everyone becoming undead.

in elden ring the world was fucked up by, what seems to be, the principle goddess abandoning her post, and her instrument of control being broken and coveted by her kids.

so in the soulsy games the world is generally full of awful undead or crazy people with demi-gods who have lost their mind and can't resolve the problem.

the lore is found in item discriptions, flavor text from NPC's, warcries and notes. the lore in them is often shockingly deep and spergs on youtube sort out in-depth explainations for why every little thing is like it is. by the end of hte game if you read all the things and pay attention you should vaguely understand what is going on, but it often takes item inspecting and side quest reading and lore digging to find specifics on why npc's did what, or who caused things here and there. it's not a perfect formula, but it's a fine compromise between deep story, mystery, and being thrown right into the shit.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yeah, I've had a similar issue with Ghost Glovewort 8. I'll have a maxed-out summon (two, actually) whenever I can find an 8. Looks like they might only be in a sidequest area I didn't do and can't go to, so I'll have to get the appropriate ball bearing (in like, the final or 2nd to last area of the game) and use it to buy GG8 to FINALLY max my summons.

Main concern now is maxing my weapon (it's +21 IIRC) but again I have to wait til the final area to get the rest.

I wonder if ball bearings carry over to NG+, I doubt it. If not, it'd be wise to buy up on high-tier smithing mats in late NG.
Great runes, bearings, grace spots get wiped. I had all the bell bearings too, i should have stocked up to try different builds but ah well.

great runes hurt the most the last 2 were like last few hours of the game and 1 was straight up a pvp thing.
Once a pvp level is determined I will likely start over if you can be scaled down.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally beat Godrick with a sliver of health and no mana/potions left, talk about getting the heart pumping. Think I hurt my lower back from tensing up so much too, fuck getting old.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
So I beat the Academy last night and really have no clue where I'm supposed to go next. Still have a +8 hammer and +8 greatsword I alternate between, I'm thinking I should probably get them both to +10 but Im not sure how.

I only found the first bearing thingie so I cant buy the stones, is it possible to keep reloading mine areas and farm stones that way?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So I beat the Academy last night and really have no clue where I'm supposed to go next. Still have a +8 hammer and +8 greatsword I alternate between, I'm thinking I should probably get them both to +10 but Im not sure how.

I only found the first bearing thingie so I cant buy the stones, is it possible to keep reloading mine areas and farm stones that way?
You mean somber? Or regular, but either way you are like 10% into the start. Try going hard south by south east from the starting area. Can also just follow the road it hooks back south after going east a bit.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Random quest question related to Hyetta and finding more Shabiri Grapes. I have her stuck at the third location and ran out of grapes and looked up to see what I've missed and the only thing that comes to mind is Edgar invading at the Revenger Shack. I realized that he hadn't moved from Morne and discovered Irina dead yet, so backtracked and did that, but now he won't / hasn't invaded. Had already unlocked the Revenger Shack Grace so am wondering what else to do to trigger. Maybe I can go back to Irina's corpse and kill him and loot it.

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Think I’m going to this hybrid build with my samurai.

This build carried me through like half the game until I got hand of malenia katana and I think I liked moonveil better than that tbh.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Random quest question related to Hyetta and finding more Shabiri Grapes. I have her stuck at the third location and ran out of grapes and looked up to see what I've missed and the only thing that comes to mind is Edgar invading at the Revenger Shack. I realized that he hadn't moved from Morne and discovered Irina dead yet, so backtracked and did that, but now he won't / hasn't invaded. Had already unlocked the Revenger Shack Grace so am wondering what else to do to trigger. Maybe I can go back to Irina's corpse and kill him and loot it.

You get a "fingerprint grape" from a crazy dude that invades you up near the big eye of sauron tower and village of crazy fucks near one of the lifts if that's what you're stuck on? I was able to give that to her as well but now she's gone again and I haven't seen her since.

Edgar will only move once you loot the legendary sword from that fort, the one that looks like the iron throne lol. Once you have that he says his duty is complete and leaves

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Think I’m going to this hybrid build with my samurai.

This is essentially what I've been doing all game - INT primary with some str/dex to use weapons. Straightsword mainhand/staff offhand for sorcery using. It's kinda rough early on cause your physical stats suck if you start as an actual sorcerer, but once you find a magic ash of war you can shove in any random straightsword it gets a lot better. The once you're far enough in you can get the carian longsword it's pretty strong, and then moonveil is obviously ridiculous.

People able to throw meteors at a boss from range then L2 them as they close staggers almost everything in the game, it's so unfair lol. The L2 on moonveil is so fucking good I'm not sure what they were thinking. It's basically replaced nearly all of my sorcery as it's almost always a better use of my FP to just spam L2s from it.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I haven't felt like light sources have been this important since being a human at night in everquest

• 4Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 5 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Minor spoilers-ish

5g2owxq7shl81.png

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Finally beat Godrick with a sliver of health and no mana/potions left, talk about getting the heart pumping. Think I hurt my lower back from tensing up so much too, fuck getting old.
I one shotted that guy this morning, level 59. Just stayed away and threw shit at him. Poisoned with darts. Then rush in and smack him and gtfo away. When he went into second phase kneeled down I ran up and wailed on him.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Lol level 59 at Godrick, that's an impressive amount of faffing around in the open world.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users