Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I dunno I made some roped throwing poison pots once to try against a boss and every time I tried to throw them they'd just go nowhere and hit me.
There are flask bombs that go forward, the roped ones throw backwards. I’m guessing you were throwing them behind you and into a wall?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Goonsquad Officer
Is anyone really using the crafting? I feel like I'm neglecting it all the time. I use some of the curing items for situational purposes (scarlet rot), but otherwise I don't feel compelled to use most of the stuff.

I considered using some of the buff foods, but trying to farm the special ingredients from them felt like an MMO grind.
i craft and use poison knives. some foes poison well. some leave themselves open for a knife in the gut when they are posturing and you're far away. and I fucking hate flying foes.

this chick is a chump to poison knives. when she's flying around casting you can interrupt her with knives. and poison her to boot. just pretend you're playing castlevania symphony of the night and mash knives. she'll fold like paper.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I’m sorta new to the souls genre . Think last time I picked up one of these games I got to some pile of goo ‘phalanx’ , couldn’t figure out how to kill it, then I gave my ps3 to a friend and that was it.
does this play well on a pc with mouse/keyboard?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I’m sorta new to the souls genre . Think last time I picked up one of these games I got to some pile of goo ‘phalanx’ , couldn’t figure out how to kill it, then I gave my ps3 to a friend and that was it.
You were supposed to firebomb Phalanx btw.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Goonsquad Officer
i play on keyboard, but i'm commonly regarded as a madman. most play it on gamepad.

in the past...darksouls 1-2, parts of sekiro and DS3 were monsterously un-helpful and/or downright shat upon to use keyboard and mouse. now it's a matter of changing one option to make the shortcut tips into keyboard, and you can play.

though i HEAVILY remap. i make space jump. shift run/dodge. q target e 'do the thing' and i use thumb mouse button for heavy attack, and other thumb mouse button for use special attack. voila. works great when you're playing an aim class (caster/archer) but....aim class isn't a strong part of the game. you lock on to serious shit anyway. and you can't really forever use cheap sniping to bypass hard content you have to....*dramatic pause* get gud.

i also use a mechanical keyboard which possibly makes a huge difference in getting dodge frames right.

Last edited:

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
i craft and use poison knives. some foes poison well. some leave themselves open for a knife in the gut when they are posturing and you're far away. and I fucking hate flying foes.

this chick is a chump to poison knives. when she's flying around casting you can interrupt her with knives. and poison her to boot. just pretend you're playing castlevania symphony of the night and mash knives. she'll fold like paper.

Which boss are you talking about here? That doesn't sound like Renalla

Goonsquad Officer
Renalla.. phase one is smash some gimps. wild swings her to death. then when she's on the water platform floating around by the moon. shooting crazy shit at you. i just held my shield up and circled her perpendicularly to make the spread-magic-thing miss. ran from the mini moon attack. when i had a break i just knifed her till she died. barring a few cheap shots when she moved close to me. her casting was interupted by the knives. (though maybe they were khukri? ). i was shocked how effective it was.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I guess I never really considered what she does in P2 as "flying" or "floating." Ok! I just rammed my big golden halberd up her ass.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's fine, but I recommend gamepad. The value of having fine-tuned directional control is too high. I personally play with a gamepad in my left hand and right in my right hand.

tWlCit1.png

• 1Hodjing
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I guess I never really considered what she does in P2 as "flying" or "floating." Ok! I just rammed my big golden halberd up her ass.
She mostly walked around but she would float above the ground a bit when casting. She wasn’t really out of reach but I’m sure throwing shit at her was easier.

• 1Solidarity

Goonsquad Officer
yea. i'm sure i'm over-remembering a tiny aspect of her in phase two. some...part of her casting animation has her lift. maybe the mini moon thing. or summoning maybe. heh i bet she stays on the ground 90 percent of the time but due to my cheap ass knife shenanigans my memory is of her flying around and dying like a harpy.

• 1Worf

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
It's fine, but I recommend gamepad. The value of having fine-tuned directional control is too high. I personally play with a gamepad in my left hand and right in my right hand.

tWlCit1.png
This is the setup of someone who has never even touched a maiden.

• 13Worf
  • 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 17 users

Goonsquad Officer
that set up makes me want to post my normal-ass keyboard bindings that work just fine haha

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
that set up makes me want to post my normal-ass keyboard bindings that work just fine haha
I play greatshield full time

Only half kidding. I could probably play ER with like, 4 buttons if I stuck to my incantation build. I just need one button to summon my mimic, another to cast my dragon incantations and another two for sprint + run forward. Playstyles that make use of bloodhound's Step make having tight camera and motion controls really nice. It's also great for kiting mobs on the horse and being able to look in a different direction than I am running

I mean, if this guy can do it with one hand, you don't need damn foot pedals.

• 1Repost

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

tWlCit1.png
Imagine going through a setup as "elaborate" as this and still ending up maidenless.

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
i fucking love the use of audio/visual markers in the world that hint you how to find things. just off the top of my head:

the grim reaper statues reveal the direction of a crypt
the glow trees let you track the ghost to a dungeon or something.
the paintings of another place you go to
the grace points whisping at the next objective in the region (i wish they'd shut off when you get their target tho).
the trees always have a guy to punk down
the towers where you unlock the runes are always super tall
the mini boss storage bowls with the weird ass worms pointing their flash lights.

i like the way various types of 'side dungeon' offer various rewards. so you generally know a crypt is for ash, a mine is for upgrade materials.

I like hunting thte map obolisks to reveal the map.

all of that is super excelent. the game tells you where things are without either giving you a quest marker, or using words to lead you by the nose.

i bet there's other things i'm not even thinking about.

To add to that list, I also love how ruins actually look like ruins. Everytime I see one in the distance I can't help but go up to it and explore, looking for either 1) a site of grace and/or 2) a staircase leading to an underground chest.

• 1Like

Leon

<Silver Donator>
To add to that list, I also love how ruins actually look like ruins. Everytime I see one in the distance I can't help but go up to it and explore, looking for either 1) a site of grace and/or 2) a staircase leading to an underground chest.
It's the little things in this game.

Oh shit what's this? a ghost walking leaving ghostly footpirnts. Better follow him. Oh shit it's an underground entrance, better check it out, the ghost stopped in front of it. OH WHAT THE FUCK WHY IS THIS GIANT BEAR TRYING TO EAT MY FACE AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH