Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Burns

This game is like the ultimate evolution of Zelda 1 and Dragon Warrior 1. Morrowind and Fallout 3 were big steps along the way, Elden Ring is the final form (maybe).

Those two NES games had like zero structure, and it was amazing for a kid with an imagination. You were only limited by whether or not you could handle the enemies in a given area since you could go anywhere from the start. Different players would have different experiences.

Unfortunately the sequels to both games made things quite a bit more linear, but for those very first games, you could go anywhere from the very beginning and it was great.
This game has locked out areas too. I got to the front door of the capitol city and there was a door that said I needed to have two runes to progress. So I went and killed Radahn. Then I ran through the city toward the snow mountain area and there is an actual invisible wall, at the top of the hill, saying I must kill the main boss in the city.

...and that's where I quit, and have had zero motivation to play since.

Maybe it's too JRPG like for my tastes, but I don't care for the lore or the story, and the combat is whatever; so exploration of systems is all I had.

• 3Faggotry
  • 2Worf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 6 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Lots of people missed it, dick! I totally agree though, the quest was good, especially the drawn map. There's another point where you get a drawn map that shows you where 3 seals are, and that was pretty cool too. One of the 3 seals is inside of a rock that disappears when you hit it, which had me stumped for literally 20 minutes or so.

On another note, I'm thinking maybe the DLC will have a fight with Miquella? I feel like Miquella is the only big major figure this game builds up that you don't fight or even see. I also think Malenia was supposed to be a DLC boss, so maybe DLC1 was Malenia / the consecrated snowfield / the tree and DLC2 was ??? / Miquella. Then DLC1 just got blended into the main game instead. Is there any particular part of the overworld that's empty and looks interesting ingame? The entire edge of the Mountaintops zone is pretty much blank map, western side of it in particular looks like it could be a new area.
Maybe an area that’s obscured by this cloud? You find a pair of shoes that once belong to an elden lord who has decided to live his life as a nocturnal sheep. Upon approaching the correct sheep at night while wearing the shoes, he reflects upon all he has lost from his previous life. A beam of light extends from his bleating maw and evaporates the clouds, revealing his island of solitude. He extends an invitation to his manor on the island and tells you that a warp gate has been revealed somewhere in the world, you must only find it to accept the invitation and dine with him, provided his minions allow you entrance.

1646922801115.jpeg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I’m definitely overleveled for the Siofra river well area but still getting brutalized by the infinite range, insane homing arrows from the ancestral Minotaur dudes. I’m getting flashbacks of shrine of amana, but it’s even worse

• 2Like
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 3 users

Goonsquad Officer
I’m definitely overleveled for the Siofra river well area but still getting brutalized by the infinite range, insane homing arrows from the ancestral Minotaur dudes. I’m getting flashbacks of shrine of amana, but it’s even worse
yea that zone became a move from cover to cover for me as i fought to the other lift. or chased torches.

• 2Like

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Ok killed fire giant - advice time.

Looks like a "soft point of no return" - is this the time where I go and explore everything before continuing? I am around level 78 or so.

Or, continue and I can still access the open world anyway - heard some things happen but also do not want to spoil it.

I still have not killed Radahn - and LOTS Of other POI's, Wells, etc - that I have left to explore and do stuff in - only unlocked 2-3 bells max so I know there are tons more of those out there.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Ok killed fire giant - advice time.

Looks like a "soft point of no return" - is this the time where I go and explore everything before continuing? I am around level 78 or so.

Or, continue and I can still access the open world anyway - heard some things happen but also do not want to spoil it.

I still have not killed Radahn - and LOTS Of other POI's, Wells, etc - that I have left to explore and do stuff in - only unlocked 2-3 bells max so I know there are tons more of those out there.
If you haven’t killed Radahn you missing like half the game still. Yea go back.

• 2Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So after beating the big mounted Knight in Caria Manor, I made my way to the area behind the manor and fought some glint dragon. At some point during the fight, the dragon disappeared(flew off?). Is that supposed to happen?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So after beating the big mounted Knight in Caria Manor, I made my way to the area behind the manor and fought some glint dragon. At some point during the fight, the dragon disappeared(flew off?). Is that supposed to happen?
Yes, you fight it elsewhere.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Went back to my main account after learning some stuff about the endings. Looks like I got some more to do!

• 2Like

Goonsquad Officer
do you accomplish one ending per character? or can you -redo the end sequence to see them all?

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Is 70 too low for non-pro for the Nokron area? The standard enemies havent been too bad but it seems like there's a ton of mini boss encounters, went there immediately after killing Radahn and havent been north of the academy yet.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Is 70 too low for non-pro for the Nokron area? The standard enemies havent been too bad but it seems like there's a ton of mini boss encounters, went there immediately after killing Radahn and havent been north of the academy yet.
The bosses might be kinda of tough but doable - can't recall my level but felt overlevelled for everything until one boss in particular there

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
The bosses might be kinda of tough but doable - can't recall my level but felt overlevelled for everything until one boss in particular there
Thanks, I may explore elsewhere first but that whole area is beautiful, wanted to keep going with Ranni the Witch's quest but I'm assuming heading North won't ruin it for me right? I can always come back later.

I don't want to be over leveled necessarily but it would be nice to be about on par. Those gargoyles handed me my ass pretty quickly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?

Yea probably do academy first then come back. I did actual Nokron itself after all of Caelid/Liurna once I had completed both the big dungeons there.

The sophria river place itself you can do way earlier than that if you want, but the Nokrok city propery is definitely closer to the 90-100 range.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Started getting into Lyendell city last night and really liked the zone. Feels so sprawling and massive and like you’re missing shit everywhere. Ended up staying up too late cause I didn’t want to quit. Found a dude named Godfrey and killed him after a few tries. Starting to find a lot of cooler weapons and armor sets now too. I like the nasty mushroom armor I found in a cave lol.

• 2Like

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Yea probably do academy first then come back. I did actual Nokron itself after all of Caelid/Liurna once I had completed both the big dungeons there.

The sophria river place itself you can do way earlier than that if you want, but the Nokrok city propery is definitely closer to the 90-100 range.
Academy is done so is the Manor, I actually did both of those before Redmane castle. (Assuming you meant Raya Luca Academy or whatever?)

Think Ill explore Caelid more and then head north from the Academy since there appears to be a ton of areas up there I haven't explored yet.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Just cause it seems so common to ask, a pretty rough outline of general progression so you're the "right" level in most places:

Do all of Limgrave proper, or as much as you want to explore in the open world. This includes going south across the bridge to the land down there. Once you've had your fill of Limgrave head in to Stormveil, the sweet spot for the big bosses in there is level 35-40 or so, where they will be difficult but not ball crushing. This early on don't be afraid to skip or run away from things that seem like they are too much, as you're relatively weak early on and your tools to deal with things are limited. The gigachad bears for example just don't even bother lol.

Next is Liurnia up north. You can kinda just rampage around up here where ever you want, but keep in mind it gets a fair bit harder in the very northern parts and specifically the big Cariad manor is probably best saved until after the academy is done. Academy you probably want to go tackle at level 50-60 give or take. Once academy is done you should be good to clear out any remaining field stuff you want where ever in Liurna, and run through Cariad manor as well.

At this point I went down in to the Sofria river area and did everything I could down there. This is entirely optional as far as I can tell, at least the initial parts of it that you access from the well in Limgrave.

Level 70 or so I finally went to Caelid and starting clearing out field stuff there. Caelid scales pretty steeply in the very northern and eastern portions (dragons out in the field might be pretty hard until you're level 80-90), but it's not bad if you stick to the center/south areas. I found Radahn at I think level 80, give or take a couple levels.

At this point you can kind of do whatever you want to. You're high enough level that you have obtained most of the power you're going to obtain and will do enough damage to fight almost any bosses you want to and find success. I went and did all of Nokron and Deeproot at this point before going to the capital or taking the lift up to Atlus, but you could do this in whatever order and have it feel mostly the same. Only thing I would really recommend is going and finishing up Nokron and the rest of the underground areas like lake of rot etc before you do the big story bit where you burn the Erdtree.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The gigachad bears for example just don't even bother lol.
Jesus christ fuck those stupid bears. Finally downed them around L35 after beating Godrick and they were still a huge pain in the ass. Hyper agro, infinte poise, bouncing all over the fucking place, big AE swings (sound familiar? Its like 90% of the bosses in the first part of the game it seems), and as a final fuck you they drop nothing of real value and are worth squat for souls.

If you want to up skills or practice a weapon, general coop mode is a pretty solid place to git gud with zero risk. It is not as fast, Rune wise, as farming assassins or giants, but its a steady risk free source of runes (especially once you unlock all of Stormviel) where dying will never cost you runes. Plus drop rates in coop are crazy high.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
This "soft cap" for fire spells is having 80 int and faith? Am I reading that right?

How do split scaling things work against a soft cap?

If it's 80 dex allegedly for the final soft cap for a pure Dex wep, is it 40/40 or an str/Dex wep or a full 80str/Dex?

Don't have this sorc alt up high enough to fully test.