Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I beat him on my second phase transition by jumping away from him constantly until he did a lightning move which you can counter and chunks him for like >1/4 of his health. Repeat as needed. If I replayed I bet I could just straight up parry god him but I didn't realize how broken parry, mikiri and ichimonji were by that point.

I have beaten every single boss in every single Fromsoft game, with the exception of Sekiro.

I got stuck on Genichiro Ashina at the top of Ashina castle. The second time you fight him. It's simply impossible for me to beat this guy. I have reinstalled and tried it again twice, plus the first time I started the game. I have probably attempted him 150 times.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I have beaten every single boss in every single Fromsoft game, with the exception of Sekiro.

I got stuck on Genichiro Ashina at the top of Ashina castle. The second time you fight him. It's simply impossible for me to beat this guy. I have reinstalled and tried it again twice, plus the first time I started the game. I have probably attempted him 150 times.
So you didn't get past Genichiro and fight the Gorila, Ishin Ashina and so on?

Ishin Ashina is simultaneously the most badass and most bullshit Fromsoft boss fight ever lol.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
So you didn't get past Genichiro and fight the Gorila, Ishin Ashina and so on?

Ishin Ashina is simultaneously the most badass and most bullshit Fromsoft boss fight ever lol.
Nope. At least 2 of my friends were in the same spot. One broke the physical copy of the game in half and threw it away over this fight.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Ishin was so fucking annoying that I just didn't have it in me to beat him. Fortunately, I bought it on PC and just used a cheat to kill him and finish the game, so I could see the ending. I really enjoyed the game, for the most part, but it's nowhere near my favorite From game.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I died to Ishin Ashina a lot. The fight being 4 phases like some anime bullshit just makes it such a slog... one where you can't fuck very much. The Samurai Duel in the middle of the storm as an aesthetic was super badass though.

I don't remember struggling against Genichiro too much. But the way to do it is just avoid the boss until they do a move you know you can safely attack during. It's kind of tedious but that is how you deal with any of the bosses that really trouble you. Run around and avoid or block whatever until they do a move you know you can hit them during. This is the "cheap" way to beat Genichiro, Owl, and even Ishin Ashina. Both the owl and Ishin by baiting them into leap attacks then attacking them.

I struggled against various mini bosses and headless a lot more.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I died to Ishin Ashina a lot. The fight being 4 phases like some anime bullshit just makes it such a slog... one where you can't fuck very much. The Samurai Duel in the middle of the storm as an aesthetic was super badass though.

I don't remember struggling against Genichiro too much. But the way to do it is just avoid the boss until they do a move you know you can safely attack during. It's kind of tedious but that is how you deal with any of the bosses that really trouble you. Run around and avoid or block whatever until they do a move you know you can hit them during. This is the "cheap" way to beat Genichiro, Owl, and even Ishin Ashina. Both the owl and Ishin by baiting them into leap attacks then attacking them.

I struggled against various mini bosses and headless a lot more.
We're talking about the same motherfucker that would whip out a giant bow that clipped into the ground and would shoot tree trunk size arrows at you if you tried to "run around and block" - right? I remember trying this strategy and not doing too hot.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
We're talking about the same motherfucker that would whip out a giant bow that clipped into the ground and would shoot tree trunk size arrows at you if you tried to "run around and block" - right? I remember trying this strategy and not doing too hot.
You can parry the arrows from Genichiro, or you can just run ahead of them IIRC. So it'd be like parry the arrows then run up to him and whack him a few times. Then he'd do a series of several attacks followed by a Red Flash attack. So you wanted to deflect the 3 blows then to a Michi Counter or the jumping one each time. Dealing posture damage to him.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nope. At least 2 of my friends were in the same spot. One broke the physical copy of the game in half and threw it away over this fight.
So everyone that beat this boss, is like git gud fgt ( Utnayan Utnayan hahaha), but from my perspective, how the fuck is this fun?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So everyone that beat this boss, is like git gud fgt ( Utnayan Utnayan hahaha), but from my perspective, how the fuck is this fun?

Twitch the game live and let us watch you play. 😂

Honestly though, Sekiro is a different game than regular Dark Souls. I didn’t like that one as much. However, I do like the Dark / Demon souls games and bloodborne. I just didn’t take enough time to learn Sekiro.

I do think though you should stream Dark Souls remastered and let us watch you play. Maybe we can give you some pointers. :)

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I guess the thing that bugs me about this sort of game is the same issue I have with some MMO content -- you have to assume failure in order to 'learn' a boss. Makes it feel less like a storied RPG and more like Mario.

It certainly allows them to make things challenging without having to carefully scaffold the player progression, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

I think that's why I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy this past fall. Each of the boss fights were eminently doable based on existing progression and in-game cues.
Dark souls does the exact same thing. Teaches you how to do what you need to beat a boss during the area up to the boss. Some people are retarded though.

• 2Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Dark souls does the exact same thing. Teaches you how to do what you need to beat a boss during the area up to the boss. Some people are retarded though.
Downs Down Syndrome GIF - Downs Down Syndrome Huh - Discover & Share GIFs

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There's a very good chance I'm bad at games. Lol

I mean I'm not trying to rehash the convo we already had a couple of pages back, but the Dark Souls games literally are trolling everyone. You don't continue playing in a game that has a bunch of cheaters. Or you get pissed if someone is spawn camping. I can't think of more, but I'm sure there are more examples of basically the deck being stacked against you and it's not fun. Yet Souls games do it and it's ok? What's the difference?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Because there is a route to victory that you alone can achieve. Someone who's hacking a game has an advantage that you'll never be able to equal.

There's research that indicates that failing first before victory makes the victory feel sweeter. These games give you that sense of true accomplishment because you weren't perfect and you had to learn and keep trying.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
There's a very good chance I'm bad at games. Lol

I mean I'm not trying to rehash the convo we already had a couple of pages back, but the Dark Souls games literally are trolling everyone. You don't continue playing in a game that has a bunch of cheaters. Or you get pissed if someone is spawn camping. I can't think of more, but I'm sure there are more examples of basically the deck being stacked against you and it's not fun. Yet Souls games do it and it's ok? What's the difference?
It’s challenging and feels awesome when you figure out how to do it. It’s not like it’s impossible like playing against a cheater. It’s “figure this out, memorize some patterns, and you can win”.

I mean I have my limits, I got stuck on a Nioh 2 boss for several hours and wasn’t even getting close. Once it became not fun I quit. Most souls games don’t get me that stuck where I’m making zero progress after hours. When it takes 5-10 tries and you’re slowly making progress the whole time, that’s fine.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Seriously. Nearly ALL Dark Souls or Sekiro bosses have some gimmick. If you find out what it is you can trivialize the boss. Normally the game will give you hints as to what it is.

Just some examples:
  • Darkbeast Paarl in BB -> Hit its legs and it gets stunned (also weak to beast+ damage from saw type weapons).
  • Vicar Amelia in BB -> Fire does a shitload of damage to it.
  • Blood Starved Beast in BB -> Only attacks to one direction. Just dodge attack in the opposite direction and it cannot hit you. Use antidotes for the poison it hits you with if you do.
  • Centipede in Sekiro -> If you attack it normally you will just die to its flurry attack shit. But if you run up to it and just parry all of its attacks you will hit its posture damage (teaching you about the importance of posture dmg more).
  • Father Gascoigne BB -> If you managed to find the music box it will stun him when you play it a few times with diminishing returns.
  • Gorilla in BB -> Just avoid all of its attacks, when it has the sword it will do a series of three strikes. If you deflect them and then use the spear on it you will chunk 1/3 of its health. It makes a very distinct sound when you do it right.

Sekiro has some weirdness with the Genichiro -> Owl -> Ishin fights because of the "samurai duel" theme. It really wants you to play it a certain way focused around dodging, and dealing posture damage through deflections and the Michi Counter. Which minibosses earlier in the game tried to teach you about. Owl and Ishin can be baited into these big jump attacks which let you hit them several times then run off. I don't remember Genichiro being too big a deal but I am sure I died to him like 20 times at least when I was learning it.

• 1Like

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Sekiro wants me to play a way that I have never played any souls game, or any other game, before. Just to beat a a few bosses sprinkled here and there. I think that’s my main problem. I can’t do that riposte shit consistently to save my life.

• 2Like

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
Fuck Owl, died like 100 times. I am usually a bit gud guy but I uninstalled....

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Fuck Owl, died like 100 times. I am usually a bit gud guy but I uninstalled....
In Sekiro I died to Ishin Ashina probably 100 times. Fuck that guy.

Hateyou Hateyou Which Nioh2 boss was it? That frog with the pipe? The early bosses in that game suck too.

• 1Solidarity

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Sekiro got harder bosses than Orphan from BB? Maybe scoop that one out of the Walmart DVD bin one day.

Love a good sweaty palms boss kill.