Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I cheesed that area hard. Bow, arrows and chimneys. Sprinted like mad at the ground to avoid the stabbies then at the ladder up to the place where you need to drop down and run over the roofs, you can see all the archers. I just stood there and shot them ducking behind the chimney for return fires.

Even better if you use a greatbow. One arrow knocks the archers off the rooftops.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The dual crucible knight fight is fun without ashes. And by fun, I mean running around for 95% of the fight fun. sword of night and flame is pretty effective against them though.

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
First half went perfectly aside from a random lack of swing in the beginning, 2nd half was sloppy as fuck but I'll take it.

I'm actually at the site of grace for the Malenia fight but I'm saving that for another day, gonna try and grind out Fire Giant this weekend so I can get the next smithing bell. (I did get a ancient smithing stone and an ancient somber stone from Haligtree area as well.

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I'm back baby.

Day 3: I have done so much backtracking up in the north trying to find shit. Hopefully game progression unlocks some areas that I couldn't find a way to get to. That whole zone is obnoxious to navigate around. Getting teleported all over. Fell to my death in the academy and ended up in some lava up north on respawn. Once I was able to respec I swapped to the build I'm using now which is much safer than the other one. I still have no idea how to use magic. I have the stats and a seal but can't cast Flame Cleanse Me or whatever it's called no matter what I do. Heading off to start clearing Caelid next to see what there is to see. Currently L64 and I think my weapon was +14 or 15. No idea if I'm over leveled or not, but in general everything has felt pretty perfect difficulty wise.

day3.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
One shot the dual gargoyles using Lhutel. Moonveil and cold uchigatana DW, but I pretty much stuck to the moonveil weapon art. Went balls out on first and managed to stun twice. Second I had to hunt and poke a bit as headless bitch died about 25% left on first. I’m level 103.

I know my neighbor used summons each fight. I’m about to stop frankly; if you have a modicum of skill they trivialize almost any fight. Definitely plan to do a summons-less run. I’ve seen two fights they made harder if they stole aggro. Anyway, I’ve been sending him a live journal on PSN each night of how bad he sucks. He’s the faggot that constantly bragged about souls games and his skill.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I'm back baby.

Day 3: I have done so much backtracking up in the north trying to find shit. Hopefully game progression unlocks some areas that I couldn't find a way to get to. That whole zone is obnoxious to navigate around. Getting teleported all over. Fell to my death in the academy and ended up in some lava up north on respawn. Once I was able to respec I swapped to the build I'm using now which is much safer than the other one. I still have no idea how to use magic. I have the stats and a seal but can't cast Flame Cleanse Me or whatever it's called no matter what I do. Heading off to start clearing Caelid next to see what there is to see. Currently L64 and I think my weapon was +14 or 15. No idea if I'm over leveled or not, but in general everything has felt pretty perfect difficulty wise.

View attachment 413592

Not sure if you want to know, but the spot where you have the blue point of interest tag is somewhere I ran around trying to find how to get to it at first too

It's a locked off zone that you get the path to at the end of the Ranni quest line

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm back baby.

View attachment 413592
There’s an encampment of FLAME monks near the church of vows, the one with the turtle you can CLEANSE yourself at. Maybe check that monk encampment for something cool.

Last edited:

Caeden

One shot the dual gargoyles using Lhutel. Moonveil and cold uchigatana DW, but I pretty much stuck to the moonveil weapon art. Went balls out on first and managed to stun twice. Second I had to hunt and poke a bit as headless bitch died about 25% left on first. I’m level 103.

I know my neighbor used summons each fight. I’m about to stop frankly; if you have a modicum of skill they trivialize almost any fight. Definitely plan to do a summons-less run. I’ve seen two fights they made harder if they stole aggro. Anyway, I’ve been sending him a live journal on PSN each night of how bad he sucks. He’s the faggot that constantly bragged about souls games and his skill.
For the record, he and I are friends. This is strictly shit talking. Still he sucks and needs to know.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
For the record, he and I are friends. This is strictly shit talking. Still he sucks and needs to know.

I have a friend who loves the look of Elden Ring and has been reading/watching material about it for months, but hasn't actually gotten it because he thinks it's too hard/stressful to play.

Basically he bought into all the "it needs an easy mode" whacktivists.

I maintained that an easy mode would ruin it because people like me who take the path of least resistance would be able to remove challenges without having to use our brain. Instead there are ways to make the game easier (builds, summons), but you have to put some thought into it.

IMO aside from a few specific fights, the game isn't hard. It isn't easy either. Don't want either of those. It's kind of medium, just right, with options that make it easier. Overleveling and using summons is the equivalent of playing on easy, but you still have to "earn" it by doing the work and finding/leveling the summons, so it doesn't feel cheap.

Any suggestions on how to snap the guy out of his whacktivist brainwashing so he gives the game a try? I mean, this guy easily beat Ninja Gaiden on XBox back in the day, and even though he's all old now, I think he's still got more than enough skill to handle this game fine and it'd be an incredible experience for him.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I have a friend who loves the look of Elden Ring and has been reading/watching material about it for months, but hasn't actually gotten it because he thinks it's too hard/stressful to play.

I maintained that an easy mode would ruin it because people like me who take the path of least resistance would be able to remove challenges without having to use our brain. Instead there are ways to make the game easier (builds, summons), but you have to put some thought into it.

IMO aside from a few specific fights, the game isn't hard. It isn't easy either. Don't want either of those. It's kind of medium, just right, with options that make it easier. Overleveling and using summons is the equivalent of playing on easy, but you still have to "earn" it by doing the work and finding/leveling the summons, so it doesn't feel cheap.

Any suggestions on how to snap the guy out of his whacktivist brainwashing so he gives the game a try? I mean, this guy easily beat Ninja Gaiden on XBox back in the day, and even though he's all old now, I think he's still got more than enough skill to handle this game fine and it'd be an incredible experience for him.
Just tell him he’s a fucking retard and to buy it, it’s not super hard. Don’t look to game journalists to get difficulty ratings, they’re not good at games.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider

Use reverse psychology:

“You know, you’re right. This game isn’t for pussies. Probably best if you don’t get it”.

• 1Like

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Well I was right, Fire Giant is a bitch...the fight wouldn't be bad except pretty much everything one shots me, Phase 2 is really rough since even with the bubble tear that negates physical it doesn't help with the fire.

I have P1 down pretty solid but P2 keeps killing me. Best I had him to was the "n" in his name on the health bar. Sucks because one more bleed proc he would've been down. I'll get him though, then Godskin duo may make me give up.

Edit: spelling due to fat fingers on phone

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
There’s an encampment of FLAME monks near the church of vows, the one with the turtle you can CLEANSE yourself at. Maybe check that monk encampment for something cool.

I'm just retarded apparently and thought all I needed to do was press up on the dpad for it to cast 🔥. Can tell I have used a lot of magic in these games <_<.

Not sure if you want to know, but the spot where you have the blue point of interest tag is somewhere I ran around trying to find how to get to it at first too

It's a locked off zone that you get the path to at the end of the Ranni quest line

Well I hope I don't break the quest line then. Trying hard to not murder hobo things needlessly.

As someone who has done blind DS1/DS3/BB/Sekiro this game is far and away the least punishing for death/exploration and has the ability to become very safe very quickly to tune that difficulty way down. I'd recommend this game to even terrible gamers while the others on my list I'd not recommend to anyone who values their gaming time good player or not. =O

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well I was right, Fire Giant is a bitch...the fight wouldn't be bad except pretty much everything one shots me, Phase 2 is really rough since even with the bubble tear that negates physical it doesn't help with the fire.

I have P1 down pretty solid but P2 keeps killing me. Best I had him to was the "n" in his name on the health bar. Sucks because one more bleed proc he would've been down. I'll get him though, then Godskin duo may make me give up.

Edit: spelling due to fat fingers on phone
Sleep pots for Godskin

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have never played a souls game other than the aforementioned way earlier in this thread foray for an hour into Dark Souls and not even beating the intro boss and never playing again. I’ve put 70 hours into this game in the last month. If something gets too hard I move somewhere else, or go back to earlier area and fuck up some boss I skipped 30 hours ago in order to feel better about myself. I also did double scimitar bleed build and it was pretty cheesy up until about level 60 when I was done with Renalla (which I was probably overleveled for). I’m level 100 now and moved onto Moonveil build for the last 20 levels or so. Frozen Lands are kind of humbling me so I’m going back to doing a bunch of shit I skipped.

Anyways all of this has been said before in this thread and elsewhere, but count me as someone who thought this game would be too hard and it definitely is the perfect amount of challenging.

• 7Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Caeden

I’m one that said fuck this to Ninja Gaiden Black back in the day. I just couldn’t “get it” whereas the slow, methodical cerebral patterning of elden ring feels right. I still fuck up timing on dodging certain move sets (crucible knights are one) but once you get it down, it’s almost like a QuickTime event when you see the windups. Not that easy by any means but you know which way to push the stick and when to hit the button and you know which move you can pull off. Then you hit the L1 button one time to many because you’re a greedy fucker and you get a broadsword to the face.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users